Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 PM

481 posts, read 943,210 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm relocating from Miami, FL. to Rogers pretty soon and I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the area, particularly the elementary schools. We have visited once and we are going up to look at some houses a few weeks before we actually move, so we kind of have a good idea of the town. However, I was trying to get a feel for the schools so I could try and narrow down the area in which to look for housing based on that.

I also have been a little worried about how the community embraces (or doesn't) their Jewish neighbors. The one thing I couldn't help but notice was the amount of beautiful churches in each of the towns but, I did not see one synagogue. I was a little concerned about that, I have to admit. Does anyone know of any temples in the area?

I would love any information and any tidbits that only those who have lived there are privy to. Thanks again so much.

Lana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 06:18 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
There is an impromptu synagogue in Fayetteville. They were on the verge of buying and renovating an historic property about 4 years ago but the immediate neighbors didn't want the traffic flow especially since there wouldn't be room for anything but on-street parking. I'm not sure where they meet to worship these days but there's no problems with being Jewish in NWA.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:10 AM

481 posts, read 943,210 times
I had read something about that on a website a while ago. Thanks for the information. If I remember correctly, Fayetville was only about 15 minutes away so that might be OK. Thanks again.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 AM

697 posts, read 3,020,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I also have been a little worried about how the community embraces (or doesn't) their Jewish neighbors. The one thing I couldn't help but notice was the amount of beautiful churches in each of the towns but, I did not see one synagogue. I was a little concerned about that, I have to admit. Does anyone know of any temples in the area?
Northwest Arkansas is very much a place of newcomers these days, with people from all over the country and the world. There are more Jews than ever in NWA now, but for the most part they haven't been there long enough to have established institutions and built buildings. That's happening now though -- there are actually at least three Jewish religious institutions in the Washington and Benton counties: Temple Shalom (http://www.uark.edu/ua/pungar/shalom/ - broken link) in Fayetteville, Congregation Etz Chaim in Bentonville, and Chabad of Northwest Arkansas in Rogers (you sort of knew when I said "growing Jewish community" that Chabad would be in the mix somewhere, right? ).

Temple Shalom has been around since the early 1980s, but has only recently reached a level to allow it to purchase land and begin construction of its own facility (http://www.atempleofpeace.com - broken link) (it has met in a building leased from the University of Arkansas for most of its existence, with larger events held at the nearly Unitarian Universalist facility). The building effort drew international attention when a Springdale contractor, a Muslim of Palestinian origin, offered to donate his services to help build the building: news 03 August 9th, 2007 · Fayetteville Free Weekly (http://www.atempleofpeace.com/news_03.html - broken link).

Etz Chaim is much newer, but growing rapidly. Founded in 2004, they purchased a small church building at Moberly and Central in Bentonville in 2005.

The main focus of the Chabad seems to be on organizing and coordinating Minyanim among the many Jewish visitors to the area (especially vendors for WalMart, etc).

As for the attitude toward Jews, it'll mainly be benign indifference among most of the other newcomers -- they'll have their own concerns with settling and fitting in and won't be too worried about others. As for the natives, you'll encounter some misconceptions based on ignorance or stereotypes/negative myths handed down by prior generations, but very little or no deep-seated hostility. The odds are good that most NWA natives had never knowingly met anyone Jewish until very recently. There's a pretty much unquestioned assumption among most people in the area that everyone's Christian -- because that's been true for most of them for most of their lives. So you'll get people who'll say or do things that aren't intended to be insensitive simply because they're not accustomed to thinking about anyone being Jewish. School functions and the like will get scheduled for the high holidays, that sort of thing. But in my experience people are willing and even eager to understand Jewish religion and culture -- they've just never had the chance before.

I have a sort of personal barometer for this stuff, as I lived in Fayetteville from 1976 to 1981 (most of my Jr. High and High School years) and my parents have been in Rogers since 1986. My family on both sides has been in rural parts of Arkansas for several generations. I converted to Judaism in 1995 after being raised Methodist. My parents, who're very much a product of rural Arkansas culture themselves and are very involved in their church, have nonetheless never been anything but accepting of my decision to embrace Judaism.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I think you are going to be just fine as the poster above has pointed out. Yes, you will always get somet that either can't accept anything other than christiananity or do not want to. This is life as I am sure you realize. I think part of acceptance regardless of why we need it has to do with our attitudes as much as others. If you and your family make an appept to fit in while still observing your culture things should be fine. We have a man in our bridge group (in his late 80s) who is Jewish. Here in our community there are no Jews and yet, Irv has no problems. Everyone accepts him, loves him and respects his religion and traditions.

Our son in law is Jewish but our granddauthers not. The younger girl (just graduated from AR) decided to investigate the religion. Although she did decide it wasn'st for her, she did meet a few times with the rabi at the University. So, there are jewish students and families in Fayetteville.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:46 PM

93 posts, read 417,932 times
If you want any specifics on Rogers, I live here and be glad to assist. Send me an e-mail or Private message.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:49 AM

90 posts, read 352,919 times
Hey, I moved from Miami! Welcome to the USA! I have been here over 2 years now and I love it. Nice people and nice weather. I lived in Rogers for most of the first two years and it has its good parts and bad parts. The pinnacle hills section is coming out great. We have a nice new mall and more coming. My friend, who used to live in Miami, just moved to Rogers and he loves it too. His kids are going to school in the area and they like it so far. Glad to see other Miamians making the big move. Best thing I ever did.

Good Luck and private mesg me if you need anything.

Sergio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers