Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 11:16 PM

10,622 posts, read 12,167,534 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance everyone.
I'm not asking about hair care, but about how people feel about seeing a bald woman.

Does anyone have any stories or thoughts on the perceptions of bald women?

Obviously, it's very rare to see one. But I have to admit when I do see one, I just automatically assume that person must have a certain confidence to accept and sport a bald look.

I have alopecia and am thinking about just going to a shaved head. Not razor-shaved, but close-shaved clipper "bald" like Jada Poet Smith at last year's Oscars.

I've lost hair over more than 3/4 of my scalp. But the hair I do have is long enough that until now I've been able to wear a comb-over style.

And I'm getting more and more tired of doing that. And dealing with my condition and hair, period.

I would plan to wear wigs, and head wraps at times.......which I could do whether I go shaved or not.
But for the most part I'm thinking of just getting rid of the little hair I have and going down to a clean pate.

So much of the majority of men and women seem to be "into" hair, I'm just trying to collect opinions to figure out how I feel about baldness for me. Am I ready for the looks I may get? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 02:11 AM

371 posts, read 367,796 times
Hair extensions,l I wear welfts, I am like you. A new system came out bu hair dreams where they sew the wig onto the hair.. doesnt take much hair at all. You can also get hair replacement. I know several women who use all of these systems and nobody would ever know. Yes we all have alopecia.

Old 04-09-2023, 07:44 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,729,585 times
I know a few bald women, some due to illness (losing it from chemo, for example), and some just because they like the look.

I think it helps to remember that one's worth isn't in their hair (despite what Samson might say), and to go into the look with confidence.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:01 PM

I like to think I could rock the look. But I've never had no hair.

Until my alopecia, I'd always had a full head of long thick hair.
Never needed extensions. Never cared about wigs. Never wore head scarves.

We'll see.
I just love the confidence I've seen in bald and shorn hair women.

(Might acceptance have been a process? Might they have inner insecurities? Maybe. Don't we all. But when I've seen them they have owned their look.)

Old 04-10-2023, 11:40 AM

30,605 posts, read 16,289,950 times
you wouldn't be the only one.

yea, you might get some starnge looks because it's not the norm. People will get over it and probably not think anything about it.

https://www.mollytuttlemusic.com/alopeciaareata

Old 04-10-2023, 12:32 PM

5,690 posts, read 3,188,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Thanks in advance everyone.
I'm not asking about hair care, but about how people feel about seeing a bald woman.

Does anyone have any stories or thoughts on the perceptions of bald women?

Obviously, it's very rare to see one. But I have to admit when I do see one, I just automatically assume that person must have a certain confidence to accept and sport a bald look.

I have alopecia and am thinking about just going to a shaved head. Not razor-shaved, but close-shaved clipper "bald" like Jada Poet Smith at last year's Oscars.

I've lost hair over more than 3/4 of my scalp. But the hair I do have is long enough that until now I've been able to wear a comb-over style.

And I'm getting more and more tired of doing that. And dealing with my condition and hair, period.

I would plan to wear wigs, and head wraps at times.......which I could do whether I go shaved or not.
But for the most part I'm thinking of just getting rid of the little hair I have and going down to a clean pate.

So much of the majority of men and women seem to be "into" hair, I'm just trying to collect opinions to figure out how I feel about baldness for me. Am I ready for the looks I may get? I don't know.
I've seen some bald women, and they look stunning. I suppose it might depend on the shape of the head, cheek bones, etc, but the ladies I'm thinking of, they looked amazing.

If it were me, it'd be hard for ME to accept my bald head, I think. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable going out in public with my bald head...but like I said, I've seen some amazing women.

Old 04-10-2023, 12:41 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,223,271 times
IMO if you think you can rock the look and are even considering the option, it already says to me that this is a good move for you!

And I understand your hesitance (I could never do something like that) but in the end, it WILL grow back. It may take some time and you will have options until then.

I have seen some women who went super short shaved/bald and yeah, I thought they looked great.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:32 AM

8,360 posts, read 273,525 times
@selhars

I have had 2 relationships with bald women. Here(UK) it is not uncommon and not thought of as strange.

Cheers JaiSea

Last edited by JaiSea; 04-11-2023 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-11-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
.......but in the end, it WILL grow back. .....
Well, the little I have that's not affected by the alopecia might.
That's not much, and my hair now is mostly around the edges. 3/4 of the top center and back is bald. That's why I'm thinking of just sheering what remains.

But thanks for the encouragement and boost!

Old 04-11-2023, 05:55 AM

863 posts, read 980,661 times
Have you seen a DR for the alopecia? I have heard of new advances in treatment. I guess the hardest point would be the stares you would get while out as you are right you do not see many bald women...hope everything works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty