Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,086,410 times

Advertisements

I've visited the Sedona area many times and what draws me back is the scenery; without the breathtaking red rock formations Sedona/Oak Creek would be known as a town between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

Have heard that the 'vortex' theory came into being back in the late 1980s by a guy trying to sell his book on the subject. Many have debunked the vortex theory, while others swear it's real.

Am in agreement with the overcrowding due to the tourists; however, tourists are a major support for the town and who could fault anyone from wanting to spend time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 07:50 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,522,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Hawaii wasn't for you? The climate in Hawaii is probably the best, but there are so many other problems in paradise, extremely high cost of living, extreme isolation, and the bottom of the barrel healthcare. No place is perfect, you just need to find the best place for yourself. Where in Florida? We're looking at Naples, FL now.

We visited the Flagstaff area because my brother in law talked about retiring there. Flagstaff is a small college town. We took a day trip from Flagstaff to Sedona. The road between Flagstaff and Sedona was pretty bad. During the winter with snow, that would be very dangerous and unnerving to drive on that road. Maybe the road between Phoenix and Sendona is better, we didn't drive on that road. Sedona is extreme tourism on steroids! Without tourism, Sedona would be a dead ghost town.

After spending only a few days in Arizona, we knew Arizona wasn't for us. To live in Arizona, you have to love the mountains, rock formations, and desert scruff. When people talk about living in Phoenix, I always think of sticking your head inside a hot oven! It's a dry heat, but it's like being inside a hot oven! Arizona is a no income tax state, which is great if you don't want to waste your retirement income paying state income taxes. A lot of people from the Midwest love to snowbird in Arizona, but it wasn't for us.

Highway 89A through Oak Creek Canyon is a very scenic drive. No, it's not for winter travel in snow, but that's what Highway 179 and Interstate 17 are for. Northern Arizona, across the board, is very different than the southern deserts. It's the red rocks and Oak Creek Canyon that make Sedona what it is. If those weren't there, Sedona wouldn't likely be there at all.

Arizona is NOT a no income tax state. You are confusing it with FL and a few other places.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:04 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,286,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Highway 89A through Oak Creek Canyon is a very scenic drive. No, it's not for winter travel in snow, but that's what Highway 179 and Interstate 17 are for. Northern Arizona, across the board, is very different than the southern deserts. It's the red rocks and Oak Creek Canyon that make Sedona what it is. If those weren't there, Sedona wouldn't likely be there at all.

Arizona is NOT a no income tax state. You are confusing it with FL and a few other places.
Thanks for correcting me about Arizona having an income tax. That's another reason to drop it from consideration! We don't want to be paying a state income tax when we are pulling money out of the income tax deferred retirement accounts! I must have mixed up Arizona with Nevada, since Nevada is a no income tax state, also located in the desert southwest.

We didn't take the longer roads, 179 and 17, between Sedona and Flagstaff, because it was getting dark. But we should have taken those roads back to Flagstaff because there's nothing to see after dark, and that probably would have been an easier drive back to where we were staying.

As we approached Sedona, it was very scenic, no question about that! For us, it's a place to visit, not to retire.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:16 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,566,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
While I don't agree with the guy that wrote that, I'll also have to take exception to your post. According to you, the only problem that you see is that the guy can't find a job that pays living wages in Sedona. The only thing you concern yourself about is trashing the guy because in your simple view of things, he is an uneducated moron. Who knows what this guys life story is? For all we know, he is one of those people that does have an education and still can't find a good job. There are plenty of people that have a piece of paper that says they are educated yet many of those same people are on welfare. You might pick on the guy for his choice of trying to find a good paying job in a small town full of retirees. Not exactly a place to look for that six figure income.
Frankly, I think you miss the point of his post entirely. His points about how the city, county and others approved some very unsightly and not very well thought out construction in a highly vulnerable scenic area. To be honest, he has some good points on the environment although he has some inappropriate ways of expressing his opinion.
Your post points out only a very narrow minded view of the situation. You question his motives, his education and his status in our society. That's your only focus. Money, income and status. You say absolutely nothing about one of his complaints about our environment. It's you that seems to have the problem. He, on the other hand, is solving his problem by moving to somewhere that might work better for him.
Sedona is a visual wonderland that should be protected and while I'm far from being an environmentalist, I do want to save for our children and future generations what we so much enjoy ourselves and if we allow corporate America determine what goes where then we might as well do as the original poster comically states. Just put a Walmart and McDonalds in the Grand Canyon. Their profits should soar so all is good even though they had to tear down the El Tovar to do it.
Well, my rant is over as well. My apologies. I just get a bit riled over the "haves" doing their best to make the "have nots" look like they are not worth having in our society.
And before you so arrogantly go off on me personally, let me just say that I own my home outright, I have worked all my life and earned everything I own. I pay taxes, I have ZERO debt and owe nobody anything so don't go off about how I must be one of the low lifes sucking the life out of those who actually contribute to our society by getting "freeloader handouts" as you say.
The guy is working. Doesn't sound like he is taking any handouts to me. He is moving to a different area to try and better himself. Isn't that exactly what you are talking about yet you choose to insult him and every low wage earner in our society.
Again, sorry for the rant. Rant over.
Very beautifully written! Nice perspective.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:46 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,869,355 times
If there is anything I've learned about getting a job in AZ is that unless you specialize in a field that's in demand, you're not going to find work, no matter how educated.

Take for example: Information Tech, science, and engineering. There might be a small demand, but they pay is usually lousy compared to a medical or sales profession. Too many private businesses with the mom and pop shop mindset instead of letting good corporations build business and attract these skills from all over, thus increasing tax dollar revenue in the communities.

It's why most of the northern half of AZ cities are struggling because they're so content to live in the 50s.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:51 AM

3,411 posts, read 4,664,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Surfer View Post
If there is anything I've learned about getting a job in AZ is that unless you specialize in a field that's in demand, you're not going to find work, no matter how educated.

Take for example: Information Tech, science, and engineering. There might be a small demand, but they pay is usually lousy compared to a medical or sales profession. Too many private businesses with the mom and pop shop mindset instead of letting good corporations build business and attract these skills from all over, thus increasing tax dollar revenue in the communities.

It's why most of the northern half of AZ cities are struggling because they're so content to live in the 50s.
Prescott and PV is the same way. The job market sucks between ages 18 to 55 unless you're in aerospace or medical field. I think people need to influence the city counsel and try to encourage economic growth to diversify it.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,985,482 times
Quote:
I know what it's like to be poor, and I know what it's like to be in the top 5%. Being in the top 5% is much better! I didn't change my life till after age 40. Most people that are affluent didn't get there because they were handed a pile of money. They had to struggle, educating themselves so they could work in a high income career. Then they live well below their means for several decades, and become millionaires. Most people have far more potential than they realize. Their potential is mainly limited by themselves, and they don't realize it. The person that was ranting chose to blame the successful people for their own shortcomings in life.
This is like a business spin on new agey Sedona stuff!

Although partially true, many who have money started off with money. Many do work hard but the above is a little rose colored. New age positivism wrapped in business language. "Believe in yourself and succeed!" conversely "If you aren't rich it is your fault." Neither are exclusively true. If you work hard you will always tend to better yourself though, agree there.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:48 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,286,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
This is like a business spin on new agey Sedona stuff!

Although partially true, many who have money started off with money. Many do work hard but the above is a little rose colored. New age positivism wrapped in business language. "Believe in yourself and succeed!" conversely "If you aren't rich it is your fault." Neither are exclusively true. If you work hard you will always tend to better yourself though, agree there.
You need to remember that the post that started this thread, deleted by the administrator, was chocked full of profanity! Usually, excessive profanity is used as a crutch or by someone who hasn't been educated very well, and is usually near the bottom of the economic scale.

There's an old slogan that it takes money to make money, which is true. However, if you invest in yourself and make yourself more valuable to an employer, plus live well below your means, you can accumulate wealth. It doesn't happen overnight without serious effort, it can take a couple decades or more. There's many stories of people coming to the US with nothing, and they eventually became successful. There's also stories of people who inherited a lot of money, and lost it all because they had no respect for the hard work it takes to acquire wealth when you start from zero at the bottom.

You need to make compromises in life. If you love to do something that pays poorly, or want to take an easy major that requires very little effort, so you can party all the time in college, that will reduce the odds of financial freedom, where work eventually becomes an option, not a requirement. You need to educate yourself to work in a high paying career to get ahead in life. Most people don't do that. Some truly lack the ability, others are simply too lazy or don't believe they have what it takes for them to become successful, selling themselves short.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
You need to remember that the post that started this thread, deleted by the administrator, was chocked full of profanity! Usually, excessive profanity is used as a crutch or by someone who hasn't been educated very well, and is usually near the bottom of the economic scale.

There's an old slogan that it takes money to make money, which is true. However, if you invest in yourself and make yourself more valuable to an employer, plus live well below your means, you can accumulate wealth. It doesn't happen overnight without serious effort, it can take a couple decades or more. There's many stories of people coming to the US with nothing, and they eventually became successful. There's also stories of people who inherited a lot of money, and lost it all because they had no respect for the hard work it takes to acquire wealth when you start from zero at the bottom.

You need to make compromises in life. If you love to do something that pays poorly, or want to take an easy major that requires very little effort, so you can party all the time in college, that will reduce the odds of financial freedom, where work eventually becomes an option, not a requirement. You need to educate yourself to work in a high paying career to get ahead in life. Most people don't do that. Some truly lack the ability, others are simply too lazy or don't believe they have what it takes for them to become successful, selling themselves short.
The principles you lay out I pretty much am on board with, I'd say they are even Biblical, with a few caveats. One, life is much more than money. Two, work smart, not necessarily hard all the time. Three, in college you should party (note to me partying didn't necessarily mean getting drunk and high all the time) and have as much fun as possible WHILE getting your school done (if you can). I wouldn't give up the friends I made or the experiences I had back then. And lastly Four, as my uncle used to say, you only have one ore in the water. Thinking you are in control of all the opportunities that life will throw at you, and by regurgitating some facts on a test being entitled to fame and fortune, is incorrect. Seneca did say that luck is opportunity met with preparation, no argument there. But some take it to far. Our society is filled with people who did everything right and got screwed. Again, following your general ethic, they will rise again. There are also people like me who didn't work all that hard and did fine. I paid my dues sure but with the exception of a year or two no one would ever accuse me of working too hard I think. In fact I know I've HAD some of my jobs because in the past I gained experiences outside of work that made me a well rounded person who could bring perspectives, humor, and insight into my work environments that fellow worker drones who were head down to the grind all their lives could not.

Absolutely work hard, I agree with you. But working smart is better, and knowing when to say "f it" and taking a break and go play (again if you can) is a good thing as well.

But I get it, you are talking to the pure slackers, of which also our society is full of. I would agree with everything you say to them, with the exception to add to them "God isn't asking you to be an exclusive worker drone, you might interpret people as saying that to you, no. They are saying you need to work hard at times, but there will still be time for play. You will still have good times. You just can't be ruled by your lust and follow them only, else you will be miserable. Test yourself, see what you are good at, and then run with it, and good things will follow."

I fear a world were we are all just complex widgets on a production line waiting for the day were our efficiency drops below a minimum or we are replaced by A.I. We should fight against a world that is all grey with no magic.

And I apologize for being in a pontificating mood. Lack of sleep for about four days is making me weird(er).

Old 06-10-2017, 03:25 PM

Also, just so you know, your post is encouraging me to get off my butt and get a few more certs. So good on ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona