Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times

Advertisements

This could end up a long thread To each their own but seems to me fashion for many now is either ignored or the point seems to be to look as hideous/ridiculous as you can. eg:

baseball cap on backwards
mullets
"goth" (does anyone past the age of 12 do this anymore)
piercing anything other than ears
"ghetto" (pants so oversized/baggy they almost fall off, unlaced shoes, tons of tatoos etc)
"kool aid" hair color (that ridiculous circus clown cherry red, what the....)
hair that's at least 3/4 diff colors - pls, pick one
really dark nail polish esp in unnatural colors eg green
dredlocks
too much makeup (amazing how many women do this)

And last but far from least: wearing socks with sandals. Long pants with sandals is dorky enough, but the socks (esp black socks) just scream moron to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
baseball cap on backwards I agree with this one- I hate this look
mullets Anyone who still wears a mullet has some explaining to do
"goth" (does anyone past the age of 12 do this anymore) Excessive black makeup usually looks bad, but some women look beautiful with the goth look
piercing anything other than ears I disagree with this one- I think pierced navels look great (on women, that is; men should never get one). But pierced eyebrows look awful.
"ghetto" (pants so oversized/baggy they almost fall off, unlaced shoes, tons of tatoos etc) Agree with this one
"kool aid" hair color (that ridiculous circus clown cherry red, what the....) Agree with this one too
hair that's at least 3/4 diff colors - pls, pick one Agreed
really dark nail polish esp in unnatural colors eg green I disagree with this one- I've seen some creative people do cool things with nail polish.
dredlocks Not into dreadlocks
too much makeup (amazing how many women do this) I agree. LOL

And last but far from least: wearing socks with sandals. Long pants with sandals is dorky enough, but the socks (esp black socks) just scream moron to me.I hate this look too.

One other look I can't stand: small/thin people who wear XXL shirts, and very large people who wear size S or M shirts.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
The great thing about living in the US is that you don't have to care what other people think of you.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 AM

809 posts, read 2,884,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
This could end up a long thread To each their own but seems to me fashion for many now is either ignored or the point seems to be to look as hideous/ridiculous as you can. eg:

mullets
piercing anything other than ears- I have my navel pierced and depending on the persons face structure certain facial piercings look good to me........
"ghetto" (pants so oversized/baggy they almost fall off, unlaced shoes, tons of tatoos etc)
"kool aid" hair color (that ridiculous circus clown cherry red, what the....) I use to have cherry red on the underneath/back part of my hair..... it was very cool when it peeked out and I got a lot of compliments
hair that's at least 3/4 diff colors - pls, pick one- At the same time I had the part red the rest of my hair was black........ but I've also done highlights/lowlights so that there is a multitude of NATURAL looking colors which is suppose to simulate natural highlights/lowlights in your hair. When done right it looks gorgeous and I love it.
really dark nail polish esp in unnatural colors eg green- I like dark eggplant colored nailpolish
dredlocks
too much makeup (amazing how many women do this)

And last but far from least: wearing socks with sandals. Long pants with sandals is dorky enough, but the socks (esp black socks) just scream moron to me.

Honestly....... a lot of things you mentioned are things I like...... sure mullets are pretty dated, but to each person their own....... that's why we live in America....... so that we can all be free.........

Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Okay. As somebody who's hair is multi-colored, I have to pipe in. I normalized it a bit with a brown hue, but it was just in November when I had Hot Rod Red hair with cotton candy pink, white-blonde, and black streaks in it. In fact, next weekend or so, my hubby's hair will be fixed up. Black with green and pink tips. I'm still deciding on my next set of colors. I can't go too outrageous because of work... but it's most likely going to be black with red streaks and some tips.

I also like to do vibrant makeup. Wearing cerulean and pink-pink eyeshadow with super-black eyeliner under the eye. Add some super-black mascara, and it's awesome. On certain days, I'll do a lip stain as well.

As for goth, corsets are a girl's best friend. I'm not one of those "I'm so goth, I poop bats" posh-goths, but I prefer darker colors in my clothing. In fact, I'm only wearing black until they find something darker. I like clothes that fit my personality. Zippers, buttons, detachable sleeves, etc are some of my favorite things. I also like patches of fishnet on my shirts at times.

I also like having my nails different colors of awesome. Right now, I have this lovely deep purple sitting next to me, just waiting for me to go to lunch. Virtuous Violet by Nicole. Beautiful.

Piercings? My husband is going to be getting his eyebrow done *again* for his birthday. He got rid of it for a job, but he looked so great with it. I don't have any because of my job, but if I could, I would.

To me, the worst of the current fashion statements is wearing such skimpy clothes that you look like you're going to fall out, or show off your goods simply by moving. Wearing clothes that a hooker would wear... that's the worst. You can look sexy and gorgeous without having to wear "hooker boots", a micro skirt, and a V-style tube-top mid-drift strip of fabric. If you have to tape yourself into your attire to keep from falling out, it's too skimpy.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

mullets Agree
piercing anything other than ears
"ghetto" (pants so oversized/baggy they almost fall off, unlaced shoes, tons of tatoos etc) Agree with the ghetto-but some men look hot with tattoos!
"kool aid" hair color (that ridiculous circus clown cherry red, what the....)
hair that's at least 3/4 diff colors - pls, pick one
really dark nail polish esp in unnatural colors eg green
dredlocks I think, if properly cared for, some dreads look awesome.
too much makeup (amazing how many women do this) Agree

I'll add Skinny jeans-I just don't think they look good on anyone, especially men.

Big sunglasses-You know, those oversize frames that women used to wear to hide the bruises around their eyes? Girls, you look like an insect in those!

Make-up on men-Yes, I see this on campus more than I'd like to admit.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I'll add Skinny jeans-I just don't think they look good on anyone, especially men.

Big sunglasses-You know, those oversize frames that women used to wear to hide the bruises around their eyes? Girls, you look like an insect in those!

Make-up on men-Yes, I see this on campus more than I'd like to admit.

agreed! I usually dress in a very 50's houswifey style, and with the natural ebb and flow of fashion, sometimes I'm trendy and sometimes I'm not . I just stay the same and let the fashion come to me. I like piercings, I love tattoos, I love weird colored hair (Mine was fire engine red and black for quite some time). I don't like mullets, skinny jeans, the 'bohemian shiek' look, or the 'I just got out of the shower and look like crap but apparently it's trendy' look.

I also think wearing sweatpants anywhere other than the gym and at home is tacky. In addition to that, I also think letters across your butt on said sweatpants is ridiculously tacky, especially on little girls. Who wants their 5 year old walking around with JUICY plastered on her butt? I don't wear anything with a brand on it, I'm not getting paid to advertise your company. I also really wish those tshirts with stupid sayings go out of style soon.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:14 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
^ I hope the T-Shirts dont.

I want one that says "Feed me" on the front, and "Now" on the back.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Oh man, do I love my shirts with sayings. I'm even eyeing a shirt that has a working drum set image (you hit the drum and it actually plays a sound) I saw on ThinkGeek.

Here are some of my favorites:
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't."

"You can never have too many kitties"

"Class of 2005: Most likely to manage a gas station"

Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
T-Shirt Hell makes some awesome shirts with witty sayings. Some are likely to offend people, but others are hilarious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty