Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I think tattoos are a non-issue. I was walking my dog yesterday (I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt from my college, my tattoo is on my leg, so no one could see it). A group of heavily tattooed and pierced people were sitting out. They asked about my dog, they played with him for a few minutes and we talked, they were the nicest people I have ever met.

I then walked by a guy wearing khaki pants and a polo shirt, about 45 years old. He looked like he was fairly well-off. The way he was standing, he was taking up the whole sidewalk. I said excuse me, he glanced back and didn't move. I have to physically push him out of the way to get around.

Now, which of those two people was trashy? Trash and as*holes come in all shapes and sizes.
I live across the street from a tattoo artist and his family (they have 3 super cute little boys) and when we moved in, they were the ONLY people on the entire street to come and welcome us to the neighborhood. We moved in early spring, so I was wearing long sleeves and gloves when moving, and so were they. It was about 5 months until we all realized we were all tattooed

Still to this day, only 2 other neighbors have even said hello to us, and that was only because we had just bought a new car and they wanted to ask about it.

I totally agree that as*holes can come in every shape and color.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Countless studies have shown that people start sizing up someone they have just met within a few seconds after first setting eyes on them. That tattoos frequently conjure up negative initial impressions is part of a conditioning that is complex and multi-factorial. It just is and no amount of chest pounding or soap box pontificating is going to change overnight how people, or any one individual, initially react to them. Acceptance of tattoos to the point they will never again raise another eyebrow will probably take a few more decades--or at least long enough to let those put off by them die off.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 04-12-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 11:45 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Tatoos come in all types and styles. Some are nice, others just tacky.

With that said, they've already started to go out of style to some extent because that's just how trends go, in cycles.

For example,

Saw a young gal with a breast cancer ribbon and poem tatooed on her back for her mom. To me, that's a good tatoo.

Then you have the million plus guys out there with the barb wire or maori pattern band tatoo around their arm which frankly screams "I got this with little thought and it's meaningless but hey look....I got a tatoo!"

My last gf and some of my good friends are HEAVILY tatooed, nice and highly intelligent professionals.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:59 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
I don't have any tatoos nor do I ever plan to. I don't think that makes me special in anyway, just personal choice.

It would make me special if every other dork on the planet is all inked up but me. Then I would be special, because my skin would look like a virgin to their skin and their tat needles.

Some people have discrete little tats that aren't readily noticable. But some people have tats on their fool head, their knuckles, all up their arm,neck, etc. Some folks have a tear drop near their eye. I've heard of people who have tried to get tats on their eyeballs, junk, I would suppose the lips, tongue, teeth and ear wouldn't be off limits.

For some people, it's a fashon statement. To others, it's a creed. To yet others, it shows that you belong to someone else or to some cause. To yet others, it's just another addiction.

I'm free, so I don't need one, nor do I want one. As a person without one speaking of folks who do have one or will maybe get one, choose wisely and think twice about getting your whole arm and face tatted up. The liver can only take so much abuse. Be careful of the Hep C. It's not cool to be "Hep". Are you Hep?

Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I understand the Nazis used to tattoo the Jews...

Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
I'm gonna go ahead and respond to the above post with Godwin's Law..

Quote:
A term that originated on Usenet, Godwin's Law states that as an online argument grows longer and more heated, it becomes increasingly likely that somebody will bring up Adolf Hitler or the Nazis. When such an event occurs, the person guilty of invoking Godwin's Law has effectively forfieted the argument.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 PM

What argument? I'm just stating a fact. It is my understanding that the Jews were tattooed with identifying numbers or marks of some kind. Take that any way you like.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:31 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
That's sort of a random thing to post in a thread about whether tattoos are fashionable or not, if there's no argument..

Old 04-12-2010, 01:39 PM

It does refer to tattoos, for whatever it's worth. The Maori and yakuza both believe in tattooing, but I don't belong to those groups.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM

739 posts, read 2,262,501 times
I only have 1 tattoo im 24 and I do not act like a child. I know cops judge you based on that because a cop told me that I just go from one side of Houston to the other playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty