Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM

566 posts, read 1,109,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Geez. What happened to the old days when if we wanted a tan we would just slather on baby oil with iodine lol?
BTDT and had a malignant melanoma Level 2 removed from upper arm, a few (alot) years ago. Wish I knew then, what I know now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,689,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
BTDT and had a malignant melanoma Level 2 removed from upper arm, a few (alot) years ago. Wish I knew then, what I know now.

I hear you. Half of my friends that used to lay out with me using the baby oil and iodine have had skin cancer problems and most of us are under 40. People who have not seen me in a while are always shocked by how pale I am compared to the old days when I was super dark. Call me Casper if you want but I am not taking any chances anymore.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,666,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I hear you. Half of my friends that used to lay out with me using the baby oil and iodine have had skin cancer problems and most of us are under 40. People who have not seen me in a while are always shocked by how pale I am compared to the old days when I was super dark. Call me Casper if you want but I am not taking any chances anymore.
My mom warned me about that constantly. She has had big chunks of skin taken out all over her body due to 'possible' cancer from suntanning when she was young. I get keloids really really bad so I want nothing to do with scarring if possible. I'm pale as can be and perfectly okay with it

Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Oh, for God's sake, some of you...tanning in a bed/booth is NOT "protection against sun damage." IT IS SUN DAMAGE. Wake up. Not rocket science.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times
Former tanner and I think the law is great idea. I don't have many regrets in life, but tanning at the beach and indoors is probably my biggest.

I now see a derm regularly for skin checks and he told me I was fortunate in that the damage isn't significant (he told me I could thank my genetics/heritage for that), but I increased my risk of skin cancer greatly. I never used goggles either. Believe me...I think about what's in store for me all the time!!!

All I know is I'm doing everything I can to protect my children: SPF w/Helioplex, UV clothing, you name it! I'm trying to keep their exposure down and knowing what I know now, I would never allow my children to use a tanning bed.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,441,990 times
It should be a national level intervention, since teenagers are now being diagnosed with malignant melanoma. That's scary! And, that's not from outdoor sun exposure, since tanning concentrates exposure and it's addictive.

There are spray-on tans now, if people need the dark look, but a UV-light tanning bed is just insane, knowing what we now about the process.

For those who think that the base tan is a good thing, read the following article. The Skin Cancer Foundation - International Study Links Tanning Beds to Melanoma

At this rate, just let the kids smoke too, but that can cause death years later than can be caused by a tanning bed. That's just how dangerous concentrated UV exposure can be.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,296,043 times
It really does suck that its bad for you. I have gone to clear my skin up when I was a teen. Not to tan. Just five minute sessions twice for the whole year. I really can see how that blue light, the electrical hum, warmth..its so relaxing...

I am so sick of everything fun being bad....I like natural and health nut stuff too....But ugh.
Sometimes I wish death just happened by spontaneous combustions when we were just ready to go and we never got sick at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty