Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:34 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
you can fnd thick towels at most high end department stores.
In fact, Macy's has a line of towels called "Hotel Collection" - although it doesn't necessarily mean it's the thickest, softest towel line. There's plenty of other luxury towel lines at Macy's or any other department store. Of course, they are more expensive but I think it's worth it - my towels are typically thicker and softer than hotel ones. Some hotel towels are stiff and rough in my opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
I completely disagree! Ours at home are much nicer than the ones in hotels. I'd say upgrade when you go shopping!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:16 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
Ha! Ha! I agree! I love hotels and it just seems like everything "feels" better! I think a lot of it is the fact that you're on vacation, so you're already in a state of mind of relaxation and new experiences, you can go to the website www.[URL="http://www.hotelstoyou.com"]hotelstoyou.com[/url], and actually order hotel linens, robes, bathroom fixtures, etc! I love the curved shower rods in hotel bathrooms! I went on a cruise recently and you could order the beds that were in the cabins!
(hotelstoyou.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
Since Marriott is giving away one of those sweet bathrobes in this contest (link below), it got me thinking...

Why is it that hotel stuff like towels, pillows, bathrobes, etc. is always at least 20 times softer and fluffier than any towel I've seen at a regular retail store?? Is it just me, or do other people feel this way too?

The contest: (fyi - ends 5/19) Marriott Rewards Insider Network-For the Savvy Traveler (giveaway) | Life Starring Ellie and Eve

Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
Several years ago I stayed in a Kimpton hotel in Portland, OR that had the most fabulous bed I have ever slept in. I especially liked the fact that the edges stayed firm when I sat on them. The hotel chain has a site that offers many of their products, including the beds, for sale. Kimpton Style | Bed

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
I actually believe the opposite is true. I can't stand hotel pillows. They don't have any 'give' at all and 'sink' the moment you put your head on them and then you get up with a neck pain in the morning. The towels and robes are pathetic compare to mine at home. And I've traveled quite a lot and stayed at club level on expensive hotels here and overseas. I can endure the robes and towels, but for anything more than 1 night stay, I always bring my own pillow.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I agree, I looked for nicer robes at a store and didnt find anything other than Hef style stuff.

LOL! That's the exact thought I had when trying to pick out a housecoat for my guy a few years ago.

Thank heavens he doesn't look like Hef!

er .. robe

Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Several years ago I stayed in a Kimpton hotel in Portland, OR that had the most fabulous bed I have ever slept in. I especially liked the fact that the edges stayed firm when I sat on them. The hotel chain has a site that offers many of their products, including the beds, for sale. Kimpton Style | Bed
Kimptons are definitely some of my favorite hotels!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I stayed at Los Angeles Airport Hilton 3 weeks ago for Emerald Ball and my bed was SO comfy!!! I loved the sheets, the pillows and the mattress. Ordinarily I take my own pillow along, which I did for this jaunt as well, but found that I really liked their pillows. The towels were okay - nothing special.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
I don't know about the rest of you - my linens at home are of better quality than what you find at most hotels. It's all about the thread count - towels with egyptian cotton! - you can't by this at Walmart or JC Penney's, folks. As someone mentioned earlier - Macy's at least has some better quality things, but I would never buy their towels - too rough.

I'd rather buy one set of 600 thread count sheets for a few hundred dollars and use them for up to ten years (they do last that long) than buy several sets of 250 percale Martha Stewart sheets at Wally World for the same amount of money, sleep uncomfortably on cheap linen for a year and then throw it out. We only live once, folks. Don't even get me started on those made-in-China Bed-in-a-bag monstrosities - ugh!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I don't know about the rest of you - my linens at home are of better quality than what you find at most hotels. It's all about the thread count - towels with egyptian cotton! - you can't by this at Walmart or JC Penney's, folks. As someone mentioned earlier - Macy's at least has some better quality things, but I would never buy their towels - too rough.

I'd rather buy one set of 600 thread count sheets for a few hundred dollars and use them for up to ten years (they do last that long) than buy several sets of 250 percale Martha Stewart sheets at Wally World for the same amount of money, sleep uncomfortably on cheap linen for a year and then throw it out. We only live once, folks. Don't even get me started on those made-in-China Bed-in-a-bag monstrosities - ugh!
Some sheets with high thread counts are still not very soft though. We have some very expensive sheets with a 1200 thread count that I bought at Between The Sheets, and they aren't as soft as the bamboo sheets I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond for less than a quarter of the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty