Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,506 times

Advertisements

Good evening everybody,

I have been reading this forum up and down. So, let me ask the locals who post here and live in Flagstaff a question.

I have the opportunity to work with one of the large companies (NP) that are in Flagstaff, so career wouldn't be an issue. I would be moving to Flagstaff from PA. I visited Arizona years ago and really enjoyed it. Now, things are obviously different as I have the means to have a solid job.

Is Flagstaff a good place to live? What is the quality of life there? How are the locals towards people not from the area originally? How are the prospects for someone who is single and stable? I am about the median age that lives in Arizona (Mid 30's.)

I'm definitely leaning towards making the move. Knowing what you know, do you feel that I would regret it, or be glad I made it?

One of my coworkers almost pulled the trigger on the move, but the company wouldn't pay for all of the moving expenses. He actually regrets it a little bit not making the move.

Thank you for reading, and any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 12:36 AM

149 posts, read 197,961 times
Sounds like you should "Just Do It"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznewguy View Post
One of my coworkers almost pulled the trigger on the move, but the company wouldn't pay for all of the moving expenses
NP wasn't in the top 100 AZ employers & unless it's a service company, an alternative employer should things happen, most likely would be a service job in your future if you stay.

good luck

Old 10-10-2016, 09:38 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
You mean Nestle Purina?

Previous poster is correct that the job market here is small. Moving to Flagstaff and finding a stable job seems to be a major obstacle for others.

Depending on where you are in PA you will find housing comparable in price or maybe a bit higher. Flagstaff has outstanding outdoor activities. There is a large college-age population.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 9,098 times
In my opinion, you will regret it. But to be fair and do a good comparison where do you live in PA?

Old 02-02-2017, 03:56 PM

138 posts, read 387,815 times
You will love it unless you absolutely hate the cold. Small college town, lots of things going on considering the size. You don't say what part of PA you live in or what sort of things you like. If you like the inner city of Philly or Pittsburgh, you won't find that. If you like music and artsy stuff, you'll be pretty happy. If you like outdoors, hiking, biking, even skiing then you'll like it.

We moved to Sedona from Philly and love it. Sedona is much sleepier but it is very different from Flag. If I was single and liked the cold, Flag would be a good place to live.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:10 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
You mean Nestle Purina?

Previous poster is correct that the job market here is small. Moving to Flagstaff and finding a stable job seems to be a major obstacle for others.

Depending on where you are in PA you will find housing comparable in price or maybe a bit higher. Flagstaff has outstanding outdoor activities. There is a large college-age population.
Nestle Purina has two manufacturing plants in Pennsylvania, Allentown and Mechanicsburg near Harrisburg, so they must live near one of those two metro areas. Flag is definitely smaller than both of those metroplexes (800,000 in the Lehigh Valley and 560,000 in the Capital Region).

It seems that the best jobs in Flagstaff are at the University and the Medical Center, like most small to medium sized college towns.

Having grown up in PA (Northeastern) and lived in the Harrisburg area for two years, you might like Flagstaff, although you might find it "small" after living there for awhile. Plus the snow amount averages for the year will be 3 times as what you are currently averaging in PA.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,742 times
Only thing I would worry about is falling into to a gap where you are a little old for the college crowd but way too young for the geezer squad. There is from my understanding (I'm not in Flagstaff but go there a few times a year and live nearby) there is a 30is professional class type of people there but that group is small in comparison to college kids and the growing retiree segment. Still Flagstaff puts you in range of beautiful Northern AZ with all the cool stuff to explore (hiking, camping, lakes, outdoorsy type stuff). If you are looking for a change, I'd say go for it. Just know like what others have said that if you lose your NP position in the future you might be scrambling. Even if you come out for a few years and then head back for another position at NP it would be an adventure for you. Pray about it. Flagstaff isn't Podunk but it is smaller than you are used to by a lot going on what an above poster posted about demographics. For big town stuff you are 1.5 hours from Phoenix which isn't too far away. You will get more snow than PA, and more wind, but it isn't as cold. Even on cold days the sun will be out a lot of the time so it will seem less cold than cloudy PA.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:45 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Good evening everybody,

I have been reading this forum up and down. So, let me ask the locals who post here and live in Flagstaff a question.

I have the opportunity to work with one of the large companies (NP) that are in Flagstaff, so career wouldn't be an issue. I would be moving to Flagstaff from PA. I visited Arizona years ago and really enjoyed it. Now, things are obviously different as I have the means to have a solid job.

Is Flagstaff a good place to live? What is the quality of life there? How are the locals towards people not from the area originally? How are the prospects for someone who is single and stable? I am about the median age that lives in Arizona (Mid 30's.)

I'm definitely leaning towards making the move. Knowing what you know, do you feel that I would regret it, or be glad I made it?

One of my coworkers almost pulled the trigger on the move, but the company wouldn't pay for all of the moving expenses. He actually regrets it a little bit not making the move.

What is your budget for housing in Flagstaff?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:33 AM

13 posts, read 15,528 times
Quote:
Good evening everybody,

I wouldn't. Unless you like cold, wind and hardly any snow anymore plus there is no culture here, no good food, the politics are archaic (but getting better) and the people have much to desire. Not to mention the pay here sucks, the schools suck as well.

The only nice time is summer and the mountain biking is amazing, thats about it. Otherwise this is a very boring place. Very Podunk town, where people think they are in Aspen. People think they are hot **** and it's hard to make friends. Might be able to make friends at your work. Kind of sucks. Plus when you do make friends, they all tend to leave at some point. We have a fabulous house here but we are planning on getting out ASAP!!!! I'd move somewhere else, like CO. AZ is a strange place. Flagstaff is great to visit but that's it.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times
Well, my crowd is older and tend to fall into three categories: pro-gun, very pro-gun, and fanatically pro-gun . There's a few of us in Flagstaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona