Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 65,237 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Arizona to be near family in Phoenix. I want to be near Phoenix but not too near. I researched Cottonwood and it seems to be the kind of town I would like to live. I have two children and I am looking for a section 8 apartment or house in town. What I need to know is How often do you see venomous creatures such as Scorpions, Snakes etc.? Also is there many Section 8 homes in Cottonwood? Is there a good public bus line in Cottonwood? Is there many pet friendly homes in Cottonwood? Is there many Homeschoolers in Cottonwood? Answers to any of these questions and any other pros and cons about Cottonwood would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 PM

455 posts, read 1,498,961 times
I hope to move to Cottonwood myself in a few months, just have to sell my house here in Yuma first. My in-laws moved to CW from Flagstaff in '84, so I have been there a lot.
I've never seen anything venomous or poisonus up there, but I am sure they exist, this is AZ.
No public bus line that I am aware of, but I believe they have a shuttle that runs to certain parts of town.
The pros in my mind: short hop to Prescott, Flag or Phx, decent Medical facilities. Cons: It looks a little run down/seedy in some areas, but all places are like that.
I think it is a nice little town, and I'm looking forward to living there.

Curly

Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,637 times
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can give you some thought on the wildlife.

Cottonwood is the High Desert. You will see snakes, scorpions, spiders, coyotes, mountain lions, ect ect ect. Don't let all that deter you though. Your chances of seeing anything other than the occasional snake, a few scorpions and spiders are very slim. Unless you are the outdoorsy type, you should be ok.

Where are you moving from?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBoundFamily View Post
I am moving to Arizona to be near family in Phoenix. I want to be near Phoenix but not too near. I researched Cottonwood and it seems to be the kind of town I would like to live. I have two children and I am looking for a section 8 apartment or house in town. What I need to know is How often do you see venomous creatures such as Scorpions, Snakes etc.? Also is there many Section 8 homes in Cottonwood? Is there a good public bus line in Cottonwood? Is there many pet friendly homes in Cottonwood? Is there many Homeschoolers in Cottonwood? Answers to any of these questions and any other pros and cons about Cottonwood would be great. Thanks!
I can't answer ALL your questions but I've lived in Cottonwood, off and on, my entire life and I'm 68 so maybe I can help a little.

Section 8 housing I don't know much about except that there ARE some available. We also have apt. complexes that are very reasonable, have plenty of kids and allow pets. Most places allow pets but you may have to pay a pet deposit, etc.. To get good answers you might want to contact the DES/welfare office here in town.

Venomous creatures in town are very rare. Maybe along the river and most definitely in the foothills. I haven't seen a snake, scorpion or centipede in years and years...except in the foothills.

Homeschoolers are everywhere but I don't know any personally here in town. My daughter has homeschooled my grandaughter for the past nine years but she doesn't live in town here.

We don't have a bus line like a big city would have but we DO have one. We have regular bus stops and I'm sure you could get a schedule from the company.

I think Cottonwood is a great place to live. It's not that big but has enough conveniences to satisfy most people but not big enough to be a miserable place to live. If you really need more it's just a short hop, skip and jump to Flagstaff or Prescott. We are in a 'green belt' so lots and lots of green, plus the river, parks and TONS of things to do and see. If you like to garden, this is a perfect place for it. Also, we are at the base of Mingus Mtn. so if the heat bugs you it's just a short drive to the cool pines. In winter you can sometimes go play in the snow too. I think the Verde Valley, in general, is a great place to live and raise kids. Our crime rate is low, mostly DUIs and domestic stuff, no gangs etc..

Hope I've helped a little!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 66,694 times
I too was considering moving back to Arizona. My st-daughter lives in Flagstaff and my wife is from there. I used to live in Sedona. I would prefer the Cottonwood and Cornville area. What are the jobs like in that area?
--ray--

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf636 View Post
I too was considering moving back to Arizona. My st-daughter lives in Flagstaff and my wife is from there. I used to live in Sedona. I would prefer the Cottonwood and Cornville area. What are the jobs like in that area?
--ray--
That would likely depend on what kind of work you do. There are, of course, the utility companies, plenty of jobs working in the hospitality area and retail. What would you be looking for?

The Verde Valley is a great area to live in.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 66,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That would likely depend on what kind of work you do. There are, of course, the utility companies, plenty of jobs working in the hospitality area and retail. What would you be looking for?

The Verde Valley is a great area to live in.
Prior to my college I was a welder. I have almost four years of schooling in the computer science area but I never finished. I have experience in Autocad drawing and Solidworks 3d engineering along with computer networking, inventory. The only thing I have against me really is my age: 54.

Thanks for the reply.

--ray--

Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,336 times
Not as pretty (or cool) but Anthem is a bedroom community outside (north) of Phoenix-far away but not too far away. I would guess housing availability would be greater.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 65,237 times
Hi, We are looking for a place to rent in Cottonwood now, and I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of neighborhood was around E Coconino St??? Thanks!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 PM

31 posts, read 130,863 times
Default Old Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBoundFamily View Post
Hi, We are looking for a place to rent in Cottonwood now, and I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of neighborhood was around E Coconino St??? Thanks!
Well, that is the northern part of Old Town Cottonwood. It has pretty old houses and mobiles unless there has been some new development I don't know about. It is also the more agricultural area of Old Town so there are larger lots and some people have some great big gardens in that neighborhood. There has been some renewal in the commercial part and it's kind of artsy. Some old hippies live around there and large hispanic families. A friend of mine rented an old house in that neighborhood and one day when she was at work the plumbing ruptured and flooded the whole house. She lost pretty much all of her furniture and some personal items. So if it's an older house it would be wise to look it over real good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona