Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 11:00 AM

130 posts, read 503,633 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased an original oil on canvas painting by Konstantin Stoitzner. I was told that the painting was purchased in Vienna in the 1920s. I have searched the internet to see if I can find the name of the painting or details about it but have come up short. It appears to be of the Austria alps - a giant snow covered mountain in the background with landscape in the front. A small residence is also located in the center-right side of the painting. It is huge, probably 3.5' x 2.5'. Any information on Stoitzner or the possible painting in hand? I can upload a picture later on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 AM

Here is a picture of it:

Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 PM

18,405 posts, read 19,042,623 times
is it signed? it needs to be authenticated if you think it is an original. a quick google search of his name shows lots of paintings and info as does google images.
Konstantin Stoitzner Biography, Works of Art, Auction Results | Invaluable

Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 PM

It is signed on the bottom left hand corner. Where would I go about getting it authenticated, and does this cost? I am having a hard time finding information on the artist as it seems that most of the work has stayed in Austria.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
It is signed on the bottom left hand corner. Where would I go about getting it authenticated, and does this cost? I am having a hard time finding information on the artist as it seems that most of the work has stayed in Austria.
well you may have lucked out and found an original. the only way you will know is having it looked at by someone in the know. yes it does cost but if you have a painting worth oodles then a fee of a few hundred would not be too much to pay. just like on antiques road show you have to have provenance. can you get anymore info from the seller?

from an untrained eye all the images on google seem to be either florals or portraits. there was a landscape or two several pages into the search that did look like your painting. so it truly is possible that it is an original. sometimes painters are better known for their work in a certain style like florals. the floral paintings become what is most desirable vs the other types even painted by the same person. so a flower paint will be worth lots more than any other by the same artist. on the other hand since it seems from a quick look he didn't do many landscapes perhaps it is more rare and worth even more. all the speculation is why you need an expert. they will also tell you if the painting needs to be cleaned and all that.

from memory either Christie's or Sotherby's auctions has an on line evaluation. I would think there are lots of folks on line evaluating too. so make sure you are hooked up with an evaluator that has much knowledge in fine art painting and in this artist if possible. a phone call or an email to a reputable appraiser would be very helpful. I would bet there is one in every major city. you could also call the head of the fine arts dept of any major museum who should be able to steer you in the right direction. maybe even a call to antique roadshow.

I would look up every know painting they have on the net and compare signatures and where he signed them most often. does the signature look the same? look at the paintings and see if you can spot strokes that are similar, color usage. like handwriting samples you should be able to see his style in other works. perhaps he painted the cottages the same way. find as many similarities as you can find. he sure looks pretty prolific. how fun a mystery. hope it turns out to worth a bundle

Paintings Appraisals | Value My Stuff

Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM

and a place that will buy it and auction it for you.
Konstantin (Constantin) Stoitzner art dealer buys Konstantin (Constantin) Stoitzner paintings pays immediate cash. Learn why smart collectors buy and sell Konstantin (Constantin) Stoitzner art with Royalton Arts, the trusted Konstantin (Constantin) S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts