Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM

6 posts, read 24,019 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from So Cal to raise our young family and expand our business opportunity.

We teach seminars and the majoriity of our students fly to our facility; because of this, we could move almost anywhere that meet the following requirements:

1. At least a regional airport within 45 minutes.
2. Descent hotels and restaurants (with vegetarian options)
3. Organic food availability
4. Good schools (we have two kids); We like that the Montessori in Fayetteville teaches Mandarin.
5. Property with at least 60 acres, water (well, spring, or pond), woods (some pasture ok), and not perfectly flat (some topographical interest).
6. An area that has seasons, but not too extreme on either end: not too humid or not too much snow.

A friend told us about NWA. We researched the area and liked what we could find online. In the last year, I visited the Fayetteville area 3 times. The first 2 times I loved it, could see myself and family living there, the third visit left me with serious reservations. We are planning to come in May 2013 to address these reservations... and make a final decision.

-1st trip, April 2012 - stayed for 6 days. 3 days in Eureka Springs and 3 days in Fayetteville. Tried my best to get chiggers to feel how bad their bites will be.... got none!

-2nd trip in July 2012 - stayed 5 days. Purpose was to try out the humidity, however during our visit a heat wave struck and there was almost no humidity. During this time I found the restaurant scene very limited to our needs.

-3rd trip January 2013 - stayed for 2 days only. Hated it. It was freezing cold. I heard it was an anomoly. The day I arrived was a Monday, Greenfields was closed. The Deli area in Ozark Natural Foods were closed for renovations. After driving around for over an hour trying to find something to eat, I ended up at a restaurant ordering a house salad with soggy cucumbers, it was horrible. A nice warm meal in the cold weather would have been nice (gluten, dairy and egg free).

My reservations include:
1) limited availalility of restaurtants that would serve our needs (Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Egg Free),
2) no Trader Joe's (I read all the threads on this forum) -!. I saw the Bring Trader Joe's to Fayetteville page on Facebook. If there was a TJ's, our decision would be much easier. I will be voting to bring a TJ's to NWA!
3) We prefer organic and found only 1 natural food store - Ozark Natural Foods - a bit limited and expensive.
4) During my 3rd visit, driving around something was bothering me about the area, not sure what it was. I am hoping by gathering pro's and con's from locals, it will make my upcoming May trip more informed.

My husband is very eager to move to Fayetteville. However, he always says "Happy wife = Happy life,"
and I would truly love to love the area...but I am hesistating....

I am hoping to get some input either for or against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 PM

5 posts, read 17,417 times
sounds to me like there is opportunity for some entrepreneur spirit to fill the need for organic. come and start a business

Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 AM

119 posts, read 243,860 times
I can say this winter has seemed unusually cold, last winter was much warmer

I think Ozark Natural Foods is the only grocery of the type you describe but I often go to restaurants that have vegetarian and gluten-free options

I noticed that you didn't post about the people, but I can tell you they are very friendly and welcoming to transplants!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrush View Post
I can say this winter has seemed unusually cold, last winter was much warmer

I think Ozark Natural Foods is the only grocery of the type you describe but I often go to restaurants that have vegetarian and gluten-free options

I noticed that you didn't post about the people, but I can tell you they are very friendly and welcoming to transplants!
Also Fresh Market has organic and I am relatively sure they carry glueten free. Even our little grocery store here in BV has a huge glueten free section now.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM

37 posts, read 59,833 times
Definitely try to check out the downtown Farmer's Market if you're going to be in the Fayetteville area on a Saturday morning. I found several vendors there selling organic produce at very reasonable prices.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophsils View Post
Definitely try to check out the downtown Farmer's Market if you're going to be in the Fayetteville area on a Saturday morning. I found several vendors there selling organic produce at very reasonable prices.
we love the farmers Market in both, Fayetteville and Bentonville, but I don't think i would say the organic foods are reasonable....No organic foods are reasonalble.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 PM

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

For the last 3 days I read hundreds of past forum posts. Today I watched You Tube video's on Fayetteville, AR.

Edofmaui - we fell in love with a property in West Fork, AR - more thank 50 acres. I might try my hand at starting a garden and who knows, I might be selling Organic produce at the Farmers Market for a start. Thank you for reminding me that I can take action.

Bjrush - The people I met while there was GREAT. We took our 2 small kids age 4 and 2 to the library. Talked to other moms and we were pleasantly surprised at their willingness to talk to us, complete strangers and give us advice. We do not see that often here in California. The friendly and helpfulness of the people I have met is very high on my pro list.

nmntia - thank you for your reply. I will visit Fresh Market in May. I just been to their website, looks interesting.
Also Nita, I have seen from other threads that you have family in West Fork. We are also interested in a property in West Fork.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:20 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAShan View Post

My reservations include:
1) limited availalility of restaurtants that would serve our needs (Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Egg Free),
2) no Trader Joe's (I read all the threads on this forum) -!. I saw the Bring Trader Joe's to Fayetteville page on Facebook. If there was a TJ's, our decision would be much easier. I will be voting to bring a TJ's to NWA!
3) We prefer organic and found only 1 natural food store - Ozark Natural Foods - a bit limited and expensive.
4) During my 3rd visit, driving around something was bothering me about the area, not sure what it was. I am hoping by gathering pro's and con's from locals, it will make my upcoming May trip more informed.

My husband is very eager to move to Fayetteville. However, he always says "Happy wife = Happy life,"
and I would truly love to love the area...but I am hesistating....

I am hoping to get some input either for or against.
Did you try Greenhouse Grille? There is a food truck called Kind Kitchen (https://www.facebook.com/KindKitchen?ref=ts&fref=ts) that travels around NWA, but seems to usually be at NWACC in Bentonville. There are also some Asian fusion restaurants that may serve your needs? Really, you aren't going to have nearly as many options as California, though.

As far as organic/natural foods, Ozark Natural Foods is the best option in the area other than Fresh Market in Rogers. But I find that the selection of organic at Fresh Market isn't that great either, and it's expensive. The other option is Fayetteville's farmer's market, which is the best in the state. You might also have to get creative and order directly from farmers (Green Fork Farmers Market — LocallyGrown.net) for things like meat (if you eat meat?). You can also order CSA boxes, and get local produce (maybe organic), delivered weekly during the growing season.

I'm currently looking into ordering from Azure standard (https://www.azurestandard.com), which delivers to the area once a month. You can buy produce, meat, and natural food products like gluten free items. It's all much cheaper than you'd find at Ozark Natural Foods, but you have to order in most things in bulk.

Is there a reason you didn't choose Eureka Springs (the chiggers, maybe...lol)? I would think that would be a perfect place for retreats. You'd still have the same problem with affordable organic food, but the stores in that town offer about the same choices as you'd find in Fayetteville, as do the restaurants. There is also an alternative school called Clear Spring School for K-12th grade.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAShan View Post
We are looking to relocate from So Cal to raise our young family and expand our business opportunity.

We teach seminars and the majoriity of our students fly to our facility; because of this, we could move almost anywhere that meet the following requirements:

1. At least a regional airport within 45 minutes.
2. Descent hotels and restaurants (with vegetarian options)
3. Organic food availability
4. Good schools (we have two kids); We like that the Montessori in Fayetteville teaches Mandarin.
5. Property with at least 60 acres, water (well, spring, or pond), woods (some pasture ok), and not perfectly flat (some topographical interest).
6. An area that has seasons, but not too extreme on either end: not too humid or not too much snow.
1. Airport- While I primarily use XNA, I check airfare out of Fort Smith, Tulsa, Springfield, and Branson. Just flew out of Branson, which reminded me of the good ol' days in F'ville flying out of Drake Field. Word of Advice--think twice before flying out of Branson during the winter months.
2. Hotels and restaurants-F'ville certainly has both. For your "veggie"--Greenhouse Grille, Brick House Kitchen (now on the Square), Common Grounds, just to name a few.
3. Organic food--Of course, Ozark Natural Foods is the largest and oldest. With Farmers' Market starting up soon, you will be able to find more organic foods and farmers. There are a lot. Most you don't see throughout the year because these are small family farms. Check out Nightbird Books on Dickson St. In the past they have held food markets throughout the year (I believe it was on a Tues. or Thurs. night)
4. Schools--you really can't go wrong with any of the schools in NWA.
5. Property--think you found this one
6. Weather/seasons-the joke in NWA is that if you don't like the weather, stick around for a day or two, it will change! Humidity is not so bad. Snow! Any is too much for me these days

Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 PM

Soanchorless -
Thank you for your great feedback. Eureka Springs was great. I do believe that it is a wonderful place to have retreats. I love to walk/run. Eureka Springs does not have proper sidewalks where I can run/walk with 2 dogs and a double stroller. Which on the other hand, Fayetteville's Trail system was fantastic. With 2 small kids I think I might need more than Eureka Springs.... like the library in Fayetteville. I also drove to Eureka Springs in January, did not like that many places were closed for the season.

OurGreatEscape - Thank you for the great tips and advice. In May I will visit the Brick House and Common Grounds, we have been to Green House Grille.
I agree with you regarding the snow. My first experience with real snow was when I moved to the USA 8 years ago and it was not pleasant. Nobody told me about frost bite trying to build a snowman without gloves... And making a snow angel... I was soaking wet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers