Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM

157 posts, read 568,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgleason2003 View Post
Do people call it "God Forsaken Winslow"? Or is that just the people I know?
I haven't heard that, though I can imagine. My impression is the 40's and 50's were a boom. The 60's and 70's were a bust. For whatever reason things have stabilized. Likely its due to proximity of Flagstaff and possibly a reference to Winslow in a popular song. People who like the 50's like Winslow. Finally, I hear the Hopi food at the La Posada is fabulous. That's everything I know about Winslow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
It is referring to the perception that the folks from Cali come here expecting what they left behind and not finding it, try to change Arizona into something that fits their expectations. I hear the same comments from friends in Oregon.

Curly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostone1413 View Post
I'd say it is safe to say the vast majority of the ones who come from Ca want to make us like Ca.
This perception may have been somewhat true in the past, but not in recent years. The persons leaving California today tend to be middle aged or older non Hispanic whites with conservative or moderate political views. They are quite happy to escape the dysfunctional mess that liberalism carried to extremism has created in California, and have no desire to change Arizona, or any other new home state, into what they left behind. Sure, they may miss a few familiar amenities, but that usually is the extent of it.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 PM

26 posts, read 88,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
This perception may have been somewhat true in the past, but not in recent years. The persons leaving California today tend to be middle aged or older non Hispanic whites with conservative or moderate political views. They are quite happy to escape the dysfunctional mess that liberalism carried to extremism has created in California, and have no desire to change Arizona, or any other new home state, into what they left behind. Sure, they may miss a few familiar amenities, but that usually is the extent of it.

Thats what I thought. More conservatives moving in. Either way, I'm sure its an weird mix of political elements!!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
While that may be true, the liberal ones still seem to end up here. I am a fairly recent transplant here myself, (Yuma) and everyone I talk to about changes in the area blames a lot of it on Californians. Whether it is true or not, that is the current perception here.

Curly

Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
While that may be true, the liberal ones still seem to end up here. I am a fairly recent transplant here myself, (Yuma) and everyone I talk to about changes in the area blames a lot of it on Californians. Whether it is true or not, that is the current perception here.

Curly

Reminds me of how everyone in Raleigh, NC blames changes on New Yorkers. Every place has to have someone to blame

Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Is Clarkdale an option if my Wife were to work in Prescott? Will we find ourselves going to Cottonwood for everything?

Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Is Clarkdale an option if my Wife were to work in Prescott? Will we find ourselves going to Cottonwood for everything?
Clarkdale to Prescott, over Mingus Mtn., would be a one hour drive every day, one way. I know a few who do it but I wouldn't.

As for "going to Cottonwood for everything"...it's not like Clarkdale is miles away, like Sedona or Camp Verde. It's, pretty much, 'right there'. Clarkdale proper has no shopping but it's only ten minutes to the nearest shopping center. Well, it does have a Family Dollar on 260 West and Maverick gas station but that's about it. Seems to me I heard 'rumors'...and saw signs...that there was supposed to be a mall of some sort built out there but nothing ever came of it.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:49 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,493 times
Quote:
That drive is up and over Mingus mountain, a 2 lane, twisty, hairpin curved road. It is a very pretty drive, some fantastic views on the VV side. I enjoy driving up there now and again. It is also popular with Motorcyclists, Bicyclists and lots of impatient drivers. I can't imagine driving it everyday, especially when the weather is poor.

Curly

Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Clarkdale to Prescott, over Mingus Mtn., would be a one hour drive every day, one way. I know a few who do it but I wouldn't.

As for "going to Cottonwood for everything"...it's not like Clarkdale is miles away, like Sedona or Camp Verde. It's, pretty much, 'right there'. Clarkdale proper has no shopping but it's only ten minutes to the nearest shopping center. Well, it does have a Family Dollar on 260 West and Maverick gas station but that's about it. Seems to me I heard 'rumors'...and saw signs...that there was supposed to be a mall of some sort built out there but nothing ever came of it.

Forgot about the weather...living closer to 17 would be a better bet then?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Forgot about the weather...living closer to 17 would be a better bet then?
For driving to Prescott? Maybe. I think it's a few miles longer going by I 17 and 69 but the speed limit makes it about the same drive time. It isn't very often that you can't drive over Mingus but it DOES get snow a few times during the winter. I just wouldn't live in the Verde Valley and drive to Prescott every day. For me that would be a tank of gas every four days or so.

I don't remember if you said you have visited here, or not, but I would suggest that you do. Then you could see whether it would be good/best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona