Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 11:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,728,762 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm young but not that young, 36. I want to go to a club with my friend, who's almost 10 yrs. younger. But WTF do I wear? I'll have to go to work that day, so I have to have something that can morph into night. A big bag will work so I can cram a shirt or blouse into it.

I'm thinking jeans and heels and a nice top. Is that lame to wear to a techno night club? I'm not 21 anymore and I should also say, I'm not exactly tiny anymore either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,174,670 times
Can't go wrong with a little black dress and some sexy stiletto's.....that's what i'd wear.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM

that's a good idea, but I don't really wear dresses or stiletto's. So comfort is a big thing for me. Donning an outfit like that would be most uncomfortable for me.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,174,670 times
Okay, well in that case I think you'd be perfectly fine in some hip jeans, heels and a trendy top....don't over-analize it too much and remember....confidence is main key here...wear the clothse, don't let them wear you

Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,380,609 times
I agree with Lola. You don't say if you are married, engaged, looking, or just being a good friend, but if you are hoping to meet someone (even though I think you should dress so that you feel great), then wear the lbd and stilettos. It is classy, noticeable, and will look fabulous.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,429,055 times
Clothes.

Whoa you are still young! There are lots of 30-somethings clubbing because we can afford to. :0) Are your legs nice? I would go pretty SHORT with the dress. There are lots of cute ultra-short dresses on the market now. Get a loose cut in the dress so that it doesn't cling at ALL and some detail like folds or a little shine. * Make sure to shave or wax your entire leg. Contrary to popular belief, I think short dresses look better on short girls, like moi . They look super SWEET and adorable. If you're tall they will look great, too but the look may be more on the side of s@xy than cute.

Bag.

Make sure you wear a SMALL Clutch that has a wrist strap so you can dance and not have your bag bother you. For all night in a club, you need makeup for touchups + card/money for tips/drinks + your cell phone. You don’t want to leave this stuff in bag check.

Shoes.

If you can make it on high heels/wedges, I say go for it! I also love flat gladiator sandals. The bad part about strappy shoes that people will step on your feet no matter what, and your feet may get dirty. Personally after 2-3 hours you probably won’t care. However, if you want to try a more relaxed look, you can try modern pumas for cute athletic shoes that you might even be able to wear with a dress. I'm a dress woman myself. BUT I can see how a short dress (or adorable SHORT and loose-fitting "Romper") that is styled "athletically" would work with that. Just accessorize more.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM

Hey all! Thanks for the great advice. I'm looking at Lane Bryant now and they have some really cute dresses, although I'm not quite Lane Bryant size. I float between a 12 and 14, so sometimes I can wear their styles. I like their store because they are obviously trying to put fashion into what used to be gawd awful moo moos.

So... I'm married, my husband has a belly like I do, but he looks great in a nice shirt and jeans. I guess it's why I stray from dresses what with the belly. I'm not all that confident in them either since I never wear them.

I gotcha on the bag. Since my DH is mtg. me there I was thinking I could throw my work bag (filled with the change of clothes) in his car.

I was thinking of trying to find a nice shiny shirt to wear with some good jeans and heels. The shiny shirt and heels will be in the bag since I don't think my office would appreciate me showing up in that gear!

Since I'm not hoping to meet someone, I don't have to overly try to look hot, but I love looking cute for my husband, so I'll do my best. I do think confidence is key, which is why I might not opt for the dress.

Also, I'm ok with wedges and heels, just won't wear them all day at work.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:44 PM

809 posts, read 3,573,391 times
I was going to suggest dark jeans or black pants. Sexy heals and a flattering, cute, shirt.
Some jewelry that goes with the outfit and a small purse (if you need a purse).
You might ask your friend what she's wearing if that makes you more comfortable. Oh, and maybe play up your makeup a bit from what you'd normally wear (bring some to work to apply and "freshen up").
Have fun!!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 AM

Hey all, turns out we may not be going this particular date. But I'm sure we will soon sometime. So thanks for all the great ideas. I did ask my friend and she's a jean/heels/nice top person, esp. since we'd have to go after work (office).

I guess I just thought that perhaps my idea of dressing up was outdated and "old".

Thanks again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty