Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 AM

6 posts, read 12,350 times

Advertisements

I hope that crammed enough in there :P

Recently divorced, I'm on the fence for the first time in years about where to go "next". We've lived in Prescott Valley and really enjoyed it but weren't there long enough to really see what it had to offer. My son did make some friends but gradually they all moved off so he moped around with little else to do. He enjoyed Freedom Station a lot.

I've been minus any kind of social life for several years and while I'm not the least bit interested in getting married (unless he's Colin Farrell), I'm still anxious to get out and meet some new playmates now and then. Something to start a torrential downpour on that dry spell and preferably with attractive, in shape, outgoing sorts in the 30-40ish box. So some decent pickings in the dating arena would be most welcome.

Aside from that, I have other interests:

--community garden, eco village or permaculture groups and a place to try my hand at gardening.
--swimming, hanging out/camping at lakes that aren't poison to the touch
--some semblance of a nightlife, live music, a little dancing (other than country), have a few drinks and just take the edge off - but not the wrinkled up no life having barfly sorts.
--gaming and recreation, real world gaming, ARGs even, community events (zombies, treasure hunts, etc) or a community that would enjoy such things
--secular, reality minded people - I have no use for the religious nutters trying to lure me into their delusion (answer that issue enough?)
--definite non whacknut style preppers of the "let's be rational and prepared but not zomg Obama's comin to git our gunz!! move out, soldier!" - those people freak me out
-- crafters, artists, people who like to make things
-- receptive to the entrepreneureal spirit and/or home businesses, supportive, encouraging via the community overall as opposed to snooty cliquish old people who fear change and hate everything (many of those seem to post all over this forum and continually gloom and doom the entire state of Arizona but for some reason won't move out of it)
-- community events, being involved, quiet easy lifestyle, friendly neighbors who respectfully keep an eye on their street/block/residential hub without being nosey or calling the cops every time a dog barks
--especially kid friendly, so my son can meet new kids to hang out with, things in common - typical video game nerd but still enjoys exploring, unleashing his imagination, creating things, building, etc. not much into sports but that's more circumstantial than his lack of interest; not in one place long enough to get involved
--kids who like to have fun and enjoy life and who aren't going to try to goad him into vandalizing property, robbing people, getting on drugs or kicking puppies (I'd scold him but inwardly think it was awesome if they climbed up on top of the local school or something - that sort of thing)

I'm open minded, evidence oriented, non religious, fun natured, adventurous, enjoy traveling, writing, computing and transhumanism as much as old school homesteading, off grid living, and the glorious outdoors, as much as community activities, treasure hunts, etc.

Not opposed to a 2b/2b apartment in a safe, clean, nicer part of town but would love to rent a 2/3b house with a yard so I can start focusing on gardening and other projects...but need really inexpensive rent/expenses.

---

I'm well versed in the natural beauty and hiking, typical Arizona attractions - those aren't a problem. It's not about hiking and snowboarding, but the above interests and the place best suitable for the majority of them.

Flag - I like the size and the opportunity, the weather is fine, the "scene" and all but I'm unsure of the potential for my son to have decent friendships or being able to roam around without getting hurt or ending up kidnapped or something. I might enjoy Flag as a grown up, just not sure how it'd be perceived by a 14 y/o

Cottonwood - based on all the threads, this seems like an ideal little spot in the middle of everything, easy expenses and an option for some work while developing a business that can be directed to Prescott area and up in Flag with minimal commute issues. Not daily but once or twice a week is fine since I'd work out of my home. Definitely seems kid friendly with a lot of the options. My fear is utterly selfish - my sex/dating life will evaporate before my eyes and any single male within 50 miles will weigh 300lbs or be 67 or one of the hole in the wall barfly sorts, but on the upside, my child going through puberty would probably have a blast since there seem to be a ton of kids in that age group

Prescott/Valley - seems like a mix between the two...with the downside of no water activities, swimming, or real gardening options and this is important to me and my son. If we're going to sizzle to death in the Arizona summer sun, there has to be some body of water near enough for swimming, or spending a day at the lake, boating etc.

My question:

Out of those three areas, which do you think would support the most of the above interests and opportunities for my son and myself?

Flagstaff, Cottonwood, or Prescott/Valley area?

Note: "none of the above" is not the correct answer, please stay within those three locales - it's a serious inquiry.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM

31 posts, read 83,666 times
I think, er, culturally, Flagstaff is going to be the best fit for you, and PV the worst. Cottonwood has changed a lot in the last decade so I can't really offer an opinion there.

Cottonwood is probably closer to the 'water' you seek, a lot of people head to Sedona, Sycamore Canyon, or Wet Beaver Creek to cool down. Flag is really too cold for that, so most people head at least as far as the above for that sort of thing.

I wouldn't worry about your son getting kidnapped or something like that in Flagstaff, rather that he'd be bored. Yes there are plenty of kids here, but there's not much to do. Though that's probably true in the other cities as well. If he likes the outdoors (hiking, biking, etc.), it might be easier for him.

Gardening in Flagstaff is tough. Depending on where you're coming from, it might be a shock. The growing season is woefully short. I think it's a lot more realistic (if you're prepared to spend a lot on your water bill) to expect to have a decent garden in the other places. Of course (since you're renting) I assume you're talking about vegetable-type gardening...perennial flower gardens can be decent but take a while to establish.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 12,350 times
Thanks

I've not wholly ruled out Flag but it's down to the #3 option. We're more familiar with PV having lived there and we both really enjoyed it. Cottonwood just sounds so nice by comparison but probably won't really know unless we visit. The current plan though is PV for now and we'll check into Cottonwood.

Of course, I'll probably change it all up 150 more times in the next month til we work it out. I've read all the Cottonwood threads here and other places - would like to get some 2013 dated information though from a resident point of view and not the tourist point of view. I'd noticed there is a complex the pueblo? with some affordable units so if anyone knows about them and that area of town - kids, crime, stuff to do, etc - that would be greatly helpful.

Appreciate you taking time to respond. Thanks a lot!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,965 times
I read negative reviews of the apartment complex The Pueblo on ApartmentRatings.com. More positive reviews are on Mountain View Villa Apartments - both in Cottonwood.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,963,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose8 View Post
I read negative reviews of the apartment complex The Pueblo on ApartmentRatings.com. More positive reviews are on Mountain View Villa Apartments - both in Cottonwood.
I have friends who live in both complexes and Mountain View does get the better 'reviews'. The Pueblo is right across the street from the fairgrounds which would make it a negative for me. When they have activities there the traffic and noise is bad. I live 1/2 a mile from there and can hear it all at my house so wouldn't want to be THAT close. There are some really nice apt. complexes on Mingus Ave. and they aren't expensive. Probably average $600 month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona