Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 06:58 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I don't want to start anything BUT, I strongly disagree with your viewpoint.

You just judged ME as being frumpy and unattractive.

I'm not mad....just wondering why you are so disparaging
Honey, then I'm "frumpy and unattractive" too. But them's the breaks-- that's how society sees it. If you're not a young, attractive female, you're out of luck. I didn't say it was MY opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did not read that as her own personal opinion, but rather as a statement about how society views gray hair and glasses (both of which describe me, too).
Yes. I thought that was clear from the fact that we were discussing what is "trendy," which is determined by society, not by me (unfortunately, or things would be very different around here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 12:08 AM

5,010 posts, read 591,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
we were discussing what is "trendy,"
We were discussing Lisa LaFlamme and her on-trend hair color. Then you brought up how unattractive glasses are on women with natural grey hair. I don't agree. I think they can look phenomenal.
Attached Thumbnails
Fired for going gray?-331d4ef45d78a8d3f49a24a97d547db2.jpg  

Old 03-08-2023, 06:05 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Honey, then I'm "frumpy and unattractive" too. But them's the breaks-- that's how society sees it. If you're not a young, attractive female, you're out of luck. I didn't say it was MY opinion.

Yes. I thought that was clear from the fact that we were discussing what is "trendy," which is determined by society, not by me (unfortunately, or things would be very different around here).
I think there are plenty of older style icons. Prue Leith comes to mind as a woman who rocks incredible glasses and has natural gray hair. She even has her own line of glasses because her bright, chunky frames are just so iconic and fantastic. The crazy glasses I have that get compliments are from the Iris Apfel line on Zenni, and she’s over 100 and still stylish.

Is someone who is 55 going to be able to rock the same “young and fresh” look as someone who is 23? Of course not, but they can still have their own sense of style and look incredible.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:21 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did not read that as her own personal opinion, but rather as a statement about how society views gray hair and glasses (both of which describe me, too).
It is increasingly clear to me that there are more than a few posters on C-D who simply cannot help but take every. single. post. personally and frequently as a personal attack.

We discuss things in general terms here. It's not all about you!

Old 03-08-2023, 06:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It is increasingly clear to me that there are more than a few posters on C-D who simply cannot help but take every. single. post. personally and frequently as a personal attack.

I've personally attacked (in a more or less subtle way - or maybe not so subtle) a few fibbers over in the education, work, non romantic relationships and exercise forum. This adds up to maybe 3 total people (some being roaming fibbers to different topics) in my posting history.

If their posts contradict their other posts and they are obviously being silly or offensive and gaffing people, I can't help myself.

So I am a guilty party for attacking. I have been a good person lately though and I am glad about that. The fibbers have taken a break and I like to be a positive person when posting.

On topic, I think this newscaster and the other examples are striking women.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:02 AM

5,010 posts, read 591,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

I take a special interest on this topic that's all...I'm sorry if you find me exasperating.

It's not like I was immediately off to the races thinking specifically that I was being criticized.

I just spent a massive amount of money on my crowning glory and new frames, and everyone is telling me I look gorgeous.

I apologize for being annoying.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:10 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I take a special interest on this topic that's all...I'm sorry if you find me exasperating.

It's not like I was immediately off to the races thinking specifically that I was being criticized.

I just spent a massive amount of money on my crowning glory and new frames, and everyone is telling me I look gorgeous.

I apologize for being annoying.
People who own their looks and accomplishments are certainly not annoying. You have invested in something that greatly compliments you and others comment on. I think it says a lot for you for the enjoyment you receive from something that you obviously "wear very well!"

Old 03-08-2023, 08:32 AM

2,116 posts, read 1,321,829 times
I/we don't know what really happened to the firing Lisa LaFlamme's case. But we all know she's a very smart, intelligent, beautiful and famous lady. She has so many awards. So, she has a great leverage. She's an advocate. If she were fired for the wrong reason, I'm sure she knows how to fight back. I believe she knows a lot of strong lawyers; and many of them would be very happy to take her case.

Maybe the company fired her for whatever reason (personal or business), but they gave her a giant package of compensation and requested her to sign an agreement of some kind. It's very, very sad to be fired. But she's such a strong lady, she can move on easily. Who knows many other companies want to grab her fast? But she's selective. Now, she may take a break and keep looking for what she wants at the same time

Old 03-08-2023, 09:32 AM

8,056 posts, read 7,429,348 times
I keep telling my wife to "go hippie" an d stop coloring her hair. But she insists on getting it dyed!

Old 03-08-2023, 10:02 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I keep telling my wife to "go hippie" an d stop coloring her hair. But she insists on getting it dyed!
Tie dyed?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty