Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Huh. Just had a student (16 year old girl) tell me today she wears a 3.5 size shoe. Now it makes sense!!

I wear a 6, 6.5, or 7 depending on the shoe. I love having a 6 as a display because it makes it easy for me to try on.....and no, I don't "cram" my foot into it. If it is too tight to get on easily, I size up.
Yep, kid's sizes are actually the same as men's sizes. So, a kid's size 5 would be a men's size 5 which is equivalent to a women's 6 1/2 or so. Unfortunately, many people fall in the "no man's land" of shoe sizes, especially men/boys if they are bigger than a kid's 5 (often the largest size carried) and smaller than a men's size 8 (smalles size carried). Try convincing a 12 year old boy he has to buy a women's size hiking boot, used to happen all the time at my old job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
There are equivalent sizes for everything. When my older daughter first started playing soccer in the late 80s, the cleats did not come in women's sizes, so we got her boys. They were wide on her, but she liked wearing double pairs of socks anyway, so that made up the room. Actually, she kept wearing the boy's sizes even after the women's line came out because of her preference in socks.

My younger daughter went with the women's cleats, however, when she started playing ice hockey, it was boy's sizes all the way. No choice. She even wore boys skates when she played college hockey.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
One of my best friends is a size 6 and a close friend of ours works for Cole Haan. Because size 6 is the sample size, he always gives her samples. She has almost 20 pairs of beautiful Cole Haan shoes, that were all free. I feel NO sympathy for her...

Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
Maybe I should move to South Florida! Here in Cal,I am having problems buying size 5.5.

The first thing I go into a store,I would ask if there is my size,if not I would just turn around and leave.
You should go to Nordstrom's.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
For a girl, a size 6 is okay. I think average is a 7 1/2 isnt it? But for a guy....well....he's in trouble if he's looking for size 6!
I always notice size 7's on display and what few are out in my size 8's are not very impressible, nothing Id wear. For me its usually better in finding what I like at a decent price, online.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM

129 posts, read 493,873 times
My aunt wears size 4 in women's. I remember one time I went shoe shopping with her, and we both tried on the same shoes (different sizes) and next to her feet, I felt like a man's foot. Even though my feet aren't that big either (size 8).

Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Size 6 shoes look cute too. I cant tell you how many times I loved a 6 only to be repulsed by a 9.

I think thats why they go on display. Size and cute factor.

My shoe gripe is a quad A heel. NARROW..blah.
Most women need a narrower heel and that's why many of the better shoes come in a "combination last" (ie 4A heel and 2A toe). Try asking the average shoe clerk nowadays for a shoe with a combination last...."what's that"? is the usual response. Asked at one store, too, for a shoe horn--he had no idea what I was talking about! Okay, back to the main thread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty