Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2023, 11:28 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times

Advertisements

Long pointed fake fingernails. Good grief. Wearing open-toed anything when the feet and toenails are trashed. Again, good grief! Cover them up for the sake of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 11:29 AM

5,010 posts, read 591,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Another one is when either men or women wear things that make them look like absolute trailer trash, especially when the clothes are dirty. I mean, can you not at least try to look presentable in public? Standards have fallen so low...
That's like my neighbor. I often feel like saying "I can't believe you left your home looking like that."

Old 02-27-2023, 02:35 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
1) Sandals/flipflops/Crocs of any sort on men.
IMO, sandals are ok on men if they are worn stylishly & he has good hygiene but ITA about flip flops & Crocs….especially with pants or jeans.

Quote:

Another one is when either men or women wear things that make them look like absolute trailer trash, especially when the clothes are dirty. I mean, can you not at least try to look presentable in public? Standards have fallen so low...
If they are dirty or look like trailer trash, they might be poor & unable to afford fashionable clothes or they don’t care about fashion. It looks awful & I would feel bad for them BUT IMO, it’s not a fashion pet peeve because it’s not about fashion at all.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 02-27-2023 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-27-2023, 03:21 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I have never liked those "cold shoulder" blouses, but especially on a woman over 50. Just can't pull it off, anymore than wearing somthing that's low cleavage. Women over that age just don't have the youthful "skin tone" that is needed to pull that off.

And I can say that because I'm over that age.

Saw a woman the other day out at a restaurant in robe and slippers. I mean come on now. How low do we really have to be willing to go these days......

Old 02-27-2023, 03:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
1) Sandals/flipflops/Crocs of any sort on men.

2) The seemingly acceptable wear of 'sleep pants' in public... for men especially. Get dressed!

3) 'Ripped' jeans. I didn't get it when a couple tears were OK... now the teenagers are wearing stuff that's just shredded.
Agree with you on 2 & 3.

For #1, I don't like Crocs on anyone. But men wearing sandals & nice flip flops? That's fine. I've lived in the south and west. Lots of men wear sandals. I consider Rainbows as flip flops and my whole family has always had a few of those.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:56 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Agree with you on 2 & 3.

For #1, I don't like Crocs on anyone. But men wearing sandals & nice flip flops? That's fine. I've lived in the south and west. Lots of men wear sandals. I consider Rainbows as flip flops and my whole family has always had a few of those.
A lot of REEF flip flops around here, they are nice.

Old 02-27-2023, 05:08 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
There are plenty of styles I would never wear (starting with bikinis), and loads of clothing I think look bad on others, but I wouldn't call any of them "peeves", either pet or free range.

Yeah, I get judgemental about anybody wearing droopy cargo shorts or overly tight clothing, but I recognize that it's my opinion.

And sometimes an outfit shows body "flaws" that remind me of what I try to hide, and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Incidentally, I used to think flip flops and rubber clogs only belonged on the beach. Then I moved to the wet, humid tropics and discovered they were great for all those warm, rainy days, when other shoes get soaked.
Now I live in the desert and still wear rubber clogs because they're super comfortable. My feet are ugly but happy.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:07 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
... Wearing open-toed anything when the feet and toenails are trashed. Again, good grief! Cover them up for the sake of others.
Forgot about this! I'd never judge someone for not painting finger/toenails to begin with... but it seems like an entire generation of women don't know there's nail polish remover for those times weeks after the last pedicure.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:19 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
True, but I was referring to people who don't oil or lotion their feet, and also those who have crusty yellow gunk under their toenails. i saw some of that as a massage therapist. If people want a heavenly foot massage, they need to take care of their fee properly. But in this case, showing all that instead of wearing a sensible closed toe shot or sandal is really gross.

Wearing ill-fitting dirty clothing or open toed footwear with icky feet and toes is a fashion choice. It's in the category of no fashion sense.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:05 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
True, but I was referring to people who don't oil or lotion their feet, and also those who have crusty yellow gunk under their toenails. i saw some of that as a massage therapist. If people want a heavenly foot massage, they need to take care of their fee properly. But in this case, showing all that instead of wearing a sensible closed toe shot or sandal is really gross.

Is wearing a “sensible” closed toe shoe any better tho…if their feet are that disgusting? They can’t wear shoes all the time. I couldn’t imagine having to give anyone a pedicure or foot massage that had feet like that. I’m lucky I’ve never had to see it. As a RN, I used to work in a hospital but just about everybody had socks or slippers on when they were out of bed. IMO that’s not fashion tho ofc.

How long were you a massage therapist pathrunner? Was it very common to see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty