Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 PM

14 posts, read 69,668 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Flagstaff and the only data I can find is average precipitation measures, which is about 20" of rain per year. That seems kind of low. I live in Los Angeles currently where it rarely rains and I can't stand it!

So how often/how much does it rain in Flagstaff, more or less? Is there a "rainy season?" Is it year-round? What's the deal?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
most of Arizona has a very pronounced summer rainy season in July and August....gets humid with afternoon storms, usually....Flag definitely gets this....can get cooler, windy, thunder-y very quickly in the afternoon in those months, but not every day.....we look forward to it a lot

there'll be a few snow "events" in the winter with snow piled up for a few days afterwards....always very cold at night in the winter...

during the other months, it'll rain every few weeks or so off and on for a day or three....usually low humidity and sunny skies 80-90% of the time or so....less rainy than LA

Last edited by azdr0710; 04-02-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Hope this comes through.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?az3010

Anyhow, you can go to the Western Regional Climate Center and look up tons of data.

For you question:

LAX Receives about 12" of rain on 35 days per year.

Flagstaff receives about 21" of rain and 89" of snow on 82 days per year. It should feel a bit more rainy in the summer, but not at all oppressive. It is still a semi-arid climate, but you will see blue skies with billowy clouds, snow, rain,and lightning.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM

So it seems that Flagstaff has significantly more precipitation and weather events in general, than Los Angeles. That is encouraging. I know it sounds crazy to say this, but the mild weather and sunshine gets really boring after a while! This year has been especially dry. It rains once, for half a day, then it won't rain again for a month... sometimes two. It's terrible!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelise View Post
That is encouraging. I know it sounds crazy to say this, but the mild weather and sunshine gets really boring after a while!!
I grew up in Phoenix. I can definitely relate to that statement.

Some years are wetter than others, as far as the monsoon goes. When I first moved to Flagstaff in 2010, it seemed like it rained almost every day from August to October, almost. I enjoyed it. Though this past monsoon season didn't seem to do much of anything. Same with our winter season, this year.

Generally, April to June is the driest part of the year in Arizona. Though it's not uncommon to get a late April or early May snow event. The weather has been painfully uneventful this year, so far.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Quote:
So it seems that Flagstaff has significantly more precipitation and weather events in general, than Los Angeles. That is encouraging. I know it sounds crazy to say this, but the mild weather and sunshine gets really boring after a while! This year has been especially dry. It rains once, for half a day, then it won't rain again for a month... sometimes two. It's terrible!

I grew up in Porterville (just north of Bakersfield), and I spent a couple years in LA/OC right out of high school. Hated it! I could not stand all the brown stagnant air and cloudless skies. I am a four season guy for sure. So, I don't think you are crazy. The biggest change moving to Flagstaff is IT WILL BE COLD! Don't kid yourself, it will be a transition if you have spent much time in LA, or anywhere in coastal California. I think I would enjoy living in Flagstaff, because I enjoy cold and snow, especially bright sunny days after a snow storm.

Up here in Oregon, we get the opposite. A bit too many days without sun or snow. Just grey, grey, grey.

Oh well. No place is perfect.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Fiddlehead I sympathize. I am originally from San Francisco where the weather is very similar to Oregon I think. I loved the weather in New Orleans when I lived there. The heat was horrible, don't get me wrong, but the storms were great. It would go from sunny to dumping rain in a matter of minutes. Thunderstorms are Moderator cut: snip to drive in but I do love them. Snow too. I am excited to live somewhere that has both snow AND thunderstorms, in moderation. I am actually okay with the cold and much prefer it to the heat.

I am excited about Flagstaff but a little nervous that it might feel too small. I guess we will have to wait and see, but at least the weather will be nice!

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,163,587 times
Quote:
I am excited about Flagstaff but a little nervous that it might feel too small.
Have you ever lived in a town of 61K? It might be quite an adjustment if you haven't.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 AM

I grew up in a town by San Francisco that has about 15k people. It was isolated by about 10 mins drive, rather than being absorbed into the sprawl like a lot of suburbs near the city. However, even though it was quite a bit smaller than Flagstaff, it was still not too far from major urban areas, so it will still be a change.

I enjoy cities but I find myself inconvenienced by them more than anything. Especially in LA. The traffic, the people, everything being so scattered and far away. Can't stand it. I rarely drive farther than a 5-mile radius from my house, so Flagstaff might suit me quite well!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:18 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,865 times
I find Flagstaff is the perfect distance from Phoenix to make it tolerable. A two hour drive and a decent day trip if you ever get bored!

Really, though - there's a lot going on in Flagstaff, considering that it is a small town. Granted, it usually involves the university crowd, but there's always some kind of event happening around town, and occasionally some good acts roll through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona