Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 04:58 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You should always do what's right for you in that particular stage of your life. From a man's perspective, it's not sexually attractive. If that's not your concern, then that's fine and you should focus on your health.
Quote:
I can [SPEAK FOR ALL MEN]. It's not controversial or unknown.
No, you can't, as Steiconi pointed out. You could have written "From this man's perspective" or maybe even "I think from most men's perspective," but why not just speak for YOURSELF?

I know lots of men with female partners who lost their hair for one reason or another (often chemo) and it didn't always grow back. Wow, amazingly enough, the men stuck around, maybe because it's just HAIR and the person INSIDE the body is someone they, you know, LOVED? What an idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 10:08 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,038,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Thanks in advance everyone.
I'm not asking about hair care, but about how people feel about seeing a bald woman.

Does anyone have any stories or thoughts on the perceptions of bald women?

Obviously, it's very rare to see one. But I have to admit when I do see one, I just automatically assume that person must have a certain confidence to accept and sport a bald look.

I have alopecia and am thinking about just going to a shaved head. Not razor-shaved, but close-shaved clipper "bald" like Jada Poet Smith at last year's Oscars.

I've lost hair over more than 3/4 of my scalp. But the hair I do have is long enough that until now I've been able to wear a comb-over style.

And I'm getting more and more tired of doing that. And dealing with my condition and hair, period.

I would plan to wear wigs, and head wraps at times.......which I could do whether I go shaved or not.
But for the most part I'm thinking of just getting rid of the little hair I have and going down to a clean pate.

So much of the majority of men and women seem to be "into" hair, I'm just trying to collect opinions to figure out how I feel about baldness for me. Am I ready for the looks I may get? I don't know.
G.I. Jane
Demi Moore was a pretty girl anyway but she rocked the bald look. I have a friend that wears a hair piece when she goes out. Another that shaved her head and she's rocking it too. It's all in what you want.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:31 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Rep. Ayanna Pressley has been pretty public with her diagnosis of alopecia: https://www.npr.org/2020/01/17/79729...-with-alopecia

A lot about women's looks is tied up with hair, but sometimes leaning into your situation rather than fighting it is the right way to go.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:56 AM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
You need a very pretty face and good shaped head to look good without hair. Most people cannot compare themselves to GI Jane and Jada Smith. Colored people also always seem to look better/healthier without a full head of hair than someone who is very white. White = sickly looking often times.

I would not look good without hair and would wear wigs if I had hair issues.

Old 04-12-2023, 04:26 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
I can. It's not controversial or unknown.
I have to disagree. Like anything else, it depends on the person. But, I happen to find buzzed or shaved heads quite attractive on some women. My wife has had buzzed hair at one point and it looked great. One other woman I dated while I was single often kept her hair buzzed short and it looked great on her. She was actually a model as well. It was quite striking.

I think it's very arrogant for any single person to assume their taste applies to everyone.

Old 04-12-2023, 04:33 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Or maybe get a very good wig? Other option - stay away from The Academy Awards, where appearances are everything.

The abusive bully was Will Smith. I saw it.

An acquaintance with Alopecia Areata, opened a wig store and started a local foundation and support group.

Poor Jada Pinkett Smith...boo hoo.

I've known attractive women who choose to shave their heads. I have known women undergoing cancer treatments who wear wigs, and some who don't.

The ones who choose not to cover their hair loss usually want to talk about it. It will be mentioned by others.

Formerly attractive women, at least to me. If you are bald due to cancer treatment, OK. If you simply decide to shave your head or get a GI type haircut, well, if you wanted to make sure I would never approach you, you got that right.

Shaved head, helmet hair, man-cut, etc. mean you get a hard pass from me right there, regardless of what else you have going on.

That's just me though. Maybe some guys like it.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:23 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Maybe some guys are so superficial and selfish that women don't want to be approached by them.

OP, see if google will find you some photos of Jada Pinkett Smith wearing a beaded or jeweled hairpiece. They are gorgeous.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:04 AM

403 posts, read 221,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You need a very pretty face and good shaped head to look good without hair. Most people cannot compare themselves to GI Jane and Jada Smith. Colored people also always seem to look better/healthier without a full head of hair than someone who is very white. White = sickly looking often times.

I would not look good without hair and would wear wigs if I had hair issues.
Ditto!

Once I met an absolutely beautiful woman on a beach. She was in her 40s, bold, very pale. She was wearing two-piece swimsuit. Apart from being very pale - she was perfect - perfect shape of head, perfect figure - without an ounce of fat, perfect facial symmetry. No make up. Confident - she owned the world, but without any false pretense, down to earth talk. It did not matter that she was bold - she was out of this world beautiful.
Really beautiful people one meets once or twice in a lifetime and never forgets them.

I am loosing my hair and will not look good without hair also. I cannot wear wigs but own a couple of toppers. They are not rigid and if you mix with your own hair - impossible to tell you are wearing them.
The important thing is - to match the color perfectly.

Watch Youtube videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8p4v1WX0_Q

For a windy summer day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2-fEctxQU8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty