Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 02:39 PM

14 posts, read 20,339 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to move to NWA- Fayetteville area in about a year. I'm hoping to find out some information on the area? He has lived in Mountain Home and loved it.

How hot and humid does it actually get? Snowy? I live in Boise, ID right now and there is next to zero humidity so I'm really worried if I can handle the heat. I've never experienced humidity. We also only get a few snows a year and hope to have even less in Arkansas.

I would like a quiet area that is very low crime with lots of outdoor family friendly activities. We have 2 toddlers. We don't care about nightlife as neither of us drink. We are looking for walking trails, lots of trees, parks, museums, etc. that we can do as a family. We actually like a quiet suburban area for our neighborhood that is a short drive to everything we need. Clean too.

We don't have any scorpions here and I've never seen a snake except a grass snake on a trail. How bad are the crawlies and also mosquitos? I'd hate to never get outside due to bugs. I do look forward to seeing a lightening bug, if those are there.

Being the quiet family type, which city in the area might be the best fit for us. We are in the early 40's.

Thanks for any information. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Fayetteville climate will be very similar to Mountain Home.

Hot and humid? Yes. July and August can be scorchers. The humidity in Northwest Arkansas isn't as bad as it is in the River Valley or around Little Rock. But if you're used to no humidity, it can be pretty bad.

Snow? Generally a few snows a year. Usually gone in a day or so.

Quiet area? Easily found.

Low crime? I can't say I've ever heard of anyone having an issue with the crime rate around Northwest Arkansas. That said, the area is growing, and there is some crime.

Family friendly? Very.

Not a prevalence of scorpions in Northwest Arkansas. Chiggers and ticks, on the other hand.... But they don't keep people inside. Northwest Arkansas is a very outdoors-oriented area. Lightning bugs are definitely here.

Which city might be best depends on a lot of things. Where you end of working, what kind of commute you're willing to commit to, but most of all, the intangibles. Do you like things all shiny, new and fresh? Or do you like a more historic feel? Do you want a university town like Fayetteville? Or a more corporate town? Big yards that require a lot of work, or small yards that free up your time? Your own swimming pool, or a pool shared by the neighborhood?

I've heard lots of very nice things about Boise. Perhaps you just need to visit Northwest Arkansas to explore a little?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
I have been in Fayetteville for almost 7 years. I've never seen a scorpion or a snake in my yard.

The humidity will be a big shift for you, but that is the price you pay for having so many beautiful green trees all around.

Fayetteville can get cold in the winter, and there are (by my count) at least three or four snows per year, with one or two lasting on the ground for a few days. Its the perfect amount of snow, IMO. Kids grow up knowing what snow is, and getting to play around in the snow, but its not so frequent as to cause headaches.

We had a pretty significant ice storm a few years back, but the locals say its a rare occurence, and I haven't seen anything like it since.

I would say that mosquitos and bugs in general aren't a big issue here. Its got some elevation so most of the water runs off. The creeks and streams here tend to be fast-moving and clear. The brown, slow moving water is more common downstate (south of the Arkansas River).

You will enjoy Fayetteville. I've not met many people who didn't have great things to say about this town.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 AM

14 posts, read 20,339 times
Thank you so much for the info. I will take a trip out there for sure. It sounds so nice. Any opinions on the different cities of northwest AR? Any favorites and why? Least favorites?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
I see a lot of people talking about "chiggers and ticks". We don't have any pets and I can't say ticks are a problem, at least here in our yard. I'm not sure I even know what a "chigger" is. I spent a relatively large amount of time in the outdoors, and I've not had a problem with either. I usually put on a little Off just as a precaution, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers