Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:35 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,324,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
From the Original Poster:

I have nothing against a Hollywood type trying to keep their career going a few years longer through trying to look young but what I laugh at is women in their 40s and 50s in the real world that dress exactly like their late teenage daughter. If you are 45 do you wear the same clothes as your 18-20 year old daughter?
Wait, I don't understand then...why are you pointing out specific actresses in later posts that are NOT dressing like an 18-20 year old. They may dress sexy, not like a teen, what's wrong with dressing sexy if you have what it takes? Again, nothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,571,072 times
Quote:
From the Original Poster:

I have nothing against a Hollywood type trying to keep their career going a few years longer through trying to look young but what I laugh at is women in their 40s and 50s in the real world that dress exactly like their late teenage daughter.
What? Their late teenage daughter? Whose daughter died and who is trying to dress like said dead daughter?

That's one helluva run on sentence you got going there too, Mr Brainy Intellectual Type.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:42 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,027,949 times
Who says this woman has to dress like she is 40? She pays her own bills and apparently feels younger than what she is "supposed to" leave her be!

Quote:
In Hollywood older actresses try to fool everyone and through a combination of camera tricks, plastic surgery and good genes try to look just like they did when they were in their 20s. Look at Jennifer Aniston, age 41, tries to look exactly like she did 20 years ago. She styles her hair and dresses like someone who is 20 years old. It is time for her to act and look her age.

Jennifer Aniston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A woman in the office is the same. She is always styling her hair and dressing just like someone in her 20s. Doesn't she see that she needs a makeover. Yes, try to look young but, girl, no one is fooled, you are no longer in your 20s!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,842,071 times
I'll be 49 next week. I typically wear men's sweatpants and a funky tee-shirt. Currently, it's a monochrome air-brush style fairy wielding a longsword on a blue background.

Tomorrow it might be a cartoon cat hanging from a tree by its tail that reads, "Morning doesn't start until after my first cup of coffee."

I drive a Jag.

I'm worried I might be too old for the Jag. Maybe I'll trade it in for a mini-van.

NOT

Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,307,570 times
Quote:
In Hollywood older actresses try to fool everyone and through a combination of camera tricks, plastic surgery and good genes try to look just like they did when they were in their 20s. Look at Jennifer Aniston, age 41, tries to look exactly like she did 20 years ago. She styles her hair and dresses like someone who is 20 years old. It is time for her to act and look her age.

Jennifer Aniston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A woman in the office is the same. She is always styling her hair and dressing just like someone in her 20s. Doesn't she see that she needs a makeover. Yes, try to look young but, girl, no one is fooled, you are no longer in your 20s!
Tell you what: Send these links to Jennifer ASAP; your co-worker too. They must not know about these stylish and fabulous finds:
Home Page - Blair
homepage (http://www.alfreddunner.com/2010spring/homepage.html - broken link)

Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM

11,325 posts, read 18,948,595 times
What is wrong with trying to look and feel good?

I do not think that women (or men) should be obsessed with trying to be 20 or anything like that to the point that it becomes depressing, but let's face it, if you can "take what you've got" and make it look as good as you can (emphasizing the "as you can" part, like long hair with "old" looking skin is just weird looking, but if you have that kind of skin and want to take short hair and dye it or create a slight "salt n pepper" look why not do that?), that is a big confidence booster and confidence is sexy, not just for your partner, but for yourself (i.e. a confident man rarely has trouble "performing" or "wanting it").

My wife and I are in our mid-40s and while we don't obsess trying to relive our youth, we try to look reasonably good, again simply with what we've got and it makes us feel good while not driving us mad. There's a fine line between looking your best and "going overboard", but when you do the latter it usually shows, even though your friends may be nice about it.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:01 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,884,063 times
Life begins at forty .. however i dont think its appropriate to even make a remark or statements at peoples lifestyles ..as long as their happy with themselves fair enough but trying to go that extra mile to prove a point seems ridiculous .. where J.A and her age i dont see anything crappy about the way she styles herself .. we must discuss about her after 20 more years or so lol ..probably then i'd agree she should ''Act her Age'' ..oops ! there i made a statement already ..tongue in cheek ..ouch lol

Old 04-25-2010, 10:05 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,485,736 times
Yes, Jennifer Aniston and the other Hollywood 40-somethings are beautiful, fit, sexy. Money, personal trainers, personal nutritionists/chefs, and cosmetic surgery will do that for you.

However, I agree with the OP about the woman in his/her office. It's kind of pathetic/sad when you have a woman in her 40s or 50s trying to look like a 19 or 20 year old. I've seen it also --- wearing revealing clothing or skin-tight clothing, crazy hair styles, outrageous makeup, piercings, etc.

The thing is, you can look very sexy at 40 or 50 (even if you're not a "Hollywood" person), but you can do it with class and without trying to look 1/2 your age (which, IMO, makes you seem even older)

Old 04-25-2010, 05:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,326,696 times
I think Jennifer Anniston, while I never cared for her, looks better now than she did in her "Friends" years ~ her face has taken on a softer look or something (can't pin it down). I'm just glad she doesn't wear that horrid hairstyle she made popular in the 90's.

But, yes, a lot of actresses do try to look like teenagers, and I had to laugh whenever I saw photos of Meg Ryan with that short "messy" do earlier in the decade. The idea was to knock off years, and to me it didn't work.

It is also very rare to see cover photos of actresses that aren't airbrushed to death, and I don't know about anything else, but it's always very noticeable to me.

Calipoppy, I'm glad you included "cosmetic surgery" in your post. With their money, anyone can look a lot younger .

Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,694,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Yes, Jennifer Aniston and the other Hollywood 40-somethings are beautiful, fit, sexy. Money, personal trainers, personal nutritionists/chefs, and cosmetic surgery will do that for you.

However, I agree with the OP about the woman in his/her office. It's kind of pathetic/sad when you have a woman in her 40s or 50s trying to look like a 19 or 20 year old. I've seen it also --- wearing revealing clothing or skin-tight clothing, crazy hair styles, outrageous makeup, piercings, etc.

The thing is, you can look very sexy at 40 or 50 (even if you're not a "Hollywood" person), but you can do it with class and without trying to look 1/2 your age (which, IMO, makes you seem even older)
I'm a non-celebrity, 40 and my body is still banging, and I would happily wear just about anything you'd see Jennifer Aniston wear. I don't thing this makes me pathetic in the slightest. I love myself and I embrace anything I wear that looks good on me. Meaning, I love at myself in the mirror and give it a thumbs up. Anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty