Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 10:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times

Advertisements

Ruth, thanks for those suggestions! I’d love to get a light but lofty alpaca sweater, or one of the gorgeous sweaters I saw somewhere in BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 10:40 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. And in winter, wool turtlenecks underneath another layer (or just on their own). They're good under a blazer, for people who still dress in that type of office attire.

Try to tell President Carter that sweaters aren't work attire, lol!

Actually, I was thinking more of US Marines and any other service where not only are sweaters part of work attire but they have become qualification standards, where you don't get wear them if you don't have that pin.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:41 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Ruth, thanks for those suggestions! I’d love to get a light but lofty alpaca sweater, or one of the gorgeous sweaters I saw somewhere in BC.
Yes, no need to give up on woolens just because of cost. You just need to spend some time browsing the internet, to come up with lower-priced alternatives to the usual vendors. And you'll have fun browsing the online offerings of those two companies, too.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:43 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Fleece pullovers and jackets have taken a big chunk out of sweater popularity in the last 30 years. Machine washable, quick-drying, nonshrinking, lightweight, and available in thin to thick lofts: all make it an attractive alternative to knit sweaters.
Except for the whole microfiber plastic pollution from fleece issue:

It's Sad, but True: Your Favorite Fleece Jacket Is Bad for the Environment

Your Laundry Sheds Harmful Microfibers. Here’s What You Can Do About It.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:55 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There is definitely that as a disadvantage to fleece. I was shocked when I read that it had that effect on the environment. It only came to my attention a few years ago.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:05 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Sweaters I do not own are any that can't be thrown in the washer and dryer.

I dress in multiple layers because I always feel cold when other people find it comfortable not wearing a sweater. The sweater may be the outer layer of 3 layered tops. Prefer button down styles that can be easily removed as I warm up, with pockets if at all possible. Pullover sweaters are a hassle to take off an outer layer of clothing if I start to warm up.

I prefer deep rectangular pockets or zippered pockets on the sweater so I can safely stash my phone in the pocket. At the very least an angled pocket where I can stash a tissue. The sweater needs to be functional, warm, a place to carry my keys or other items, easy to remove if I warm up and need to remove one layer of clothing.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:29 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Jimmy Carter was ridiculed for his casual-sweater look.

I do, however, appreciate the sweater links. Alpaca would be great to have, but I can't justify the cost, given that the weather would almost never be cold enough for it. If I were rich, I'd be buying sweaters left and right just to have soft, pretty, sometimes unusual things.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:31 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Update: I bought a cardigan for myself. I think the dark, cable-knit type can look good on men, but I got one closer to the Jimmy Carter style. Mainly for added, at-home warmth, because it was on sale and I want the novelty and to see if it's better than I think.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:39 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Today's high is 33. You can bet I'm wearing a sweater. I'd be wearing two if I could just find my cashmere turtleneck ...

Most of my sweaters are cotton, with a few wool, cashmere, or acrylic tossed in for fun. I have cardigans, dusters, wraps, pullovers, buttoned, unbuttoned, hooded, not hooded, turtlenecks, mock necks, V necks, cowl necks, and every color of the rainbow. Some are lightweight enough to wear in the summer, while others I trot out only on the coldest days.

My favorite sweater is an old grey silk/cotton cardigan with satin ribbon trim. it's starting to get holes around the pockets and the armpit seams, which bums me out. I don't wear it in public anymore, just around the house. I'll miss that thing when it finally has had enough.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:40 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I love me a nice bulky wool sweater, so since I moved to GA I have sweaters I couldn’t part with that I haven’t worn more than twice in 12 years. I still have kids in the frozen north, so you never know.

Same with coats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty