Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM

26 posts, read 88,941 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Myself, wife, 2 year old, and 4 animals are looking to relocate to AZ. We are in our 30s and have a ways to go before retirement. I have researched enough about where to live that I think my eyeballs might fall out but I am still on the edge of where to go. However my wife is in medical sales and has many opportunities in the Flagstaff area. Now she doesn't mind flagstaff, but neither of us want the harsher winters (relocating from Raleigh, NC). We are pretty down to earth people that are middle of the road when it comes to politics but we really want to move to a place that will be right for our daugher (thinking ahead to middle and high school). It seems that she will most likely get a job in Flag and will commute. My question is, which would be a better place to live...Sedona or Cottonwood-Verde Valley? My biggest concerns are the following

1) Travel Time to flag (yes I google mapped, but I need more realistic drive times) an hour 1 way seems a bit much for my wife. I telecommute so no worries there!
2) Hot summers - I couldn't stand the hot summers in Raleigh (too humid when its 100-105 with 85% humidity for weeks on end)
3) Raising a child - We need day care, and stuff for kids to do
4) Land for the dogs to at least do their business and run a little

In Raleigh we have a .2 acre lot, how hard is that to to get without paying through the nose?

Seems Cottonwood is better for little kids but has a longer drive time according to Google maps.

Which would you all choose?? Thanks a ton in advance

PS - together we make about 120K and can afford a mortgage of $1400/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 PM

456 posts, read 1,499,896 times
An hour to Flag from Cottonwood doesn't sound right, more like 75-90 min. depending on where you live. Don't forget there will be winter weather that will change the length of the commute.
It is going to come down to personal choice of course, but I think you will find that Cottonwood has more to offer, especially for your daughter. You will also have a better choice of land at lower prices. It does get hot in the VV, it was 103 or so here today, but it is definetely not as humid. Sedona is a few degrees cooler, but it still gets warm there. I used to live in the desert, so this doesn't seem bad at all to me.

Curly

Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,460,342 times
The weather in Cottonwood and Sedona will be much better than out east. It will be around the same temps but without the humidity.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
An hour to Flag from Cottonwood doesn't sound right, more like 75-90 min. depending on where you live. Don't forget there will be winter weather that will change the length of the commute.
It is going to come down to personal choice of course, but I think you will find that Cottonwood has more to offer, especially for your daughter. You will also have a better choice of land at lower prices. It does get hot in the VV, it was 103 or so here today, but it is definetely not as humid. Sedona is a few degrees cooler, but it still gets warm there. I used to live in the desert, so this doesn't seem bad at all to me.

Curly
Thanks! I thought Cottonwood seemed further than what google maps was telling me. I can handle heat, but its really more the humidity that drives me nuts. I hate walking outside and its so soupy out my close stick to me instantly. I'll take 105 dry vs. 105 with 85% humidity any day!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,990,673 times
Your monthly living allowance might be difficult in Sedona.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Your monthly living allowance might be difficult in Sedona.
What makes sedona so expensive other than housing?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
> What makes sedona so expensive other than housing?

I think housing is about the ONLY thing that will be significantly different in price. However keep in mind that Sedona is a small town and you may be driving for shopping, and gas can add up.

As for the commute- I don't think it would take me much more than an hour to get to Flagstaff from Cottonwood in normal weather. In winter weather...I wouldn't want to think about commuting every day up Oak Creek Canyon. The preferred winter route from Cottonwood would probably be 260 to 17...that's a good bit longer but easy driving.

I wouldn't want to do it every day.

Last edited by rational1; 08-09-2012 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: add adverb

Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM

456 posts, read 1,499,896 times
If I lived in Sedona, I'd take 179 to I-17. Has to be quicker, less tourists and no hair pin turns. Just not as scenic.

Curly

Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM

So it seems that the only real options my wife has if she wants a commute that is less than an hour is to live in Flagstaff then? It seems my trade off for cottonwood vs. sedona would be that houses are a lot cheaper than flagstaff, but I would make that difference up in gas and commuting frustrations. What happens when they close the routes into flag from storms and such?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
If I lived in Sedona, I'd take 179 to I-17. Has to be quicker, less tourists and no hair pin turns. Just not as scenic.

Curly
That route would be through VOC correct? I was wondering about that place. It seems like its a bedroom community but has all the amenities of someone would need (ie - grocery store, golf?, parks for kids, etc...)

PS - You all rock for answering my questions I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona