Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,344 times

Advertisements

I've had my tank for about a month and a half now. I've got three Danio's in there and one seems to constantly harass the other two. Obviously, it's the bigger one that's doing the harassing. During feeding time, it's almost as if the other two swim at the bottom and try to pick a perfect time to come up for food without having the bigger Danio go after them. Sometimes they manage, but other times they get chased when trying to come up for food. To me it appears as it's most than fish simply playing. Is this normal behavior in this type of fish? Will it improve once the tank is fully cycled? Will getting more Danio's calm the bullies behavior or will I likely need to get rid of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 01:00 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
What size tank is it ? What else is in there ? Is there plants, rocks, hiding spaces.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:16 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
What size tank is it ? What else is in there ? Is there plants, rocks, hiding spaces.
It's a 20 gallon tank. As for fish, those are all I've got since I'm still cycling. I've got artificial plants, a bridge and a rock hiding area. Since it's only 20 gallons, there's not a lot of room to throw things in there.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:57 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Zebra fish tend to be kind of aggressive. I know this thread is a couple of weeks old but adding more fish might help. Danios like to be in schools and you really should have at least 5 of them.

I do have one fish that does not get enough to eat unless I catch her and fed her away from the others in my tank. She has gotten quite used to the process and voluntarily swims right into the cup I use to confine her at dinner time.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
danios can be mean...but yes I agree, more will generally better distribute the aggression and help calm it down, I never go less than 5 and more is always best if its doable...
they are great little fish, super hardy and fun to watch but generally the more active the fish, the more "nippy" they can be...

ive found the same true of barbs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish