Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTM View Post
No, but if I moved to Bella Vista, I think I would be the only Jew there. I'm not religious really although I have attended different churches too so I am pretty open minded. My problem is that as soon as someone looks at me or I open my mouth, it's clear I came from NY or SoCal. I'm not obnoxious; it's just the way I look. My other concern, don't most people move to this area to work for Walmart? I personally detest Walmart. So, why else would anyone move to this area except to work for Walmart or the Tyson bird killers?
Let's just say your negative attitude about the 2 biggest industries in our region, 2 of the largest in the world would not sit well. Being Jewish would not be a problem.

Now, if you think everyone in NWA works for either of those companies, you obviously have no idea what NWA is all about. Of course there are a lot of people working for them, thank God these people have jobs and can support their families, but many people living here do not work or either. Because of your dislike for WalMart and Tyson's I guess you prefer the companies to go belly up and the employees to depend on the government to support them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:22 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,988,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let's just say your negative attitude about the 2 biggest industries in our region, 2 of the largest in the world would not sit well. Being Jewish would not be a problem.

Now, if you think everyone in NWA works for either of those companies, you obviously have no idea what NWA is all about. Of course there are a lot of people working for them, thank God these people have jobs and can support their families, but many people living here do not work or either. Because of your dislike for WalMart and Tyson's I guess you prefer the companies to go belly up and the employees to depend on the government to support them?
Many people dislike Walmart because the specialty stores cannot compete due to economy of scale, and it kills hardware stores, etc. where people used to go for expert advice etc. and tools that that advice pertains to vs. the "Well, here are all we have...." that you get when you ask a wal-mart employee in hardware about something, typically. Then, there are the economic aspects about Wal-Mart crushing family businesses, etc. which sets poorly with many. Wal-Mart also has a reputation for treating its employees horribly where I live. I hope in NWA they do better, but here, they are pretty rough.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM
ZTM

57 posts, read 94,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Many people dislike Walmart because the specialty stores cannot compete due to economy of scale, and it kills hardware stores, etc. where people used to go for expert advice etc. and tools that that advice pertains to vs. the "Well, here are all we have...." that you get when you ask a wal-mart employee in hardware about something, typically. Then, there are the economic aspects about Wal-Mart crushing family businesses, etc. which sets poorly with many. Wal-Mart also has a reputation for treating its employees horribly where I live. I hope in NWA they do better, but here, they are pretty rough.
EXACTLY!! Walmart greed has put lots of companies out of business and most of what they sell is junk from China. So no, I don't like them at all. I also don't support a company which kills helpless animals and tortures them

Old 11-13-2014, 11:36 AM
ZTM

57 posts, read 94,354 times
Quote:

Because of your dislike for WalMart and Tyson's I guess you prefer the companies to go belly up and the employees to depend on the government to support them?
That's a ridiculous conclusion regarding my dislike for these companies

Old 11-13-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
some of what you say is very true or certainly true, but how many people have you known that have worked for WalMart and I don't mean in the headquarters> I know a lot; many are lucky
walMart hired them because for the most part they were not too hirable anywhere else and no, they do not treat their employees poorly. They do not pay well but they do not mistreat in anyway. They also do so much for charity. The Walton family is one of the number one charity giving families in the country. The part about putting small businesses out of business, in some cases that is true. Can you explain how you know they treat their employees poorly?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTM View Post
EXACTLY!! Walmart greed has put lots of companies out of business and most of what they sell is junk from China. So no, I don't like them at all. I also don't support a company which kills helpless animals and tortures them
So what you are saying is you are a vegetarian or a vegan? That is fine, but for many they enjoy eating meat, so don't blame the companies that sell the products...I know too many who work for Tyson's to know they are not a bad company. In fact they are a very good company.

Again, if the two companies were out of business where do you think the millions who work for them would find employment? You don't seem to have an answer.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
some of what you say is very true or certainly true, but how many people have you known that have worked for WalMart and I don't mean in the headquarters> I know a lot; many are lucky
walMart hired them because for the most part they were not too hirable anywhere else and no, they do not treat their employees poorly. They do not pay well but they do not mistreat in anyway. They also do so much for charity. The Walton family is one of the number one charity giving families in the country. The part about putting small businesses out of business, in some cases that is true. Can you explain how you know they treat their employees poorly?
I know several managers as well as their kids (college age) who worked for Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart wouldn't even hire me when I applied because I had no job experience prior and could not get past that screen on their electronic resume builder deal.

The managers I knew were ran ragged and understaffed, and the "regular" employees I knew had crazy schedules that always changed and left them sleepless many times before tests/during finals, etc.

All in all, it seemed way worse than waiting tables for a college job, and the managers didn't get any rest, either.

Now, my friends wives both work for Home Office and they love it and are treated great from all I can tell. So maybe you're isolated living there? Your wal-marts are nice. Ours are dumps. Part of that is due to the people where I live, but around here, Wal-Mart is a dirty place people with any money at all avoid because we don't like being bothered by bums or shot in the parkinglot, etc. and only 2-3 registers open with a mile-long line is ridiculous. Understaffed, dirty, etc. all describe the stores here.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I know several managers as well as their kids (college age) who worked for Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart wouldn't even hire me when I applied because I had no job experience prior and could not get past that screen on their electronic resume builder deal.

The managers I knew were ran ragged and understaffed, and the "regular" employees I knew had crazy schedules that always changed and left them sleepless many times before tests/during finals, etc.

All in all, it seemed way worse than waiting tables for a college job, and the managers didn't get any rest, either.

Now, my friends wives both work for Home Office and they love it and are treated great from all I can tell. So maybe you're isolated living there? Your wal-marts are nice. Ours are dumps. Part of that is due to the people where I live, but around here, Wal-Mart is a dirty place people with any money at all avoid because we don't like being bothered by bums or shot in the parkinglot, etc. and only 2-3 registers open with a mile-long line is ridiculous. Understaffed, dirty, etc. all describe the stores here.
It does sound like you have witnessed the worst. I do know they work their employees hard even in the WalMart center but they are paid very well (home office that is) I have never heard anyone complain about being overworked in the retail end. I have heard they work crazy hours, that is often the retail business especially with stores open 24/7. As far as not getting hired because you had no experience, I guess that would upset me as well, but I understand both sides of the story. I guess it is just a matter of personal experience.

Working tables at a restaurant is how my kids and grandkids helped pay for college. Most of our friends kids did the same. That is part of the growing up experience. I was a car hop 2 summers while in college.

You are right, our WalMarts are, for the most part very nice but we have lived in a lot of places, like NM where they were not so nice, same with many small towns across the country. The ones in the Dallas area are also very clean. It does depend on the demand and the expectations of those that shop there, plus, of course you are going to get more low income shoppers, it is a discount center, don't forget that. People without a lot of funds have to shop as well or those who like to watch their budget.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
It does sound like you have witnessed the worst. I do know they work their employees hard even in the WalMart center but they are paid very well (home office that is) I have never heard anyone complain about being overworked in the retail end. I have heard they work crazy hours, that is often the retail business especially with stores open 24/7. As far as not getting hired because you had no experience, I guess that would upset me as well, but I understand both sides of the story. I guess it is just a matter of personal experience. I'm not mad about it, I'm just saying a kid who graduated with a 3.8X cumulative GPA from highschool and was headed for a free ride in college couldn't get a job because of the automated hire proceedure. It was kindof lame. It did lead me to better jobs that prepared me for life more than managing a cash wrap, though, so no, not mad at all, just surprised about your post on how they provide people jobs who "otherwise can't get jobs". Nah...that's the food industry, to be honest. You want to see that, go in any kitchen in any chain restaurant in America, and you will probably find felons being given "last chances".

Working tables at a restaurant is how my kids and grandkids helped pay for college. Most of our friends kids did the same. That is part of the growing up experience. I was a car hop 2 summers while in college. I think it pays better and has better hours than WalMart, personally.

You are right, our WalMarts are, for the most part very nice but we have lived in a lot of places, like NM where they were not so nice, same with many small towns across the country. The ones in the Dallas area are also very clean. It does depend on the demand and the expectations of those that shop there, plus, of course you are going to get more low income shoppers, it is a discount center, don't forget that. People without a lot of funds have to shop as well or those who like to watch their budget.
Yes, I agree that the population seems to dictate the condition of a WalMart. I live in a dump of a town right now, and our walmarts are dumps, but our Targets are very nice stores.

I have not lived in NWA, but I have observed NWA on my various visits, and there is a lot of animosity towards wal-mart up there. The wal-marts are nice, but they are trying to kill every form of competition off. They are going after Dollar General. They are going after your neighborhood grocery stores. They are going after EVERYONE by making a comparable product (Neighborhood centers. etc.) and running it under the corporate economy of scale. In turn, you are going to lose some utility if they succeed. I dislike the naming of their imposter stores various things in an attempt to distance them from "Wal-Mart" while at the same time trying to muscle out the stores they are impersonating. It just seems dirty, and I can tell you right now it is going to hurt if they "win".

How would you like it if there were no private or small restaurants? Only Brinker, Taco Bell, and a few other chains? No dive bars. Just alcohol dispensing stations owned by one chain? I view it as the same, and I don't like it.

Now, do "I hate wal-mart"? No. But I don't have to like everything about how they are, either. How they make their employees/vendors stay away from each other, the crazy infighting and politics at home office, etc. etc. etc.

Overall, though, to an outsider, I view Wal-Mart's presence as a positive for the NWA area. They are a MASSIVE factor in keeping the region stable during economic down turns.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree that the population seems to dictate the condition of a WalMart. I live in a dump of a town right now, and our walmarts are dumps, but our Targets are very nice stores.

I have not lived in NWA, but I have observed NWA on my various visits, and there is a lot of animosity towards wal-mart up there. The wal-marts are nice, but they are trying to kill every form of competition off. They are going after Dollar General. They are going after your neighborhood grocery stores. They are going after EVERYONE by making a comparable product (Neighborhood centers. etc.) and running it under the corporate economy of scale. In turn, you are going to lose some utility if they succeed. I dislike the naming of their imposter stores various things in an attempt to distance them from "Wal-Mart" while at the same time trying to muscle out the stores they are impersonating. It just seems dirty, and I can tell you right now it is going to hurt if they "win".

How would you like it if there were no private or small restaurants? Only Brinker, Taco Bell, and a few other chains? No dive bars. Just alcohol dispensing stations owned by one chain? I view it as the same, and I don't like it.

Now, do "I hate wal-mart"? No. But I don't have to like everything about how they are, either. How they make their employees/vendors stay away from each other, the crazy infighting and politics at home office, etc. etc. etc.

Overall, though, to an outsider, I view Wal-Mart's presence as a positive for the NWA area. They are a MASSIVE factor in keeping the region stable during economic down turns.
I don't question some of what you say, but some I do. Yes, they are putting some mom and pop places out of business, but so does Lowe's, Home depot, Walgreens, etc. This is business whether we like it or not. Luckily in BV we have a couple of nice, small grocery stores, one is Harps which is a small chain and they do not suffer from WalMart one bit; they draw a different cut of customers, the same with Allens another small store. WalMart did attempt to buy land across the street from Allen's, the city stepped in. You see small stores struggling all the time because of the big guys coming in. This has gone on for as long I can remember and that is a long time. I think there is a place for both, but mom and pop places, whether grocery, hand ware, restaurants, or whatever have to offer a good product with good service and be in a good location.

BTW, please don't get me wrong, I am not a huge WalMart supporter or shopper. I do use them from time to time, I also use $ General and here in our area neither is coming close to putting the other out of business. Again, they are used in different ways. One is all around shopping, the other is run in and run out shopping. I do see a need for both kinds of stores and I understand those who do all their buying at WalMart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers