Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 02:12 AM

61,718 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Power out this morning in the Texas hill country. House temp probably dropped to 64 or so. In undies, sweat pants, leg warmers, socks, boots, tee, sweatshirt, wooly pully ...... and then field jacket and hat for outside.
Layering yes.......but fun layering.
All that while it was 64F?????
What do you wear when it's 24F??

Today was 64F and while out and about, I had light sweater over short sleeve shirt on. The sweater was unzipped.

I do have a medium heavy sweater in my car all year around. "Just in case". Texas weather is unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 06:51 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
All that while it was 64F?????
What do you wear when it's 24F??

Today was 64F and while out and about, I had light sweater over short sleeve shirt on. The sweater was unzipped.

I do have a medium heavy sweater in my car all year around. "Just in case". Texas weather is unpredictable.
More of it!

Old 02-05-2023, 10:00 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I gave my alpaca sweater away a couple of days after buying it. Too itchy.

But my boho side does love the panache of a poncho. And Bachelor Son did borrow it for Halloween one year and made a great Bright Eyes. He also borrowed a striped sweater I once had (and had it first) to play Freddy Krueger. After that I gave it to Goodwill.

It' had looked good with a broad shouldered 1980s leather and denim jacket but I didn't like the idea of reminding people of "Nightmare on Elm Street."

Old 02-05-2023, 11:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I gave my alpaca sweater away a couple of days after buying it. Too itchy.

But my boho side does love the panache of a poncho. And Bachelor Son did borrow it for Halloween one year and made a great Bright Eyes. He also borrowed a striped sweater I once had (and had it first) to play Freddy Krueger. After that I gave it to Goodwill.

It' had looked good with a broad shouldered 1980s leather and denim jacket but I didn't like the idea of reminding people of "Nightmare on Elm Street."
That’s a good thing to know. Guess I won’t be buying alpaca knits.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:21 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That’s a good thing to know. Guess I won’t be buying alpaca knits.
Some people are just more sensitive to wool and alpaca than others. I know people who gush about how soft these sweaters are, but I'm like the princess and the pea. If there's a little bit of wool content in a sweater, I will feel like I'm wearing a sweater made out of a scrub sponge.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
One thing about the poncho in cloth is that one can easily go to the "Bright Eyes" look (Clint, spaghetti western) by pushing the front up to make it a cape. It is not perfect.......but it does work when the weather gets warmer in the day.

I am by not means a fashion expert but I have used things like the llama wool parka or a long split leather skirt as much for wind breaks as for their hot look.
I would love to have a tight-woven cotton poplin serape. UV protection without sunscreen, some windproofing but lots of ventilation thanks to the loose, open fit. Have not seen that Clint movie, but I can think of a western-type reason for wearing a loose, open cover garment as standard practice. I actually began searching online for such a piece, for the reasons given.

If I could sew and had the right sewing machine, it would be a piece of cake. We do have a good seamstress in town...

Old 02-05-2023, 12:45 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I would love to have a tight-woven cotton poplin serape. UV protection without sunscreen, some windproofing but lots of ventilation thanks to the loose, open fit. Have not seen that Clint movie, but I can think of a western-type reason for wearing a loose, open cover garment as standard practice. I actually began searching online for such a piece, for the reasons given.

If I could sew and had the right sewing machine, it would be a piece of cake. We do have a good seamstress in town...
Keywords: Clint Eastwood spaghetti western poncho

It is such a famous look, I don't think you will have any trouble finding a picture of it. Moreso, as it is such a famous look......it is what John Ritter is wearing in the western battle scenes of "Stay Tuned".

Old 02-05-2023, 02:01 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Some people are just more sensitive to wool and alpaca than others. I know people who gush about how soft these sweaters are, but I'm like the princess and the pea. If there's a little bit of wool content in a sweater, I will feel like I'm wearing a sweater made out of a scrub sponge.
I can't tolerate most woolly fiber touching the skin either. Another reason fleece works better for me. I don't wear thicker fleece garments that cling too close because they do get too warm. Cotton absorbs too much moisture which can be dangerous in the cold. If I wear enough cotton or silk layering underneath I can get away with a wool sweater or shirt but at that point I often end up not needing the sweater!

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-05-2023 at 02:26 PM..

Old 02-05-2023, 02:09 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Quote:
One thing about the poncho in cloth is that one can easily go to the "Bright Eyes" look (Clint, spaghetti western) by pushing the front up to make it a cape. It is not perfect.......but it does work when the weather gets warmer in the day.

I am by not means a fashion expert but I have used things like the llama wool parka or a long split leather skirt as much for wind breaks as for their hot look.
I have one Chicos gray cashmere poncho. When I get a chill I'll put it on, but it is sort of annoying.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:17 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I have one Chicos gray cashmere poncho. When I get a chill I'll put it on, but it is sort of annoying.
My sister sent me this weird cowl necked semi-sweater-poncho thing for Christmas last year. It pulls over your head and has sleeves like a sweater, but it is blousy and open all the way down the sides like a poncho. Makes no sense. The weight of the garment is obviously intended for cooler conditions but being so open to that chilly air won't keep you warm. The sleeves are too bulky and wide to wear a coat over it. Bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty