Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 AM

26 posts, read 88,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
It might sound impossible, but I live in Flag, I don't like snow, and I'm happy to live here. As a two-time resident my strategy is to hunker down until it passes. I live very close to work. The mountain powder makes tremendous piles, but it melts off quickly except for two or three bigger storms annually. That part I find bearable. The schools will close and most people will take the day off. Driving in snow is what I like the least. A long drive from Cottonwood or Sedona would be stressful. No way could I stand it!

Can I ask what about snow is most unbearable for you - driving? shoveling snow? being cold? I may be able to help you find a strategy to avoid the worst part and make it bearable. If you don't mind driving in snow, but don't want to be cold, you might enjoy Camp Verde or Lake Montezuma, but they are more rustic than VOC.
I hate driving in it and I hate shoveling it. I especially hate driving in it but it is hard to not leave the house for months on end during the snow season.

Being cold I do not mind. In fact I welcome it after living in Raleigh for 9 years. I do not welcome extreme humidity, but at the same time, I don't want to be buried in snow from October-May like in Buffalo. Its tough to have the best of both worlds I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 PM

157 posts, read 568,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgleason2003 View Post
I hate driving in it and I hate shoveling it. I especially hate driving in it but it is hard to not leave the house for months on end during the snow season.

Being cold I do not mind. In fact I welcome it after living in Raleigh for 9 years. I do not welcome extreme humidity, but at the same time, I don't want to be buried in snow from October-May like in Buffalo. Its tough to have the best of both worlds I guess
It won't be possible to completely avoid the snow. My tip: look to the east.

1) East Flagstaff, the Sunnyside, Greenlaw, and Smoke Rise neighborhoods, receive less snow, and/or live close to work. East Flagstaff is less charming, but costs tend to be less, so there is a trade-off. There will still be snow.

2) Doney Park is between 3 to 6 miles northeast on highway 89. These tend to be 2 to 4 acre ranchettes.

3) Winona is 8 to 10 miles east on the interstate. Lots are frequently 5 acres. Winona is very rustic and small, but they have been going very cheap. There is no local water company. You will be out of half the snow this far out.

4) Winslow is 50 minutes east on the interstate. Winslow is a real town with a few stores. It's possible to like Winslow, but check it out close to make sure it's for you before buying. Winslow averages a puny 11 inches of snow per year.

If you go other directions from Flagstaff you will run into even more snow driving than you would if you lived in Flagstaff. Munds Park and Bellemont both get tons.

Last edited by thedirtman; 08-27-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
It won't be possible to completely avoid the snow. My tip: look to the east.

1) East Flagstaff, the Sunnyside, Greenlaw, and Smoke Rise neighborhoods, receive less snow, and/or live close to work. East Flagstaff is less charming, but costs tend to be less, so there is a trade-off. There will still be snow.

2) Doney Park is between 3 to 6 miles northeast on highway 89. These tend to be 2 to 4 acre ranchettes.

3) Winona is 8 to 10 miles east on the interstate. Lots are frequently 5 acres. Winona is very rustic and small, but they have been going very cheap. There is no local water company. You will be out of half the snow this far out.

4) Winslow is 50 minutes east on the interstate. Winslow is a real town with a few stores. It's possible to like Winslow, but check it out close to make sure it's for you before buying. Winslow averages a puny 11 inches of snow per year.

If you go other directions from Flagstaff you will run into even more snow driving than you would if you lived in Flagstaff. Munds Park and Bellemont both get tons.
Do people call it "God Forsaken Winslow"? Or is that just the people I know?

Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,730 times
I'm only picking up the most recent posts of this thread but here are my comments:

I was born in Arizona and I do remember how beautiful and peaceful Sedona was....we went to Sedona two weeks ago and I was saddened to see how "Californiaized" it's become. Sedona has been ruined.

We went to Cottonwood too. Cottonwood was a very nice town but not much different from where I live now.

When hubby retires we will probably end up in Prescott as the weather is cooler and there is good shopping. The medical care seems to be better too.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
I'm only picking up the most recent posts of this thread but here are my comments:

I was born in Arizona and I do remember how beautiful and peaceful Sedona was....we went to Sedona two weeks ago and I was saddened to see how "Californiaized" it's become. Sedona has been ruined.

We went to Cottonwood too. Cottonwood was a very nice town but not much different from where I live now.

When hubby retires we will probably end up in Prescott as the weather is cooler and there is good shopping. The medical care seems to be better too.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. I keep hearing the term "Californiaized" in these forums but I don't really know what it all entails. Is it like liberalization or something?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM

As I have lived in California for a very long time this is my take on the term:

When you go to California you will see New Age based shops, plenty of liberal ideas, and a new take on reality.

For example: The Sedona I remember was a sleepy little town that had more of back-to-nature feel and NO psychic shops that I knew of. Granted I was a young girl. What I did find was fresh grown peaches, some of the best you'd ever eat, and a chance to swim in Oak Creek. Also, I had the opportunity to take a trip down Slide Rock. The area was a lot smaller and less built with pricey homes.

During my last trip to Sedona we were afraid to park as there were signs stating you could not unless you had a NFS sticker. As we were driving through, with no plans to stay, we did not feel like spending the cash to purchase the sticker. I never had the opportunity to stop and took at Sedona as we drove on. Later I found out we could have stopped to take photos.

I also saw a lot of pricey homes and New Age stores. The buildings also seemed to be built as to not match the area BUT more like what Californians expected to find in Sedona. I hope this makes sense.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:45 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgleason2003 View Post
Thanks for the input. I keep hearing the term "Californiaized" in these forums but I don't really know what it all entails. Is it like liberalization or something?
It is referring to the perception that the folks from Cali come here expecting what they left behind and not finding it, try to change Arizona into something that fits their expectations. I hear the same comments from friends in Oregon.

Curly

Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM

43 posts, read 105,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
It is referring to the perception that the folks from Cali come here expecting what they left behind and not finding it, try to change Arizona into something that fits their expectations. I hear the same comments from friends in Oregon.

Curly
I'd say it is safe to say the vast majority of the ones who come from Ca want to make us like Ca. To me it is funny that people can live in a state they don't like that is just as nice many ways as AZ Pack their things and move only one state over they try to make AZ just like the state they messed up so bad that they didn't even want to live in it. Was a time S. Ca was Conservative Not anymore

Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 PM

I alluded to, but did not state, I am a native Arizonan who ended up in California.

It looks like we'll be heading home to my beloved state as hubby dearest has placed Arizona near the top of places he's thinking moving to when he retires.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM

Hmmmm...oddly I can understand where you are coming from with all the transplants from up north down here in NC. I don't really mind it all though so long as people leave me alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona