Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 12:37 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,318,692 times

Advertisements

I totally agree that we wear fragrance for ourselves. One of my brothers used to say, "are we really supposed to think you smell like that?" My dad and brothers are such chauvinists, smh lol. My mom always said that you're with yourself all day (as in please yourself first) and it's other girls/women who notice the little touches like fragrance and nice accessories. Gives us lots to admire and talk about!

ETA- I also think that deodorants were better back in the day. I guess because there were only so many choices. Today's choices are nice with all the essential oils as a base. Not too overpowering. Remember Tickle? Those came in unique scents that weren't too strong. Plus the bottles were so cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 06:22 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm only familiar with a couple of SJP's fragrances. Lovely is one and Covet is another. I don't recall ever getting a stuffed up nose from them. It's interesting that both you and your husband experienced the same reaction.

Paris Hilton's first perfume smelled really gross to me. Like a dead mouse. There was definitely a chemical in there that did not agree with me. But that has happened to me with way more expensive perfumes.
Per the bolded --- This brought up an old memory. Once, as a kid, I told my mother about someone (can't remember who---maybe one of my teachers) who smelled like "Raid". She told me that this woman was most likely wearing Tabu as it had that affect on many who wore it That said, I had a friend in high school who wore Tabu and it smelled good on her.

I learned that if I smelled a perfume or cologne that was out for sampling in a store and it smelled nice to me, I knew that I should put some on my wrist and wait awhile. If there was a friend or family member around, I would ask them how it smelled on me.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:26 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Tabu, as I recall, was a very heavy perfume. I remember thinking it was for adults because it was my mom's and I didn't really care for the scent, it was so strong. I doubt my mom had the actual perfume, seems like it was more of a toilette. It did not have a spritzer on top. You sprinkled in onto your wrists or hand to distribute.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:29 PM

1,873 posts, read 886,485 times
This thread is so interesting, I've never thought about what my perfume smells like to someone else, that it might not smell the same. It makes me consider buying newer fragrances in case my old White Linen could possibly cause a reaction to someone else.

I used to like Liz Claiborne in the white triangle bottle that had primary colors on the edges. Also Curve for women. I have not shopped for a new fragrance in many years.

Most of the posts have been reminiscing about older favorite scents though. What do y'all recommend for a flowery delicate scent only for 'high falutin' events?

Old 09-12-2023, 07:20 PM

I mentioned earlier that Dolly Parton's first perfume that relaunched last year is a wonderful light flowery scent - very Dolly: Scent From Above. I'd be interested in what others have to say.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I mentioned earlier that Dolly Parton's first perfume that relaunched last year is a wonderful light flowery scent - very Dolly: Scent From Above. I'd be interested in what others have to say.
That is right up my alley. I'll see if I can get a sample!

Old 09-12-2023, 08:35 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,318,692 times
Scent From Above is a really cool name for a perfume. I'll have to test that one based on the name alone. I bet it'd be fun to be on the perfume-naming team. I also used to wear and was ocd about pronouncing Lutece.

Really, I'd like to have a job naming anything even paint and makeup colors. It's all about creating imagery and illusion. That'd be a nice job with lots of bloopers lol.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:50 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
I posted earlier that I had stopped wearing fragrances because so many people complain of problems with allergies and sensitivities. Reading all of these posts made me realize how much I miss wearing perfume so a few days ago I purchased Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf and I've been wearing it in the evening before going to bed. I'm loving it and my husband likes it too.

I had a bottle of Flowerbomb years ago but it wasn't one of my all time favorites. It's a heavy scent and it seems to suit me better now that I'm older.

Old 09-13-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
That is right up my alley. I'll see if I can get a sample!
On her website which takes you to a distributor, you can purchase a spritzer sampler for $10. BTW it's her first scent, renamed and relaunched last year.

Not sure if I am allowed to post this link: https://scentbeauty.com/products/dol...-de-parfum-3ml

Old 09-13-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
On her website which takes you to a distributor, you can purchase a spritzer sampler for $10. BTW it's her first scent, renamed and relaunched last year.
I ordered the body mist from Amazon last night, and I just got the shipped notice when I saw that what I ordered was actually Dolly's Tennessee Sunset (also in a pink bottle), from a new collection.

I can always return it if I don't open it, but I looked both scents up on Fragrantica (which by the way is a very cool website where they review fragrances), and I think this one fits me much better than Scent from Above. I'll report back after I receive it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty