Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 10:57 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,556,049 times

Advertisements

If using the washing machine, use liquid dye. RIT comes in both powder and liquid. There are two others that are possibly better, I think Procion and Jacquard. If you pre-wash, use 100% natural fabric, and I remember using salt with the powder dye in a big bowl (that didn't get colored), I found the color mixing charts pretty good. The salt set the dye for life, so whatever you buy, go to their site for tips.

Personally, I think black jeans with pink stitching might be really fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 12:43 AM

20,802 posts, read 8,628,969 times
I seldom dye more than one garment, which I do in a plastic dish pan in the bathtub.

I like to over-dye items to create new colors. I break the rules by not always using hot water if something might shrink. I've overdyed wool and cashmere sweaters using warm water. The trick is not to use a lot of friction which causes shrinkage of fibers.

Learn to mix colors. You can find color wheels online.

I seldom dye polyester, mainly because I seldom wear it. Did it once or twice in a large stainless steel pot on the stove.

It is always better to err on the side of caution when you're not sure how the color will turn out. Use less dye because you can always dye it again.

The Rit dye website is helpful and there are lots of youtube videos.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I remember using salt with the powder dye in a big bowl (that didn't get colored), I found the color mixing charts pretty good. The salt set the dye for life, so whatever you buy, go to their site for tips.

Personally, I think black jeans with pink stitching might be really fun.
Rit powder dye has salt already in the box. With the bottles of liquid, I throw in a tablespoon or two of salt. Make sure the salt is dissolved before you add your wet garment or you will get little dots of dye.

You bring up a good point about most clothes being sewn with polyester thread which doesn't take dye. It can limit your colors.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Protip- RIT liquid dye works best in hot water.
I use warm water if I want to avoid shrinkage in wool items.

I also seldom use a whole box or bottle of dye since I'm only dyeing one item. I also don't know how the color will turn out so start by adding only a little dye, dunk the item to see how well it takes color. If I want it darker, I take the item out, add more dye, swish it around to dissolve, then dunk the item back in. This technique is for dishpan or bucket dyeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty