Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:27 PM

26 posts, read 88,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostone1413 View Post
White Trash LOL Flag is liberal land of Arizona Every time I've been in Flag it was like going back to the 60s All the old timers I know from Flag always say how the liberal Ca people moving in have ruined the city they where born in
What do they say specifically how they ruined the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,072,580 times
Quote:
White Trash LOL Flag is liberal land of Arizona Every time I've been in Flag it was like going back to the 60s All the old timers I know from Flag always say how the liberal Ca people moving in have ruined the city they where born in
I understand your concern, but there's a big, BIG difference between downtown Flag and Doney Park.....

and not all Cali transplants are liberal!!...just go look around Prescott!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 PM

43 posts, read 105,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgleason2003 View Post
What do they say specifically how they ruined the city?
Mostly the way liberals ruin everything. From the old timers I know in Flag the libs cry about the off road riding allot of places they for the most part are anti gun If your from AZ you should know what I mean

azdr0710 maybe not all from Ca are liberals and anti gun but you can bet the farm the majority are

Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Mostly the way liberals ruin everything. From the old timers I know in Flag the libs cry about the off road riding allot of places they for the most part are anti gun If your from AZ you should know what I mean

azdr0710 maybe not all from Ca are liberals and anti gun but you can bet the farm the majority are
Well, off roading can ruin the natural landscape if they aren't careful. I know here in NC I see tracks all the time in the woods and it can be unsightly. I would be peeved if I paid good money to buy a house with a view or a wooded lot only to have that view altered and possibly run down by off roading ATVs (not to mention having to listen to those things all the time).

Now anti-gun stuff, I for one believe in my second amendment.

Regardless, people will complain anywhere, and it seems the complaints you mention are something my family can deal with. What I can't tolerate is people who try to constantly block the progress of an area just for the sake of it (IE-its growth) which can in turn hurt the local economy, infrastructure, etc...

Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 14,156 times
I'm with you, JRG. I'm anti off roading - by that I mean people who just ride around aimlessly and kick up dust and trash the place, and put their kids on motorized machines when they oughta be strengthening up their fat little bods on bicycles or on foot, and I'm also pro 2nd amendment, you bet!

The commute from Sedona to Flag on 179. The way to do it is you have to leave Sedona early in the morning before the tourists are on the road. Otherwise you will be guaranteed to be stuck behind slow moving sightseers who refuse to use the turnoffs for most of the long trip. You do not even want to think about going south from Flag to Sedona ona summer weekend evening. The traffic might be backed up for 20 miles, thanks to the pedestrian crossings in downtown Sedona. Anyway you do it, if you have to commute by 179 daily it gets old fast. Sedona to Flag via 17 is a very long trip.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwww View Post
I'm with you, JRG. I'm anti off roading - by that I mean people who just ride around aimlessly and kick up dust and trash the place, and put their kids on motorized machines when they oughta be strengthening up their fat little bods on bicycles or on foot, and I'm also pro 2nd amendment, you bet!

The commute from Sedona to Flag on 179. The way to do it is you have to leave Sedona early in the morning before the tourists are on the road. Otherwise you will be guaranteed to be stuck behind slow moving sightseers who refuse to use the turnoffs for most of the long trip. You do not even want to think about going south from Flag to Sedona ona summer weekend evening. The traffic might be backed up for 20 miles, thanks to the pedestrian crossings in downtown Sedona. Anyway you do it, if you have to commute by 179 daily it gets old fast. Sedona to Flag via 17 is a very long trip.

Thanks for the heads up. We were there recently and came down the mountain after a rain and there were mud slides. It may be more conducive to either live in Flag or some place around flag, but I really hate snow (I'm from Buffalo) and the housing seems a bit overpriced there for what you get.

An alternate idea would be to work in Prescott or Cottonwood. My wife is in health care sales and I'm a teacher. I am not sure how easy it is to find jobs out that way though.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 PM

5 posts, read 14,156 times
"The commute from Sedona to Flag on 179."

Correction: 89A not 179. And I guess "backed up for 20 miles" is an exaggeration. 15 miles.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwww View Post
"The commute from Sedona to Flag on 179."

Correction: 89A not 179. And I guess "backed up for 20 miles" is an exaggeration. 15 miles.
HA! Still though, I wouldn't want to drive that route in the snow that is for sure!! How early are you talking in order to beat the traffic?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:44 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,933,976 times
Further hazards on 89A in the summer/ fall come from people parking and walking along the side (especially near Slide Rock) and the occasional bicycler (yes, really, even though it seems to me this is nothing short of suicidal).

> Mostly the way liberals ruin everything. From the old timers I know in Flag the libs cry about the off road riding allot of places they for the most part are anti gun

You will may have to become accustomed to the full range of political opinion in Arizona.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM

157 posts, read 569,325 times
It might sound impossible, but I live in Flag, I don't like snow, and I'm happy to live here. As a two-time resident my strategy is to hunker down until it passes. I live very close to work. The mountain powder makes tremendous piles, but it melts off quickly except for two or three bigger storms annually. That part I find bearable. The schools will close and most people will take the day off. Driving in snow is what I like the least. A long drive from Cottonwood or Sedona would be stressful. No way could I stand it!

Can I ask what about snow is most unbearable for you - driving? shoveling snow? being cold? I may be able to help you find a strategy to avoid the worst part and make it bearable. If you don't mind driving in snow, but don't want to be cold, you might enjoy Camp Verde or Lake Montezuma, but they are more rustic than VOC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona