Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,774,085 times

Advertisements

It has been really hammering up here in Flagstaff this week. These are the some of the best thunderstorms I have seen. Lightning flying left and right and here to Sunday!

This place is Thor's home town!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-08-2014 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,917,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It has been really hammering up here in Flagstaff this week. These are the some of the best thunderstorms I have seen. Lightning flying left and right and here to Sunday!

This place is Thor's home town!
Nothing here today as far as storms or rain but the temps were tolerable. A tad warm and humid but not miserable. Cooler on for a few hours but mostly not needed.

Don't you just love those storms? It's what we get excited about.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,622 times
+1 these lightening storms have been awesome!

Not to mention, always fun when you can have a snowball fight in July. Taken July 8th, on top of Mt. Elden.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:59 PM

The monsoon is rip snortin' today!

Loving it!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:54 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,513,354 times
Are the storms as bad in Flag as they are in the White Mountain area? We camped near Big Lake in mid July and I felt like we were going to be blown into next week. The lightning was unbelievable and it seemed storm after storm rolled in or maybe one huge storm that just had to take a deep breath occassionally. Yikes!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Are the storms as bad in Flag as they are in the White Mountain area? We camped near Big Lake in mid July and I felt like we were going to be blown into next week. The lightning was unbelievable and it seemed storm after storm rolled in or maybe one huge storm that just had to take a deep breath occassionally. Yikes!
How "bad" it is really depends upon the day and time and individual storms, as many areas of the Southwest can get wild lightning storms at times. I do think that the White Mountains (and other SE Arizona mtn ranges) are an epicenter of summer thunderstorms, in terms of their frequency, duration, and intensity, but Flagstaff is not all that far behind. Because it is farther west, seems to get more "breaks" when west winds push monsoon moisture off to the east, but when the monsoon flow is in place, the storms are pretty intense.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:52 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,513,354 times
Being from the east I was thinking late afternoon thunderbumpers that moved thru and mercifully give us a break from the stifling heat. Learned a bit of a lesson on our trip and promptly did some reading up on American Moonsoons. Really interesting weather pattern so now I know what to expect in July and August. It stormed on us in Az.and NM and
in Abq. the amount of water in the streets after one storm was amazing. Do streets in Flag. ever flood? All in all great trip and enjoyed our time in Flag. storms held off so perfect weather and we were able to do some hiking.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Being from the east I was thinking late afternoon thunderbumpers that moved thru and mercifully give us a break from the stifling heat. Learned a bit of a lesson on our trip and promptly did some reading up on American Moonsoons. Really interesting weather pattern so now I know what to expect in July and August. It stormed on us in Az.and NM and
in Abq. the amount of water in the streets after one storm was amazing. Do streets in Flag. ever flood? All in all great trip and enjoyed our time in Flag. storms held off so perfect weather and we were able to do some hiking.

Streets definitely flood in Flag. What is interesting is how little permanent water there is around Flagstaff (the porous volcanic soils just swallow it), but you see all sorts of ephemeral drainages and water routing/flood control features. It has a strong flash flood pattern during the monsoons. Water rises fast and tends to drop fast, but can be very powerful while flowing.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Does it get nasty humid in Flagstaff during monsoon like it does in Phoenix? Im talking 70-degree dewpoints and 50-70% humidity?

Old 10-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Does it get nasty humid in Flagstaff during monsoon like it does in Phoenix? Im talking 70-degree dewpoints and 50-70% humidity?

No. Dew points above 60 are very rare. It can get wet, but it is too cool to really be sultry. I mean 70 degrees with 50% humidity is just not oppressive at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona