Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I only took the time to read the first one, the Pew Research report. Found it very interesting and I was surprised to see such large percentages in all age groups that said it was a change for the worse. Had no idea anyone had done any research that included attitudes towards tattoos. Now I don't feel so "out of the loop".
I found that one interesting as well. It seems like a very odd question to ask.

I'm heavily tattooed and I wouldn't have answered that 'tattoos are a change for the better'...because they aren't. They also aren't a change for the worse.

It's just a tattoo (or two ) not a tool to take over the world.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
To me, at the very least, it's a sign that the person doesn't really like their body the way it is. It's a kind of disrespect. I know the person with the tatoo doesn't see it that way. They'd probably say that it can be the ultimate sign of respect. I disagee. I think those who have tatoos don't really understand the meaning of true respect (or at least they didn't at the time they got the tatoo).
I feel the same way about people who wear makeup, or get hair cuts, or cut their fingernails, or wear perfume, or wear deodorant.

I don't understand why these people disrespect their bodies so much by changing them. They should be happy with the way that their body is.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I feel the same way about people who wear makeup, or get hair cuts, or cut their fingernails, or wear perfume, or wear deodorant.

I don't understand why these people disrespect their bodies so much by changing them. They should be happy with the way that their body is.

How do you feel about people taking baths?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:11 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
How do you feel about people taking baths?
I take one once a week.

First, a quick warm shower to get off the dirt.

Then a long soak and good scrub with the exfoliating gloves

Then another quick shower to get off all the muddy water and dead skin cells.

No soap. Ever.

I think most people take baths wrong.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I take one once a week.

First, a quick warm shower to get off the dirt.

Then a long soak and good scrub with the exfoliating gloves

Then another quick shower to get off all the muddy water and dead skin cells.

No soap. Ever.

I think most people take baths wrong.
Well.....ok

Old 06-19-2010, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
My concern is the fact they are present often affects the ability to get a good job. Love and Hate on your knuckles does not make for good customer service. Tats that show while in dress clothes or uniform are not considered acceptable. People should give careful thought to marking your body with anything that will always be with you. When you are in a nursing facility at 80 and the nurse takes you for your bath...the tatted chain on your ankle will look like you forgot to take your socks off and the stretched earlobes will be a topic of great laughter in the tub. Your small rose on the brest will have a long stem, and the one above your butt will be on your butt. How cute is that?

Old 06-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsoino69 View Post
My concern is the fact they are present often affects the ability to get a good job. Love and Hate on your knuckles does not make for good customer service. Tats that show while in dress clothes or uniform are not considered acceptable. People should give careful thought to marking your body with anything that will always be with you. When you are in a nursing facility at 80 and the nurse takes you for your bath...the tatted chain on your ankle will look like you forgot to take your socks off and the stretched earlobes will be a topic of great laughter in the tub. Your small rose on the brest will have a long stem, and the one above your butt will be on your butt. How cute is that?

There's a difference between getting a tattoo on your shoulderblade and getting tattoos on your hands And I (and many other tattooed people) have thought long and hard about what we want on our bodies and are very happy with what we've chosen. Why does everyone assume that everyone who gets a tattoo will regret it?? There was a link in one of the other posts that said 83% of people don't regret their tattoos....I think that's pretty good.

And like I've said before...if I live to be 80, my saggy tattoos will be the least of my worries. And don't you think it's quite rude for a nurse to be laughing at a patient? As for the stretched earlobes, those are easily fixed. I went from 1/2" down to 4g (At least I think that's where I'm at) with no problems whatsoever. My sister's were nearly 1" and she's joining the police academy and it took her a few weeks and her's are now shrunk down to normal earring size.

And surprisingly, if you take care of your skin, your skin won't be too bad as you get older. My grandmother takes ridiculously good care of her skin and she has barely wrinkled, very smooth skin at age 67. I'm hoping it's a bit of genetics as well, since I take really good care of my skin and hope it stays nice as I age.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My grandmother takes ridiculously good care of her skin and she has barely wrinkled, very smooth skin at age 67. I'm hoping it's a bit of genetics as well, since I take really good care of my skin and hope it stays nice as I age.
Does you grandma have tattoo's? If not then she's a leg up for skin care.

Folk's from her generation frowned upon women getting tattoo's except for a few women that worked the carnivals as freak attractions back then.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:36 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Folk's from her generation frowned upon women getting tattoo's except for a few women that worked the carnivals as freak attractions back then.
And if she does?

Because I remember JJ saying she has a tattoo.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Yes, she does and she LOVES it. In fact, we may be getting small matching tattoos later this year.

My skin may be colorful, but I can GUARANTEE it will be in better shape when compared to people who tan constantly. I take better care of my skin than anyone I know...except for my friends who are tattooed.

And yes, people did look down upon women getting tattooed and now she's making up for it. People also looked down upon women mechanics and women pilots... and women doing basically anything that wasn't secretarial work, or standing barefoot in the kitchen taking care of kids. Things have changed and my grandmother is VERY happy they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty