Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysL8 View Post
We were just there yesterday and are planning to come back up next weekend. Definitely need a 4 wheel drive truck (and yes a GPS - sad to say - since there are no road signs or markers) to go unto our property- but that makes it nice - planning to set up our travel trailer or small cabin for a weekend escape from the city madness and to make it livable and I am hopeing to find out as much information as I can, to not make any costly mistakes.
It's definitely a good bang for your buck. 6000 feet elevation with 4 seasons. The town has enough basic amenities to where you aren't completely lost from civilization . Get some great views of the SF Peaks depending on where the acre is too. From what I can see, most acres within a mile of town are in the 8K range which isn't too bad at all. However, they may not be secluded enough for those who want to be miles from civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 06:09 PM

I spent this past weekend viewing an acre in the Grand Canyon Subdivision. The parcel I viewed nor any other properties have been perc tested since the 1960's. Those looking for raw land know how expensive septic becomes if a perc test fails. I asked 60% of the sellers asking price yesterday but it doesn't sound as if the seller will drop asking price too much. Without a perc test, shouldn't pay more than $3000/acre.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 PM

537 posts, read 739,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I spent this past weekend viewing an acre in the Grand Canyon Subdivision. The parcel I viewed nor any other properties have been perc tested since the 1960's. Those looking for raw land know how expensive septic becomes if a perc test fails. I asked 60% of the sellers asking price yesterday but it doesn't sound as if the seller will drop asking price too much. Without a perc test, shouldn't pay more than $3000/acre.
Personally, I wouldn't pay even $1000/acre. Just a heads-up: the seller probably bought that parcel and several others like it for a few hundred bucks at the Coconino County Treasurer's office. There are literally hundreds of these Grand Canyon Subdivision parcels sitting on the county tax rolls for unpaid taxes as their owners have walked away from them. People have been buying some of those acres and trying to sell them to unsophisticated buyers or foreigners for ridiculous prices. Sometimes they get lucky and sell one.

I live about ten miles south west (as the raven flies) on 36 acres that I paid $800/acre for back in '02. I have incredible views and many trees. I'd be lucky to get $500/acre now. Raw land around here has plummeted since the housing bubble popped. I am a former real estate agent, BTW.

Sure, you could buy an acre out there for next to nothing but then you'd still need to put in a septic system, a water tank or two, a propane tank, and then put up your cabin or RV. If you don't pull permits and do most of the work yourself you could have a super cheap retirement, rental, or get-away home, though. Not the prettiest spot in northern Arizona, but it is what it is.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:05 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
good point from CC....so much of this land for sale up there.....do your research and bargain hard....might end up having to put a lot more $$ into it to make it livable and legal....back taxes due?....zoning rules?....

Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
Personally, I wouldn't pay even $1000/acre. Just a heads-up: the seller probably bought that parcel and several others like it for a few hundred bucks at the Coconino County Treasurer's office. There are literally hundreds of these Grand Canyon Subdivision parcels sitting on the county tax rolls for unpaid taxes as their owners have walked away from them. People have been buying some of those acres and trying to sell them to unsophisticated buyers or foreigners for ridiculous prices. Sometimes they get lucky and sell one.

I live about ten miles south west (as the raven flies) on 36 acres that I paid $800/acre for back in '02. I have incredible views and many trees. I'd be lucky to get $500/acre now. Raw land around here has plummeted since the housing bubble popped. I am a former real estate agent, BTW.

Sure, you could buy an acre out there for next to nothing but then you'd still need to put in a septic system, a water tank or two, a propane tank, and then put up your cabin or RV. If you don't pull permits and do most of the work yourself you could have a super cheap retirement, rental, or get-away home, though. Not the prettiest spot in northern Arizona, but it is what it is.
This is excellent advice. It won't benefit me but it will definitely benefit those in the future to lookup the Coconino County treasury for tax lien land . I verbally offered 3K for an acre 1/2 mile from the Rte 180/64 intersection. My offer was accepted and I just signed to move forward with closing in a month. After seeing all these tax liens under $1000 on the county's website, I do feel foolish for paying 3K for an acre. However, I am old school from a business standpoint. When I make an offer and the seller accepts, I honor it. In hindsight, I know I could of gotten it for even cheaper but my conscience means more than leaving a couple thousand on the table by offering 3K.

Do I regret my purchase after reading your VERY informative post ? No. The acre I bought is easily driveable in my 4 wheel drive pickup and the location being near the South Rim with great views of the SF Peaks and Red Butte are nice.

Last edited by magnum0417; 07-15-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
good point from CC....so much of this land for sale up there.....do your research and bargain hard....might end up having to put a lot more $$ into it to make it livable and legal....back taxes due?....zoning rules?....
From my dealings in Valle, the whole "zoning rules" tends to be enforced if someone rats on you to the county. I was told by several people the county only travels those dirt roads if someone calls 911.

Last edited by magnum0417; 07-15-2013 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 PM

635 posts, read 783,833 times
I read once where a guy was threatened with daily fines until his small solar setup was permitted. I would avoid the hassles and get a permit.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,974 times
My ex wife bought loads of Grand Canyon Subdivision parcels back in the day for literally a couple hundred dollars each. She turned around and sold them on EBay for well over $1000 each. Granted, if you have an RV and a high clearance vehicle and want a place to set up and camp for a few days, it's always nice to have a parcel to just set up on. The roads can be rough especially after a good rain, however.
Instead of buying them for $1000 or more, just get with the treasurer's office and place a sealed bid on one. You'll get it for next to nothing. Keep in mind that they advertise that "power is available" to the lot, but they fail to mention the cost of running the line from the pole to your property, lol. Solar and tanked water along with septic are the only ways to go. And that's living pretty rurally, if you ask me.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
My ex wife bought loads of Grand Canyon Subdivision parcels back in the day for literally a couple hundred dollars each. She turned around and sold them on EBay for well over $1000 each. Granted, if you have an RV and a high clearance vehicle and want a place to set up and camp for a few days, it's always nice to have a parcel to just set up on. The roads can be rough especially after a good rain, however.
Instead of buying them for $1000 or more, just get with the treasurer's office and place a sealed bid on one. You'll get it for next to nothing. Keep in mind that they advertise that "power is available" to the lot, but they fail to mention the cost of running the line from the pole to your property, lol. Solar and tanked water along with septic are the only ways to go. And that's living pretty rurally, if you ask me.
I did look over the Coconino County Treasury site and some the lots can be had for barely $100. However, there is also a lot more involved than just paying the owner's back taxes at the courthouse. You have to wait 3 years from the time the County opens the property to the public to put in a notice of foreclosure and filing it. Having to serve the delinquent owner by skiptracing and confirming their whereabouts,etc. The court and filing costs may end up being more than the property is even worth when all is said and done.

The paragraph above is my understanding with the complications involved with buying tax lien property. If you can confirm or correct my assumptions that would be appreciated Rich67. Thanks !

PS: One of the reasons why I'd never purchase raw land on ebay is that a lot of the deeds are not perfected and even the seller's admit that in their description.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,974 times
Can't confirm or deny that. Lets just say that was her deal, and she's my ex for a reason. I felt it was a bit shady, and she was definitely not a licensed agent.
I'd caution anyone to do their research before jumping on any raw land deals, for sure. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona