Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 14,309 times

Advertisements

Let's come back to the original topic, please.

Between August 29 and September 19, 2013 there have been three dead bodies found on public grounds in or around Sedona - a 30 year old woman from West Sedona on August 29 somewhere between Chimney Rock and Lizard Head in West Sedona, an unknown man on August 30 close to Basha's in West Sedona, and a 47 year old woman from the Village of Oak Creek on September 19 somewhere along the Oak Creek in the Village of Oak Creek.

All of these cases are tragic and sad. However, what I don't understand is that the Red Rock News is not following up on these stories - especially the two completely mysterious cases here in West Sedona. What was their cause of death? My wife and I are walking - usually independently from each other which means: alone - several times a week around Chimney Rock. It feels strange to know that a couple of yards away a dead body was found and it feels even more strange that our local newspaper seems not to think that it should be its job to follow up on such a story and inform the public about it.

I will call the Red Rock News on Monday and try to talk to the Managing Editor (Christopher Graham) and ask him about this and why the Red Rock News is not following up on such a story on its own. Maybe it would be a good idea if more people do the same.

I think we should know the results of the investigations into these cases and I think our local newspaper should report about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 11:05 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
You CAN post a comment on their website.

But realistically- community newspapers do not do investigative journalism and I would not expect them to do so. Besides, this is a paper publishing apparently serious stories about new-age healers and stuff.

It IS the responsibility of the police to follow up. If there were serious local journalism I expect the police would communicate what they feel is appropriate. This might not be as much as the public would want however.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 14,309 times
I just talked to the reporter who wrote the articles in the Red Rock News about the dead bodies and he told me that he was just finishing a follow-up story on all three cases that will be published in Wednesday's Red Rock News. According to the reporter the 30 year old woman died from falling or jumping from a cliff between Chimney Rock and Lizard Head (I know a couple of such places there where I am always a little scared that I could slip and fall and possibly die), the man has been identified and died from alcohol poisoning, and the 47 year old woman drowned in the Oak Creek. According to the police in none of these cases are any indications that there was a homicide happening.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMountain View Post
I just talked to the reporter who wrote the articles in the Red Rock News about the dead bodies and he told me that he was just finishing a follow-up story on all three cases that will be published in Wednesday's Red Rock News. According to the reporter the 30 year old woman died from falling or jumping from a cliff between Chimney Rock and Lizard Head (I know a couple of such places there where I am always a little scared that I could slip and fall and possibly die), the man has been identified and died from alcohol poisoning, and the 47 year old woman drowned in the Oak Creek. According to the police in none of these cases are any indications that there was a homicide happening.
I have been told by reasonable sources that all were suicides...the drinker was probably an accident - apparently he was a heavy drinker and his father had recently died. The two women were depressed/distraught and were considered suicides but the fmailies may not want that to be released so perhaps that's why no more was said. The source told me there was another woman (4th and 5th person) found dead on a road or ditch around Andante and someone jumped of Midgely Bridge too...very weird for so many accidents/suicides all at once in such a small place.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 PM

537 posts, read 739,930 times
The sad thing about Sedona is that I think many people have moved here having been sold on the "mystique" of the place -- that it will somehow heal, inspire, transform, etc. their lives -- and when their lives don't magically improve it's back down the monkey hole.

I have seen many newly-divorced people come to Sedona. A year or two later . . . they leave.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM

138 posts, read 387,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I have been told by reasonable sources that all were suicides...the drinker was probably an accident - apparently he was a heavy drinker and his father had recently died. The two women were depressed/distraught and were considered suicides but the fmailies may not want that to be released so perhaps that's why no more was said. The source told me there was another woman (4th and 5th person) found dead on a road or ditch around Andante and someone jumped of Midgely Bridge too...very weird for so many accidents/suicides all at once in such a small place.
I haven't heard about the latest 'suicide bridge' victim, but it will probably show up in the RRN in a couple of weeks. My wife has friends who knew Amy and went to her memorial service. The claim is that she committed suicide by taking pills and peacefully walked into the water and drowning. Huh? How would anybody know this? The facts that I'm aware of are that she had a large amount of drugs in her body (possibly a prescription for her dog) and she was found dead in Oak Creek. Peaceful drowning? The only way that can happen is if you're almost dead before getting into the water which begs the question... how could you get in the water? Anyway, lots of unanswered question in my mind.

My wife has been theorizing that there is a serial killer in Sedona (there HAS to be a conspiracy theory, this IS Sedona after all!). With the lack of info from the police, sheriff and local news it certainly seems like they are trying to hide something.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 PM

537 posts, read 739,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I haven't heard about the latest 'suicide bridge' victim, but it will probably show up in the RRN in a couple of weeks. My wife has friends who knew Amy and went to her memorial service. The claim is that she committed suicide by taking pills and peacefully walked into the water and drowning. Huh? How would anybody know this? The facts that I'm aware of are that she had a large amount of drugs in her body (possibly a prescription for her dog) and she was found dead in Oak Creek. Peaceful drowning? The only way that can happen is if you're almost dead before getting into the water which begs the question... how could you get in the water? Anyway, lots of unanswered question in my mind.

My wife has been theorizing that there is a serial killer in Sedona (there HAS to be a conspiracy theory, this IS Sedona after all!). With the lack of info from the police, sheriff and local news it certainly seems like they are trying to hide something.
Today's RRN has the police discounting any "serial killer" theories. It was on the front page, too, FWIW.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM

138 posts, read 387,843 times
The suicide bridge takes another...

Body recovered from beneath Midgley Bridge - Redrocknews.com

Old 10-13-2013, 09:10 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
I believe there have been 6 suicides, or what are believed to be suicides in a very short time ~ seems rather high to me.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
Today's RRN has the police discounting any "serial killer" theories. It was on the front page, too, FWIW.
I have a friend and neighbor who is a cop. They are suicides, not murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona