Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times

Advertisements

I don't think stockings are "out" necessarily. It's a matter of personal preference and some companies consider them a part of the business uniform (like a businessman's tie - pointless but part of the uniform). Stockings can help circulation when you are on your feet all day (or on an airplane). I know of women are lilly white who like the color that stockings provide and/or it provides coverage for vericose (sp.?) veins. I hope women aren't going to forgo something that can be useful (for the sake of fashion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,945,518 times
I'm in my early/mid 20's and I think "fashion" is going to pot! When did it become the norm for everyone to be so lazy? When first impressions are so important I can't understand how the corporate world is letting people get away with not "looking their best". What happened to being polished?

I'm a thigh-high girl myself, and though I don't wear them all the time I do wear them when appropriate. <~Anytime I want to show respect/be respected/show professionalism and am wearing a skirt/dress at or shorter than my knees. Examples: Business meetings, meeting with clients, to weddings or other "dressier" places (depending on the formality of the event). I usually don't for everyday dresses/skirts though...my bare legs are just fine for regular times. Hose take an outfit from good to great...just like makeup does a face. I wear different makeup for a day at the park than I do for a business conference or a night out with my husband. I may be a busy stay-at-home mom but I certainly haven't forgotten the importance of looking good. Something I think a lot of people need to check. Laziness...that's what it all comes down to.

This goes for men as well. There is nothing sexier than a man who is well polished! Casual or not. I'm not talking he has to wax his eyebrows and conceal his blemishes polished...lol...but there is a confidence that comes along with being well grommed, even wearing a nice pair of khakis and a pressed shirt and well-thought for shoes. A guy wearing a suit with a great tie is looking great in my book! Men...you should feel happier about your ties!

Another thought: Why wear pantyhose or a tie for that matter to an interview and not to work from there on out? It's like trying to romance your boyfriend/girlfriend and then once you're married it all goes south from there. When flip-flops and crocs are allowed and taking the place of a gorgeous pair of heels at work, you know the world is coming to an end! lol Ugh...and all this coming from a GenYer mind you.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,088 times
I detest pantyhose. I only wear them to funerals and I would to a job interview. I'd probably wear them to court if I were an attorney. Yep, I think that covers it as far as I'm concerned. And, zonababe, I agree with you concerning slips.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
I hate them. The reason they are very uncomfortable for me (I can't speak for the others of course) is that I am the hot-blooded type. I am the one who always wishes we could turn the AC up while somebody else in the room might be complaining about being cold. Pantyhose makes me sweaty and gets my skin all irritated. AND it gives me stinky feet!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Definitely out. I havent owned a pair of pantyhose in many years. And I work in a Bank. Even our "front line" folks (ie the Bank tellers) are not required to wear hose if the skirt is 1 inch above the knee or longer. They do require them to wear pantyhose if their skirt is shorter. But given that the skirt can only go about an inch shorter before you run afoul of the "no really short skirs" rule, they effectively don't require them at all.

Yep, I also work in a bank and you will not see anyone here wearing hose. Women often still wear high heels but NO hose with them. The only time I still wear hose is in the winter, I will wear black pantyhose (with something that matches black, of course and occasionally taupe colored hose.) Too me, even Texas is too cold in the winter to go bare-legged. But yeah, from what I understand pantyhose or any kind of hose except the fishnet or patterned type are pretty much "out of fashion" right now. (I am pale so I use a self-tanner on my legs in the summer. It IS easier in the summer I must admit, than wearing hot pantyhose.)

Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
I haven't worn pantyhose in years, I don't plan on it every again. I don't give a rats patoutie what someone thinks because I don't put on pantyhose, if they are that worried about something so stupid and uncomfortable then they arent the sort of person I seek to impress to begin with.

As far as jobs go, no way would I ever agree to take on a job that required me to wear pantyhose. I think its unreasonable and sexist. The last job I had outside the house, I was able to wear scrubs to work with sandals, on Fridays we could wear jeans.

My tanned and toned legs will just have to be good enough for them ALL.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile Some women's legs aren't so pretty looking

I wear Spanx and love them. What I have noticed, though, even on young girls is some of their legs would sure look better with pantyhose on.

I recently went on a trip with a bunch of women. They were mostly all older than me. What I noticed is that I was the only way wearing (in this case) Spanx. I stopped after that but my legs look better with them on!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,700 times
SAVE THE PANTY HOSE!

How many bumper stickers should I order? LOL!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I wear Spanx and love them. What I have noticed, though, even on young girls is some of their legs would sure look better with pantyhose on.

I recently went on a trip with a bunch of women. They were mostly all older than me. What I noticed is that I was the only way wearing (in this case) Spanx. I stopped after that but my legs look better with them on!
My legs look fabulous, with a little real tan, a little self tanner, well shaved and my toenails painted to match my fingernails, I get alot of lingering looks. Panty hose are like prisons for your legs.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:37 PM

213 posts, read 520,111 times
Hate hose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty