Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM

120 posts, read 216,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you have posted some very good advise and information, but I also think the OP needs to check out more than one city or town. We spent a good part of our working days involved in moving to new locations because of job transfers or new employment opportunities. I would never have considered a move without looking at two or three areas.

You have listed a lot of positive things about Fayetteville including some of the schools, both private and public. This could be said about some of the other choices in both Bentonville and Rogers. I know by us doing research and checking out various locations we never made a move and later wondered if we should have checked another location more closely.
Thanks! I have researched the schools in Bentonville and Rogers, they seem to be great options. Once we have a feel for the towns and ultimately/hopefully neighborhoods, I will be able to find out the schools that serve them and do some better research on that. So, we will be visiting Fayetteville, Rogers, and Bentonville, and that is pretty much it.

So I live .5 mile from Folsom Lake, is Beaver Lake the major recreational lake for that area? I know there are a ton nearby, and looking at maps, that appears to be it. Feedback as re lakes for boating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM

I'm looking at neighborhoods in Bentonville (seems like schools there are top-rated), and I'm loving the Heathrow and North areas...can find drop dead gorgeous homes in the 500-600k range! Crazy!!
I love the proximity of being walking distance to the "downtown" area and museums and trails...I am eager to check that area out.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 PM

5,783 posts, read 11,470,979 times
Wow, just a 2 day visit to make a big decision about re-location??

Ok, Lesson 1, page 1 for anybody moving to an area they have never lived in - don't buy real estate until you have rented for at least 6 months. Rule applies to anyone moving anywhere new that is beyond your local home turf. You can rent a house in NWA for affordable terms and it won't hurt a bit.

I've visited NWA a few times. I like many things about the area in contrast with where I live & work in Southern California.
- NWA has abundant green trees and vegetation from Spring to fall, and then it has good fall foliage colors.
- The air quality in NWA is good, which is something that people from many big urban areas would appreciate.
- The drinking water quality of NWA city water out of the tap is good. Some people in NWA might not even think about it, but good water quality is a resource that will become more important in the future. Ask people in any part of the US or elsewhere dealing with drought, and water is a big deal. I see there are some shale gas fracking zones in middle AR, and I hope they don't mess up the water quality with too much fracking / drilling.
- The water quality of most lakes in NWA, Ozarks and central AR is good, especially compared to most states in the midwest and southeast. That makes for good fishing, boating and paddling.
- AR gets about 40 inches of rain annually. Enough rain for gardens and for lakes & rivers, but also more sunny days than places further south and east.

Would I move to NWA from here in southern cal? Maybe. It's one of several places on my list. I am going to keep working at the good paying job for a couple of more years until age 63. It would be an easy move for me. I lived in Alabama for a few years in the 1990s while on a job assignment and I got along there just fine. When I was in the Army 40 years ago I spent a fair amount of time at Ft Leonard Wood (MO) in the Ozarks, just a bit north of NWA. Again, I liked it just fine there (and I was a young, dumb Army Private!) However, if I moved to NWA I would still follow Lesson 1, page 1. Rent for 6+ months!!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 PM

I know, it's crazy. This is my first visit. My husband has been there a dozen times for work trips, so he is familiar with the area and needs my feedback. He knows it's a hard sell for me because I'm a California native and used to home (the Bay, Tahoe, the coast, Napa, etc etc) and plus family will be so far which is tough for me (and I HATE FLYING so in order to see them, which I'd want to do several times per year at LEAST, I'd need some pretty good "relaxants")
Anyhow, yes, they have a corporate/executive housing option for temporary rentals that he mentioned. I like being able to rent for a while before committing to a purchase, so thank you for reinforcing that inclination.
Hadn't even wondered about air/water quality, but important info! Glad it's positive.
That is good to hear you're a fan of the area being a SoCal guy. My favorite place in the world is San Diego, and we'd been talking about moving there (so...kind of a 180!)
I figure if I go out and think it's great, I would probably make another trip to look at housing options. So hopefully 2 trips to see what it's like. It honestly sounds great. I'm just worried about missing my family and feeling isolated with no family and friends nearby. But, I know I could join running clubs, yoga studio, mom groups, etc. I'm Christian, but not real churchy, so no Bible studies for me - and pretty pro-science (read: not a creationist, yikes!) plus I'm pretty Libertarian in my views, so I'm hoping I am easily able to find other like-minded people who won't think I'm some crazy hippie from San Francisco! hahahaha.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:14 PM

And just to confirm - Benton is a WET county, now, correct? 2012? Kind of used to coming home with a bottle of wine (or 6) and beer occasionally!

Old 05-21-2014, 05:25 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,167,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post
I know, it's crazy. This is my first visit. My husband has been there a dozen times for work trips, so he is familiar with the area and needs my feedback. He knows it's a hard sell for me because I'm a California native and used to home (the Bay, Tahoe, the coast, Napa, etc etc) and plus family will be so far which is tough for me (and I HATE FLYING so in order to see them, which I'd want to do several times per year at LEAST, I'd need some pretty good "relaxants")
Anyhow, yes, they have a corporate/executive housing option for temporary rentals that he mentioned. I like being able to rent for a while before committing to a purchase, so thank you for reinforcing that inclination.
Hadn't even wondered about air/water quality, but important info! Glad it's positive.
That is good to hear you're a fan of the area being a SoCal guy. My favorite place in the world is San Diego, and we'd been talking about moving there (so...kind of a 180!)
I figure if I go out and think it's great, I would probably make another trip to look at housing options. So hopefully 2 trips to see what it's like. It honestly sounds great. I'm just worried about missing my family and feeling isolated with no family and friends nearby. But, I know I could join running clubs, yoga studio, mom groups, etc. I'm Christian, but not real churchy, so no Bible studies for me - and pretty pro-science (read: not a creationist, yikes!) plus I'm pretty Libertarian in my views, so I'm hoping I am easily able to find other like-minded people who won't think I'm some crazy hippie from San Francisco! hahahaha.
you are going to find a mixture when it comes to religion. Everyone thinks AR: So: bible belt, but there are a lot of people who either do not attend church or only once in awhile. Our granddaughter, living in the Hanover area of Bentonville does not attend church, our other granddaughter does. You will be asked, if you have a family church by some, but overall no one will try and push religion down your throat.

As for buying or renting, again, we were part to the family that moved often when our kids were growing up; we always purchased a home so we could get the family settled and help them adjust to their new home and school. We didn't want them to have to change schools more than was necessary. I think a good realtor is a great asset.

Yes, Beaver Lake is the most popular recreational, summer area, but there are others as well. '

Oh yes, Benton County is very much wet now, we finally joined the 21st century.

Keep us posted on your progress. Having access to the internet will help you so much. I remember when we would relocate, we had to depend on literature from our company, view hubby would get from other employees and what I could find in the library. You have access to so much more. That is another reason buying a home isn't the gamble it was years ago.
Nita

Old 05-21-2014, 05:41 AM

602 posts, read 1,522,625 times
Norcalgirl--While you didn't say who your husband could be working for, I can imagine Please keep commute times in mind on your quick visit. Having said that, it sounds like he travels a lot, leaving you and the kids so be sure that the community fits YOU!

Fayetteville has an active running community. Run by Rush Running on College Ave (located next to Evelyn Hills shopping center and Ozark Natural Foods) and/or Fleet Feet (farther down off College near Hobby Lobby). Both shops can give you all the skinny on our running community.

Some other coffee shops in F'ville--Jammin' Java(on the Square) and Lil Bread Company(on Block St off the Square).

For burgers--Feltner Brothers on College Ave. It's not In&Out but this family has been "famous" in Arkansas for years (the Brothers grandfather started the first burger joint in Russellville).

I second the recommendation for renting first. With your budget, you should have no problem finding a home when you decide to buy.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 AM

39 posts, read 82,811 times
Quote:
Thank you for the links!! I had found yoga deza last week and was planning on trying a class, I didn't know about the others (possibly b/c I was only looking in Bentonville where we're staying) - Onyx Coffee Lab looks AWESOME

Thank you for the school links, very cool!

Is there a Costco out that way?
Sorry. No Costco! nearest one is in Tulsa (an hour and half drive from here).

Since you sound like a dedicated yogi, couple of more yoga studios for you:

Arkansas Yoga Center : Fayetteville, Arkansas
Millennium Life Center | Yoga, tai chi, and fitness in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Fayetteville is littered with many of them. You can try out and see which is the best fit if you choose to live in Fayetteville.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM

I was just informed that there would be no need of a Costco Am I crazy to be super excited about the visit? I am currently in a HUGE group text with my family who is really upset that I am open to moving there. They bring up all the stereotypes and the fact that I'd be so far. But I know if I ended up hating it after novelty wore off, we could ALWAYS come back. I just am really eager to visit and see it in person. The online research plus the 5,000 brochures that I've been getting from various chambers and organizations have helped a TON. But talking to real people who live there has been priceless. I'm truly grateful for the help. I will go in with an open mind and realize that nothing is permanent, and like I said before, if I like it enough to want to give it a shot, I can pretend I'm a tourist and experience a whole new area. We could always come back to the Bay Area or Sacramento area if we HAD to. I never thought I'd say I'd be open to a move. It says a lot about how special and cool of a place Bentonville/Fayetteville/NWA must be that I have actually come around based purely on distant research! I hope it holds up when I get out there! (or do I??? Decisions!!!!!)

Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,985,949 times
Quote:
I am looking forward to visiting the town centers, they look lovely from the brochures. I, too, am a stay at home mother (really, should say WORK at home mother, because that is really what it is!) I do a lot of running, so glad to here there are many activities.
I will check out Hancock Park, sounds perfect!
I can live without Trader Joe's, it is Nugget Market that will be my most missed store. It is like a more mellow, less expensive Whole Foods, but just as beautiful and with great selection. Maybe less hippies, which is a major plus for my husband haha

In n Out, I can live without, but not sure about my family. I already looked up Chipotle and Starbucks and found their locations!

I think Fayetteville will be where we spend the first day (latter part, maybe dinner?) and morning before we fly home, with Bentonville and Rogers the other 2. Thank you for your help!
You do know the airport is essentially in Bentonville? Highfill was just a few farms adjacent to Bentonville before the airport was built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers