Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 12:29 PM

1,719 posts, read 732,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvs View Post
The 'cancel culture' folks finally got their way, the statue is gone. Pretty much all 'southern' civil war related statues will be gone soon, in every city and every town.
What's next? The Statue of Liberty? The Washington Monument? Might as well destroy Mt. Rushmore and any other semblance of American history while we are at it.. maybe then we can all live in that magical world where everyone is truly equal, history is erased, everything is free, and all of our energy comes from bottled rainbows and unicorn farts.

https://www.4029tv.com/article/bento...oving/33866567
The U.S. Capitol Building, the White House, Arlington House, and numerous other national buildings were built largely by enslaved Africans.

It would be a terrible slap in the face to those poor enslaved souls to tear down those buildings because they were built by slaves. Why erase their labor, history, and very existence?

There is no ground zero for history. Every civilization has brutalized others. Let's remember what happened in the past, to honor and empathize with those people who endured such hardships and to make sure we don't commit such atrocities again.

Confederate statues are a touchy subject. Perhaps these statues should be put into museums, where they can be viewed as historical artifacts, however odious, of a past culture, rather than out on town squares, where they seem to continue to glorify that culture.

Seeing the statue of Francisco Pizarro in Lima was kind of strange. I know he founded the modern-day city, but still ...

Last edited by Bentonite; 05-08-2022 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Added words

Old 05-08-2022, 04:56 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
The U.S. Capitol Building, the White House, Arlington House, and numerous other national buildings were built largely by enslaved Africans.

It would be a terrible slap in the face to those poor enslaved souls to tear down those buildings because they were built by slaves. Why erase their labor, history, and very existence?

There is no ground zero for history. Every civilization has brutalized others. Let's remember what happened in the past, to honor and empathize with those people who endured such hardships and to make sure we don't commit such atrocities again.

Confederate statues are a touchy subject. Perhaps these statues should be put into museums, where they can be viewed as historical artifacts, however odious, of a past culture, rather than out on town squares, where they seem to continue to glorify that culture.
I don't think anybody is asking to tear down the White House or anything like that.

And I hate to side with someone who is to obtuse to understand the difference between a Holocaust memorial and a statue of a confederate general astride a great steed...

But one thing that troubles me about the removal of the monuments like the one in Bentonville is the fact that the statues are memorials to their dead family members. I would assume that by the early 1900s when these statues went up there were also a lot of surviving vets who were dying of old age and infirmity. This may have been part of the motivation to remember those who died in the actual war.

There is some sentiment that these statues were put up as an "in your face" to Black people, but I don't see this as necessarily people's intent when they were erected. I get that the southerners who erected them were hostile to both Blacks and Yankees but I feel that they truly wanted to honor their dead friends and family more than any kind of act of defiance.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:58 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Same talking points and parroting one can hear nightly on MSNBC and CNN. Keep America divided.
Sorry the truth is difficult for you to handle. You need to at least know a thing or two about Civil War history to have an informed opinion on this. If you havent at least read the secession statements, then you arent qualified to weigh in on this issue.

History isnt a talking point and you dont get to whitewash it to make yourself feel better.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:32 PM

425 posts, read 507,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
And I hate to side with someone who is to obtuse to understand the difference between a Holocaust memorial and a statue of a confederate general
Now that was an obtuse statement. I was responding to someone who said statues seeks to “glorify”. My point was a holocaust statue (for example) does not glorify, rather seeks to serve as a memorial. A little harsh comparison, but true nonetheless.

And to your point, I too feel a lot of Civil War statues were erected as memorials.

Old 05-08-2022, 07:26 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Sorry the truth is difficult for you to handle. You need to at least know a thing or two about Civil War history to have an informed opinion on this. If you havent at least read the secession statements, then you arent qualified to weigh in on this issue.

History isnt a talking point and you dont get to whitewash it to make yourself feel better.
History isn't the domain of someone walking into a conversation and declaring themselves the Ministry of Truth, either. You aren't the White House, and you don't get to tell us what we are qualified to talk about.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:08 PM

425 posts, read 507,421 times
Quote:

Your “truth” and reality are two different things. “Secession statements”, really? Do you even know what you are talking about, or are you tossing out something hoping it sticks?

I was born and raised in North GA and Chattanooga TN, the heart of the Civil War. I’ve studied the Civil War, read many books and written papers on the Civil War. I’ve never disputed why the Civil War happened, nor have I ever agreed with why the South succeeded. My argument is predicated on liberals doing everything they can to keep America divided. Statues today.. something else tomorrow.

History is in fact a “talking point” for the liberals. “Whitewash”? Haha. Define that for me, please.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Your “truth” and reality are two different things. “Secession statements”, really? Do you even know what you are talking about, or are you tossing out something hoping it sticks?

I was born and raised in North GA and Chattanooga TN, the heart of the Civil War. I’ve studied the Civil War, read many books and written papers on the Civil War. I’ve never disputed why the Civil War happened, nor have I ever agreed with why the South succeeded. My argument is predicated on liberals doing everything they can to keep America divided. Statues today.. something else tomorrow.

History is in fact a “talking point” for the liberals. “Whitewash”? Haha. Define that for me, please.
History is a talking point? How the hell can something that actually happened being discussed be a talking point. Whitewashing history is to make it seem like what happened was inconsequential (which is where the book bans are coming from). Weve done some great things in this country and weve ROYALLY screwed up as well. We should talk about all of that and not pretend the later didnt happen.

Riddle me this, who in your mind is trying to unite America? The mindset youre coming with is not one for unification so it isnt that. Conservatives and liberals alike don't give a flying **** about uniting America. They just want their side to get a leg up on the other. An alien invasion couldn't unite us.

And no, we shouldnt have statues that glorify a group of people who fought to tear this nation apart for the privilege of being able to own other people. You want to learn about them? Read a book. You want to mourn them? Do it at their grave.

And yeah Ive read the secession statements. They arent hard to find:

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/p...eceding-states

PS: If a person ever displays or wears a confederate flag, they dont EVER get to claim they love this country because their displayed loyalty is to a group that tried to tear it apart. Im not saying you do that, but its a general statement.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 05-09-2022 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-09-2022, 10:52 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Riddle me this, who in your mind is trying to unite America? ... Conservatives and liberals alike don't give a flying **** about uniting America. ...
I used to want to unite America. But that was when we actually had a lot of liberals. Today, there are not many liberals, and the ones we have are called conservatives. The Left today is the Left. Not liberal: they are Marxist. They are politically irredeemable, unless God turns their heart away from evil.

Quote:
PS: If a person ever displays or wears a confederate flag, they dont EVER get to claim they love this country because their displayed loyalty is to a group that tried to tear it apart. Im not saying you do that, but its a general statement.
I wouldn't say that about the confederate flag, but I would say that about wearing BLM (or Obama, Hillary, Che, ISIS, MS13 or Antifa, or any other felonious loyalty symbol) paraphernalia. The damage done by the elitists of 150 years ago may be lost on some people, the damage done by today's Marxists is plain to see for anyone who isn't brainwashed by them.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:04 AM

1,224 posts, read 518,407 times
I thought confederates were yesterdays news. I believe some have moved on to removing Washington, Jefferson, and even Lincoln.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

I wouldn't say that about the confederate flag, but I would say that about wearing BLM (or Obama, Hillary, Che, ISIS, MS13 or Antifa, or any other felonious loyalty symbol) paraphernalia. The damage done by the elitists of 150 years ago may be lost on some people, the damage done by today's Marxists is plain to see for anyone who isn't brainwashed by them.
Of course you wouldn't. You obviously identify very strongly with the confederate history and way of life and have disdain those who feel differently than you do. But the fact remains that it was the people who marched under those flags that actively tried to tear the nation apart. They didnt simply feel different, they didnt riot, they didnt, scream and shout, they actually left the US for the purpose of being able to own other people. The two arent comparable.

Youre simply listing people and groups of people you hate and labeling them traitors. The groups youre listing are diverse. Some are detestable, some are politicians you hate, and some arent relevant. Ill ask you the same question I asked the OP? Who to you is a unifier in this country? Who is truly trying to bring people together?

The more things change, the more the stay the same.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 05-09-2022 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers