Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

I run across the board of price ranges. Maybelline is still my favorite mascara, I use Retin-A religiously. I have face cleaner from Infinite brand (about $12), which has a 15% glycolic acid, and vitamin C cream from Body Shoppe that's $40.

I'm really big into products that list the percentage of active ingredients. I've made my own oil of emu, grapeseed and other oils with a mixture of essential oils.

I love finding great products at reasonable prices, though I am not adverse to paying $$$ for products that actually work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
I've been a QVC, Sephora and sample whooore lately. I've been trying out a lot of different products in sample size and then if I like it, I will splurge on the full size. This is mainly because as I'm getting older, my skin is changing and the products I used to use are not as effective anymore.

For some odd reason I am now breaking out more than I was the past year. I'm am almost positive it's due to these really expensive products.

Algenist - Have a .5 oz sample of their Firming and Lifting cream and also their Overnight Restorative cream. Both work really well on eliminating fine lines and wrinkles, but have dried my face out to no tomorrow. On top of this I am getting these really horrible, really deep large whiteheads that are next to impossible to extract without scarring. I'm laying off this one.

Murad Vitamin C moisturizer - I actually like this product, and it gives me a healthy glow on it. However I'm still kind of on the fence as it doesn't seem to do much.

Bare Minerals - Used to love their foundation, and now I'm beginning to hate it. Before it made my skin look amazing. Now it's starting to make me look fake and almost painted on. I generally have to throw some argan oil with it just to look remotely normal. Love their lipgloss, the Moxie ones are my new favorite.

Josie Maran Argan Oil - Love, love, love this stuff! I think I need to get more as I'm almost out. Also need to try her body butter, luckily her stuff is being sold in Sephora now.

Wen - While I used shampoo and conditioner for years, my baby fine, oily thin hair never really seemed to be full of volume and healthy looking unless I grew in my virgin hair. This is the only product I have found where my hair actually is growing faster, there's less hair falling out, it's shiny and I no longer have split ends by some miracle of God. It's expensive as all hell, but after going back to Pantene for a few days and having my hair feel like straw in comparison, I can't think about going back.

Philosophy body washes - These things make me break out for some unknown reason. While I love the scents and lather of the products, something in the formulation just does not agree with me.

Korres Quercetin and Oak products - Tried this line, and kind of on the fence about it. Their body wash was okay, as well as the lotion (still using it up) but not enough to stick with it.

Mally - Tried the eyeliner, it smudges like everyone else's despite her claims it's bulletproof. Her lipgloss is nice.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Thank goodness my sister and I both have Mom's good skin genes. Believe me, we have tried so many products over the years (including the home party stuff--Mary Kay, Avon, Jaffra, etc.). But I keep going back to old standbys that actually work for me--some of the most reliable cosmetics for me have been:

- Maybelline's Great Lash mascara--the pink bottle with the green top!
- Clinique blushes
- L'Oreal eye shadows and pencils
- Avon or Burt's Bees for lipsticks and glosses
- Opi nail polishes
- Cover Girl tinted moisturizer (it's lighter than foundation)
- Pure & Basic's Banana/Vanilla body lotion...for my face! I tried it in a pinch one day and haven't gone back to formulas created for the face. This body lotion is a God-send! I use it all over.

I guess I like the drug store makeup!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubba View Post
High end beauty products (malin+goetz, kiehl's) and drugstore brands, any difference? I know the high end ones probably have "better" or more organic ingredients. But really, do they make a difference?
I think it depends on what products you're talking about. I can't speak to makeup as I don't wear it, but I will talk about face care that I use.

I have oily/combination skin on which I use products from L'Occitane. The ingredients in L'Occitane products vs say Neutrogena are night and day. For example, a powder-based alcohol free toner (L'Occitane) vs water-based alcohol free toner (Neutrogena). There is a world of difference in the way these two products treat my skin. The powder works to dissolve the oils, whereas the Neutrogena is purely to refresh you.

There are also added fragrances, alcohols, parabens, etc. in the store brand products over higher end products. So, it may not be simply down to organic vs not, but the alcohols and such. High-end brands also tend to have a lighter weight than drugstore brands, when it comes to lotions and soaps.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
In case you're interested here is a list of the beauty brands that are owned by some of the major companies.

I would assume that at least some of the products in the Estee Lauder group of brands for example are made in the same plants so that you might be able to find a cheaper and a more expensive version of a similar product depending on which line you buy.

Something You should Know: In the cosmetic industry, who owns whom? « The Beauty Journal

Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I just bought some HIP L'oreal eyeshadow. It's supposed to be ultra pigmented. The woman at the checkout "warned" me about how dark it would be.

I now am officially done with drug store makeup.

It looked like a dark dark brown. It went on as a medium cocoa. It's okay... but still not quite as dark as I like.

I don't know what happened to drug store makeup, but eyeshadowes and blushes have no color anymore.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM

484 posts, read 854,807 times
it really depends on the product. there are drug store brands that are awesome and cheap. there are price products that are that are worthless

Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
My favorite products:

Lipstick: Revlon, for $4 they're so creamy and have such staying power. More expensive brand is NARS that I love.

Blush: NARS, $28. It just lasts me longer and has more staying power.

Moisturizer: Hope In a Jar - Philosophy. $39-$110. I have been trying to find the perfect moisturizer, this is it. I will splurge.

Face Wash: Purity - Philosophy. $10-$49. Same reason as above.

Mascara - Covergirl lash blast. $6. I've tried several expensive mascaras and this is the winner.

Tinted Moisturizer - Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer $10. It just works!

Tried and true, I'll stick with my above.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 AM

156 posts, read 285,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Chanel has a wonderful mascara that TRULY makes my lashes thick and extraordinarily long (and it smells like roses!)- this mascara lives up to the promises that all the inexpensive brands make.
Which mascara is this, Melaniej?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:21 AM

105 posts, read 199,865 times
When it comes to high-end beauty products, I've found that what I once thought was frivolous and just another money-making scheme is actually a must for me: Dior's Diorshow Lash primer and plumper. I'm frequently asked if I'm wearing false eyelashes- I'm not, it's just the primer. I'm still loyal to MUFE's Smoky Lash- and have been for years.

I've noticed my skin starting to change over this past year (hitting 30 would do that), so I've been sampling new skincare products over the past few months. I love being able to ask at Sephora for samples of products. In lieu of Rx-grade acne products, I've been using the DDF acne treatment. Murad's cleanser is great- once a day instead of twice so that all of your skin's natural oils aren't totally stripped- but combine that at night with something like Shiseido's Beneficiance cleanser. I'm still looking for a budget toner that I like (I understand the concept behind it now since adding moisturizer to completely open pores isn't great for avoiding blackheads!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty