Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

Today, the paper said there are more than enough signatures varified to get the bill on the ballot for Nov. Of course if it passes, Benton County will be wet. How do you feel about this? Anyone of you want it to stay dry and if so, why?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Didn't this happen some years ago? I think the Washington County and Missouri liquor stores would spend a lot of money campaigning again it. Remember the fight when Sam's moved to Fayetteville and wanted to sell liquor?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,669 times
Big difference between people signing a petition and voting for Benton Co to go wet- I know my husband signed because he wants the vote to happen, where he will vote "no", as he hopes the discussion will be over once and for all then.

I don't mind either way... I will likely vote yes as the increased tax revenue would be nice.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Didn't this happen some years ago? I think the Washington County and Missouri liquor stores would spend a lot of money campaigning again it. Remember the fight when Sam's moved to Fayetteville and wanted to sell liquor?
nope, the last time it was on the ballot was 1944, that is more than a few years ago. It has been up for signatures many times, but this is the first time there have been enough plus to get it on the ballot. Yes, you would think the MO stores would fight it, but this time they had Walton family money on the side of getting it on the ballot and MacAdoodles already has a stop and shop store in bella Vista that certainly will go wet, plus the own a huge piece of land right at the Rainbow curve in Bentonville. WalMart is hoping to put in a Neighborhood Market on 71, in Bella Vista. They already are purchasing the land. It will have a liqour store and gas station as well.

Nita

Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Big difference between people signing a petition and voting for Benton Co to go wet- I know my husband signed because he wants the vote to happen, where he will vote "no", as he hopes the discussion will be over once and for all then.

I don't mind either way... I will likely vote yes as the increased tax revenue would be nice.
The consesus of opinion by the business owners and people who manage stores like Allens grocery store is the bill will pass by at least 60%. They never have gotten enough signatures to get it on the ballot. The last time they tried was 1944. I think the tax revenue will be the point that will push it over the top. For us, living in the Highlands, we would just as soon go to MO, but we would like the tax $$s to stay in our county. I would imagine we will split our purchases up. If we are shopping at say, ALlens, we would probably buy liquor somewhere near there. If not, we will go to MO. BTW, we do not drink enough to keep any of these people in business or even to help them stay in business, but I do buy my share of wine and we usually keep a few other liquors on hand.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,669 times
The last bottle of liquor I bought I had to throw out (Baileys, the cream went off after over a year in the fridge). So, it doesn't really affect us, other than indirectly via taxes. I don't think there will be more DUIs as you can already get alcohol if you want to.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 AM

exatly as for the DUIs. In fact that was an argument often used in Texas where we lived. The city was dry, no the county. Those opposed to the sale of liquor would talk about DUIs. There probably is a bigger chance for DUIs if one has to drive further to buty liquor. Of course here in Benton Co, you can buy a drink in almost any restaurant and that is normally where the heavy drinking take place, either in the home or in a restaurant, not while actually in the car. I would rather see someone buy booze and drive 2 miles to their home, than buy it and drive 10.

Nita

Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,855 times
The Little Rock Democrat Gazette reported there are still 40 dry counties in AR .
I believe some will go wet in November.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,643 times
If I lived in Benton County, I would definitely prefer it to be wet. That is one other thing that makes Fayetteville more appealing than Bentonville or Rogers for a possible relocation.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
The Little Rock Democrat Gazette reported there are still 40 dry counties in AR .
I believe some will go wet in November.
I think you are right, even little Madison Co, is trying to get enough signatures to have it on the ballot. There are a total of, I think 75 counties in Ar and just think; that means over 1/2 are still dry. In the 2010 election a few that were dry, did go wet. I am sure, we will see the entire state change in the next 5 to 10 years. Going wet doesn't mean anymore drunk drivers on the roads, in fact there may be less and it doesn't affect those who do not drink for whatever reason, be it religious, don't like it, or have related problems. It is something each should be able to decide for him/herself...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers