Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 09:01 PM

1,850 posts, read 827,310 times

Advertisements

I have to say, the items I dyed were cotton, wool, rayon, no polyester blends.

The down jacket that I dyed was originally bright red. I wanted a more subtle color, so I used black Rit dye & the jacket came out dark burgundy or maroon, which was fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 01:21 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I would like to add that sometimes even if the item will dye the seam threads may be synthetic and will not. So you could end up with a darker item with light pink threads. BTDT
This has happened to me. I dyed light colored 100% cotton jeans a much darker color. The fabric turned out fine, but all the seams stayed light/white. Stuck out like a sore thumb! I ended up with "accents" I never intended. The garment's final color was critical. Luckily, I found a Sharpie permanent marker that matched closely enough but it took forever to dab ink on all those stitches!

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-20-2023 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-20-2023, 03:03 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,023,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Okay; I thought it might react badly with the dye or something (like putting metal in a microwave).

Good to know!
I'd be cautious, too, about using aluminum, unless someone here has done it. Formulas change as newer chemicals become better, so maybe that's not an issue today.

But, just like hair color in the old days, it couldn't be mixed in metal as it had a reaction when metal meets color & turned it odd colors, like green. No hairdresser today uses metal ever (I'm a hairdresser)... color & bleach are always mixed in plastic bowls.

I'd think with dye it could also be possible, which is why whenever I see YTube dying vids, they use plastic containers. I have however used an old enamel pot to dye.

I'd like to know if someone has used aluminum pots to dye?

Old 04-21-2023, 06:40 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,727,994 times
I never expected so many replies, and so many of them helpful!

Thank you all so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I used to dye stuff all the time, from towels to a down jacket, which I still wear, in the washing machine, also did tie-dye in the sink. I just followed instructions on the Rit dye package. Everything came out as planned.

For the washing machine, I remember doing a cycle with hot water & bleach to clean the washer tub.

I'm on septic now so I haven't done this in years, don't know if Rit dye is still made. I think I bought it someplace like Target, or a crafts or fabric store.
Thanks for the tip on bleaching. Do you remember how much bleach you used to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Protip- RIT liquid dye works best in hot water.
Good to know - especially because lately I've been doing everything in cold water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've dyed a few things over the years. Most recently, producing consistently intense HOT pink tennis balls for my fetching fiend dog (bought regulation white wool covered balls from a tennis club and hand dyed them in a pot on the stove). Hot pink showed up best in roadside bushes and the regulation play balls survived abuse much, much longer than the crap balls from pet shops. Yes, I realize dogs don't see in full color, but I was often the one tasked with finding them after she got distracted and gave up.

Supermarket Rit sorta-worked for the occasional bedsheet costume or single color T shirt. Attempting to mix colors to create a custom shade may not be predictable. Not because the colors themselves won't do what seems logical, but because the chemicals used to produce those two different dye colors are not compatible. You bought a pink shirt. You don't know how the dye used to produce the pink will react to the black dye. Once many dyes are set, the fabric won't react the same way to a future dying attempt. Some dyes mix well, others don't.

The fabric of the garment you're using really influences how different dyes work too. Some dyes are really only suited for cotton (but if you want intense color you have to use really hot water. You run the risk your cotton will shrink), others are better suited for other fibers or blends.

If you really want to do it right, check out these folks. Lots of dyes, supplies, and maybe most important, reliable useful information and techniques. Including how to handle cleaning out your washing machine.

https://www.dharmatrading.com/

This is for cotton pants, and I'd be expecting them to shrink anyway. You're right that I can't know for sure the result, but it's reasonable to assume the result of black dye would be black, gray, or a dark rose. And there won't be future dyeing attempts. This is informal, not for an antique ball gown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Firstly, I'd caution against using your washer. Depending on the drum material (there might be plastic pieces on top of the metal drum), it could permenantly stain... I moved into an apt last year where the previous tenant did just that & they had to replace my washer.

If I wanted to dye something, I'd buy used pots at the Goodwill, or the cheapest "spaghetti pots" I could find at a discount store & cheap wooden spoons & use them for chemicals only going forward. Also, they hold less water than the kitchen sink or bathtub or washer, so the dyed water will be darker & render a result more true to color. You can also make the water hotter... machine water isn't boiling.
I just worry that with a pot, apart from the issues of splashing, the color won't be distributed as evenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I've dyed denim not too long ago. When denim skirts or pants got a little too light for me I would buy either black dye for black jeans or navy or denim blue dye for blue jeans. I've used RIT liquid in my top load washer and never had a problem with it. I would run the machine empty afterwards with a little bleach on the hottest setting to clean the machine and then wipe it down with a rag.

Also, follow the instructions for washing the garment afterwards to get out excess dye so it doesn't come off on your furniture.
Thanks, good tip about post-dye.

Last edited by Voebe; 04-21-2023 at 06:51 PM..

Old 04-21-2023, 07:35 PM

1,850 posts, read 827,310 times
^^Yes, regarding adding bleach to the washing machine tub to clean it, it wasn't much, maybe half a cup, then filled the laundry tub to its highest setting with hot water. I would let it sit for a little bit after mixing with the hot water. I'm not sure, but I think the directions for cleaning the washing machine after using the dye were included on the dye package. I also used liquid dye, it distributed in the water better & gave better results, IMO.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:04 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,727,994 times
Well, as a first step, I followed KayeKaye's suggestion and washed the pants.

Now I'm wondering if trying to dye pink pants brown would have a better result than trying black.

Next week I"ll look for dye.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:30 AM

10,919 posts, read 7,446,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post

Now I'm wondering if trying to dye pink pants brown would have a better result than trying black.

To make a color brown, dye it the color opposite it on the color wheel. For pink, that would be green. Brown dye will work, of course, but you'll get a pinky brown.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:06 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Quote:

Lots of dyes available in many, many colors available from Dharma Trading.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:28 PM

10,363 posts, read 6,918,322 times
Quote:
Have you ever tried dyeing something yourself?
No, but I discovered a way to remove dye from dyed diesel fuel. (And no, I won't disclose the technique. The IRS might not like this info, out.)

Old 12-01-2023, 02:07 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,170,133 times
RIT has liquid bottles (works faster than the powder dye.)

I use 5 gallon buckets to avoid making a mess when dye-ing items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty