Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2023, 08:45 PM

24,102 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I have never liked those "cold shoulder" blouses, but especially on a woman over 50. Just can't pull it off, anymore than wearing somthing that's low cleavage. Women over that age just don't have the youthful "skin tone" that is needed to pull that off.

And I can say that because I'm over that age.

Saw a woman the other day out at a restaurant in robe and slippers. I mean come on now. How low do we really have to be willing to go these days......
I don't like cold shoulder tops either. I thought they were faddish ten years ago, but they are still here. I think they appeal to women who are a little overweight and want to be cool or show a little skin. They are often worn with capris in the warmer months. I think they are here to stay.

Skinny jeans have been "out" for a few years. I liked them. I don't like "bell bottoms". "wide legs" flairs" or any of those. I didn't like them in the 70s, either.

Where I lived wide legged jeans with really high waists were worn by young women who frequented discos and wore a lot of makeup.

In my area, straight long hair was popular, straight jeans, less makeup, rock and country rock, folk and no disco.

Now I'll look for ankle length straight pants and live in sun dresses in the summer. I detest wide legs or bell bottoms. Boot legs are OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 08:24 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I am with selhars.

My biggest pet peeve is definitely watching somebody having to hitch up their pants every 8 steps because their pants waist is obviously 4 sizes too large and will fall off.

How TF is that cool? It points to 100% dysfunction for the role of your pants.

The "proper" way to do it is to get a waistline that is maybe 2 sizes larger so that it rides your hips. It doesn't threaten to fall off. You still get to show off your calvin klein. It's not a look that I think is good, but at least it's not idiotic in dysfunction.

I still see ppl doing that now (once in a while). Trying to be gansta or something, but ending up looking like an imbecile for needing to pull up his pants 39 times while walking 2 blocks.
A good ole belt ought to fix that.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:01 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I am with selhars.

My biggest pet peeve is definitely watching somebody having to hitch up their pants every 8 steps because their pants waist is obviously 4 sizes too large and will fall off.

How TF is that cool? It points to 100% dysfunction for the role of your pants.

The "proper" way to do it is to get a waistline that is maybe 2 sizes larger so that it rides your hips. It doesn't threaten to fall off. You still get to show off your calvin klein. It's not a look that I think is good, but at least it's not idiotic in dysfunction.

I still see ppl doing that now (once in a while). Trying to be gansta or something, but ending up looking like an imbecile for needing to pull up his pants 39 times while walking 2 blocks.
It ain't their Calvin Klein they want to show off

Old 03-01-2023, 09:21 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
A few years ago, I was waiting for someone in the store, and while I was waiting, there was this guy who was vacuuming out his car, in the car wash place next door. He was dressed 'nice' except for wearing his pants loose, where he had to hitch them up all the time. I got the impression that maybe he had a date later, and he was getting his car ready for the date.

It was humorous to watch him trying to vacuum his car. He had to stop often to pull his pants up, and when he would bend over, his pants would dip even lower, and I got the feeling he wasn't really enjoying the the whole bother of it all. lol

But he was entertaining. lol

It's not a pet peeve of mine. I really just have the one....wearing flared pants too short, and wearing heels with denim. OK. 2 pet peeves. lol

Old 03-01-2023, 09:32 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
That reminds me: wearing sneakers, boots (Doc Martens etc.) or tennis shoes with a beautiful gown.

High fashion at shows, "fashion" that no one would ever wear anywhere except on a runway.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:40 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Just please don't wear cowboy boots and a cowboy hat unless you are herding cattle

ITA. Cowboy hats, cowboy boots & baseball hats are NOT fashion.

Old 03-01-2023, 03:08 PM

7,057 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
ITA. Cowboy hats, cowboy boots & baseball hats are NOT fashion.
I’m no fashion queen or fashion expert, but I like the look of western boots with a nice pair of jeans. No different than any other style of boot. All depends what you like.

Old 03-01-2023, 03:14 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
I like my cowboy boots a lot. They're quite gorgeous, IMO.

Old 03-01-2023, 03:18 PM

7,057 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I like my cowboy boots a lot. They're quite gorgeous, IMO.
I loved mine when I could wear them. My old toes don’t like them any more. Always wanted a pair of colorful Old Gringoes!

Old 03-01-2023, 03:26 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I’m no fashion queen or fashion expert, but I like the look of western boots with a nice pair of jeans. No different than any other style of boot. All depends what you like.

IMO, they are a lot different than other styles of boots…on me or on my man. One of a lot of things we connected on right away tho. ITA, it all depends what you like & I don’t like western wear. I don’t think it’s fashionable. It always looks the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty