Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
First of all, who can afford to buy whats 'in fashion' anymore when we cant even afford the gas to get from point A to point B? Im a simple country girl so dont care about whats flashy these days, good ol' jeans never go away.

I agree, jeans are the best, and with gas prices rising who the hell can afford to be dressed in the latest, best clothes. Some people are so superficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 AM

27,339 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Not that I wear jeans 24-7, but with the right shirt/blouse, they can be casual or dressy.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Just a little warning to stay on topic, please.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:45 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I agree. But most mothers I see don't have to work yet still don't raise their kids at home. They send them to day care every weekday so they can continue to do those things that make them look good. It's all about ego, but of course, they'll say it's for health benefits.

It is very important to take care of yourself. There is no denying this and looking good is definitely part of it. Nobody wants to look bad, it just seems that way for some people. It's just laughable though that there are still people who look at those stupid "fashion" mags in the grocery line and think that those models and/or celebrities look that way all the time.
(I don't feel a bit guilty going to the gym or exercising...not a bit. It's probably a good thing they're sending them to daycare/preschool if they're so self-absorbed as to work out all day long! That's sort of boring, too, I would think??)

As for how Americans dress, I hope that foreigners don't expect Americans to dress like Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton- that's all for show. One of those goofy magazines has a feature where they take pictures of 'celebrities' when they're not all dolled up and tricked out by their stylists...and they look a lot like me and my friends!!! I mean, I don't wear heels, short shorts and tons of jewelry to go to the supermarket! Can you imagine? That's all for show.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
(I don't feel a bit guilty going to the gym or exercising...not a bit. It's probably a good thing they're sending them to daycare/preschool if they're so self-absorbed as to work out all day long! That's sort of boring, too, I would think??)

As for how Americans dress, I hope that foreigners don't expect Americans to dress like Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton- that's all for show. One of those goofy magazines has a feature where they take pictures of 'celebrities' when they're not all dolled up and tricked out by their stylists...and they look a lot like me and my friends!!! I mean, I don't wear heels, short shorts and tons of jewelry to go to the supermarket! Can you imagine? That's all for show.

Nor should you feel guilty. It benefits you and your kids since with proper exercise, you'll be around longer. My point is that there are a lot of "moms" who let other people raise their kids so they can do things for themselves like go to the gym (which isn't a bad thing) and shop. This isn't a problem if it's an occasional occurence or maybe 2-3 hours a day, but I can't believe how many non-working mothers drop their kids off at daycare for the whole day every day. But who cares, right? The clothes they buy are fashionable (at least this year it is) and that's important.

Hey, I don't mind women wearing heels to the supermarket.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,632 times
I dress for me nobody else - heels to the supermarket is that so wrong ?
Wouldn't be seen dead in a tracksuit unless it was in the gym - but then maybe us Europeans are different to Americans and the rest of the world too.. It would be a funny world if we were all the same.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Why are Americans unfashionable compared to most European countries and Asian countries? Even in Turkey, most people follow the trends.

When I lived in the UK, everyone, including people up into their 50's followed a common type of trend. Most people looked pleasant and in style.

I know there are 5 billion more important issues than this, but what is your opinion?...
This is America...we don't follow trends we SET them. The UK (and everyone else) just haven't caught up yet.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,632 times
No I think you have that the wrong way around

Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
I dress for me nobody else - heels to the supermarket is that so wrong ?
Wouldn't be seen dead in a tracksuit unless it was in the gym - but then maybe us Europeans are different to Americans and the rest of the world too.. It would be a funny world if we were all the same.
Depends on what your produce guy looks like??

Seriously, this is Austin. If you wear heels to the grocery store, you are the odd girl out!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 PM

51 posts, read 176,648 times
how do you define"fashionable"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty