Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 10,354 times

Advertisements

Pantyhose can have a similar effect on a women's appearance to many cosmetic procedures such as breast augmentation, the visual effect can be that alluring, in my view. Stockings and pantyhose really give a women an edge if they wear the right kind, so much so that women who don't have perfect bodies can often have an edge over more attractive ladies who are barelegged. Marketers will soon come to realise this, and once men begin to voice their views on this without embarrassment, hosery is bound to return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:58 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bullets View Post
Pantyhose can have a similar effect on a women's appearance to many cosmetic procedures such as breast augmentation, the visual effect can be that alluring, in my view. Stockings and pantyhose really give a women an edge if they wear the right kind, so much so that women who don't have perfect bodies can often have an edge over more attractive ladies who are barelegged. Marketers will soon come to realise this, and once men begin to voice their views on this without embarrassment, hosery is bound to return.
NOT pantyhose for the women who hate them! Maybe with a garter...May not mind that, but I NEVER enjoy wearing pantyhose that cause you to be HOT and a man would understand that if they understood pantyhose and UTI's are very very common because of the breathability and heat thing! YUK!! So, NIX the pantyhose forever!!!! Thigh high's...Mmm..aybe.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:45 PM

24 posts, read 67,818 times
If anyone has any doubts on the alluring affects of pantyhose and tights and how popular it is in Asia. Check out Yahoo's Flickr. In particular, pics from a professional photographer asianinfatuation: Flickr: Asian Infatuation's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/asianinfatuation/ - broken link) (the link is really for the guys) lol.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
The bare leg look is not going to work for every occasion. Imagine a formal occasion like a wedding and women going bare-legged. I think sheer black hose and the very high quality silk flesh toned hose adds something to an outfit. About the only women who can consistently get away with bare legs and tanner of the time are the coltish young 20 and 30 somethings. It just doesn't look right on older women, to me. Unless they have terrific legs. Some of us do, but most...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
The bare leg look is not going to work for every occasion. Imagine a formal occasion like a wedding and women going bare-legged. I think sheer black hose and the very high quality silk flesh toned hose adds something to an outfit. About the only women who can consistently get away with bare legs and tanner of the time are the coltish young 20 and 30 somethings. It just doesn't look right on older women, to me. Unless they have terrific legs. Some of us do, but most...
Plenty of women go without stockings to weddings and look great. Even the brides and bridesmaids.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:12 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
I believe you. This probably boils down to one of those generational differences. I just think for an older woman to really pull off the bare-legged look, she has to find a med-spa or a dermatologist to deal with any flaws like spider veins, she has to get her legs waxed instead of shaving them, and she has to consistenly use a good self-tanner product. That's a lot of work for a "no work" look. Whereas with pantyhose and stockings (I only buy the quality kind) all a woman has to do is be consistent about how often at home she depilitates her legs and she will look good in them. I'm old-school. I think nylons are sexy. And I've met quite a few men who agree.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 10,354 times
I agree totally I think they look incredibly sexy and often in way that is very tasteful and elegant. I even admire women in their 60s who look stunning in hosery. It is a statement of a women's femineity.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I believe you. This probably boils down to one of those generational differences. I just think for an older woman to really pull off the bare-legged look, she has to find a med-spa or a dermatologist to deal with any flaws like spider veins, she has to get her legs waxed instead of shaving them, and she has to consistenly use a good self-tanner product. That's a lot of work for a "no work" look. Whereas with pantyhose and stockings (I only buy the quality kind) all a woman has to do is be consistent about how often at home she depilitates her legs and she will look good in them. I'm old-school. I think nylons are sexy. And I've met quite a few men who agree.
I'm 54 and now trying to do the bare-legged look cause it does seem at least in my area that hosiery is decidedly "out." You really seldom see hose worn here now except for maybe on elderly women. My legs are in pretty good shape but yes, I have to do the self-tanner thing cause they are blindingly white without it! And yes, that does get old! So...not saying I like the trend, but for now, I'm grudgingly going along with it... (Recently, I did wear black hose to a dressy function, however.)

My question, however, is what are we supposed to when we want to wear a skirt or dress and it's cold outside. I don't wanna do "tights." And yes, it does get that cold even here in Dallas!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Trends are hideously overrated; be a rebel! Buck the so-called trend and wear nylons at least when it makes sense (eg if cold, as a way to make your legs look better etc). PS and just FYI: tanning booths are carcinogenic, just like too much sun is. So you have that or an option which is much cheaper, quicker and easier. Also don't some of them at least provide some leg "support" - ?

Guess I'm just not getting it

Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Trends are hideously overrated; be a rebel! Buck the so-called trend and wear nylons at least when it makes sense (eg if cold, as a way to make your legs look better etc). PS and just FYI: tanning booths are carcinogenic, just like too much sun is. So you have that or an option which is much cheaper, quicker and easier. Also don't some of them at least provide some leg "support" - ?

Guess I'm just not getting it
Ok, let me explain. As I said above, I'm 54. If I buck the trend I will likely appear that I'm just old and don't have the fashion sense to know any better (i.e.that hose are "out") Self-tanning creams are an option if you don't wanna do the sun or tanning booths. Also the "support" of hose often feels uncomfortable and tight. Furthermore, hose are a pain to put on to begin with. I suspect these negatives are some of the reasons women eschew hosiery and avoid being a rebel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty