Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 09:21 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy888 View Post
Good for your grandma
Once you have a smartphone you won't go back, trust me. My iphone died and we have several (still working) dumb phones. I am using one of them right now and it's really driving me bonkers. I can't wait until next week that I can order a new iphone.

Any way, for the record. My wife had me wear some sheer Leggs brand pantyhose one day when she came into the office. It was just her and me. I was wearing shorts on top of the pantyhose. To be honest, I wasn't bothered at all in wearing them. They were quite comfortable. I like how my feet just slid into my runners. In fact, if it wasn't a social no-no, I wouldn't mind wearing them that way most of the year. But of course, it would look rather creepy if I did.
See my post on smartphone phobia vs. flip phones.

I liked the Brazilian-style pantyhose when they came out (ages ago, now); they were made to be worn with sandals, so they left your toes bare (except where they hooked into where a sandal thong would go, between your big toe and the next toe), but gave your legs a tanned look. This worked great with shorter skirts. I never thought about wearing them with shorts, because shorts are by definition very casual, but I suppose it's an option, especially if you want that tanned look. Also, with the open toe area, there was less chance of a snag happening.

Pantyhose used to have a reinforced toe area, but I haven't seen that for a very long time. Seems they started making them cheaper, so they could sell more, instead of making them to last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 09:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Pantyhose can look attractive on the right woman. It can be a good accessory on a colder day. I'd rather see a woman in a skirt and pantyhose than wearing pants or pantsuits.
Have you worn pantyhose? They serve zero practical purpose. They don’t keep your legs warm at all. If it is cold, you can wear thick tights or sweater tights, but pantyhose? Please- you might as well wear nothing. I wear tights or leggings when it is cold. I haven’t worn pantyhose for over a decade.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Pantyhose can look attractive on the right woman. It can be a good accessory on a colder day. I'd rather see a woman in a skirt and pantyhose than wearing pants or pantsuits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Have you worn pantyhose? They serve zero practical purpose. They don’t keep your legs warm at all. If it is cold, you can wear thick tights or sweater tights, but pantyhose? Please- you might as well wear nothing. I wear tights or leggings when it is cold. I haven’t worn pantyhose for over a decade.
I'm a man. I'm a masculine man. I've never worn pantyhose.

I used the word colder. In Dallas, Texas, where I live, a colder day might be 45-65 degrees. Pantyhose is probably fine at those temperatures. Also, from a man's point of view, there isn't much difference between pantyhose and tights. I could tell you the textural difference, but we as men see leg coverings pretty similarly.

My whole point is that some women can really look good in pantyhose, but it probably isn't because of the pantyhose.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
I'm a man. I'm a masculine man. I've never worn pantyhose.
Then understand, as a woman how I dress on a cold winter's day (or any day actually), is more about my own comfort and needs than about what you prefer seeing me wear.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:21 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
I can't remember the last time I wore pantyhose--probably around 1995.
Horrible, fragile, useless things.

Socks, bare legs, or leggings are fine with me.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Then understand, as a woman how I dress on a cold winter's day (or any day actually), is more about my own comfort and needs than about what you prefer seeing me wear.
If I'm wearing a dress or skirt on a colder day, I'm all about tights and boots. I dress in whatever way allows me to feel comfortable and "presentable," without regard for what someone else might "prefer." Even the "45-60" degree range mentioned would be too cold on the lower level for pantyhose which, on the warmth scale, are akin to bare legs. 60 degrees, maybe, but 45? No way! I think the last time I wore pantyhose was in the '80s.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:24 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,873,466 times
I've probably had a pair of pantyhose on 4-5 times in the last 25 years. If I wanted a boa constrictor wrapped around my lower body, I'd get a boa constrictor!

Years ago, I worked for a large hospital system that required "leg coverings" as part of the dress code. Well, no..... My legs were tanned year-round, I lived in Florida and there's no way in hell I'm wearing panty hose. Luckily, nobody ever called me on it.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Given as though you are likely older than my target demographic has been over my time, you are a mom, and you do not live in the same city as I live in, that has zero impact on me.

Now, for women who are in my target demographics when I'm not in a relationship and looking for new dates, I appreciate women who dress in a stylish manner and present themselves well. I'm all about presenting myself well either for attracting new women when I am single or for keeping my current girlfriend attracted to me. I expect the same.

There are women who can look really good wearing pantyhose, and I've seen it in certain settings. It is far more common to see pantyhose or some form of leggings in an office setting than it is to see it at the mall or the grocery store.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I've probably had a pair of pantyhose on 4-5 times in the last 25 years. If I wanted a boa constrictor wrapped around my lower body, I'd get a boa constrictor!

Years ago, I worked for a large hospital system that required "leg coverings" as part of the dress code. Well, no..... My legs were tanned year-round, I lived in Florida and there's no way in hell I'm wearing panty hose. Luckily, nobody ever called me on it.
And that’s one of the biggest issues with pantyhose. Color. There is always this basic color called nude, that doesn’t look nude on anyone. My nude, is not your nude, is not her nude, is not somebody else’s. Hose should come in shades of nude.

And I think you can get it in shades, in the high end sort of “here’s the brand of hose the royals still wear” kind of brand at 40+ a pair.

Frankly, at 60, I’m old enough to say No to dresses where I feel it’s appropriate to wear hose. I’m one of those who feels dresses without hose are wrong. Note : FEELS. It’s how I feel. I don’t feel dressed in a dress without hose. But I can find or even make my own more formal dress pants, tailored to my own goofy body.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
For years people would tell pale women to cover up their legs with suntanned colored pantyhose. That's why i decided to stop wearing them and show off my pale legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty