Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 195,471 times

Advertisements

If you are thinking of moving to Flagstaff, think again. Housing costs are astronomical and the wages are really low in comparison. I know, I lived there for eight years and luckily got out before things got worse. If you want clean air, trees, lots of outdoor recreation (like skiing & rafting) and more bang for your buck, move to Spokane!!! I did and now I am fiscally a lot further ahead. My water bill is $20 a month instead of $200 a month. I bought the same 2 bd bungalow house (with a fireplace and large lawn) here for $78,000. My old house sold in Flagstaff for $298,000. People are getting ripped off there. Flagstaff is expensive for no reason. It's a mountain town want-a-be. The ski area in Flag is hardly ever open and when it is it's packed with every novice from Phoenix. Also of note. They winters in Spokane aren't as cold as Flagstaff because it's lower elevation and the summers here in Washington are nicer. If you're smart, check out Spokane while it's still inexspensive, it won't be for long.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:14 PM

788 posts, read 4,071,794 times
Is Spokane cloudy/overcast or rainy often? I need a lot of sunshine, although I do like variety in weather too.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,338,456 times
It seems like everywhere in the state of Arizona has become victim to rampant real estate speculation. I picked up a flier today for a supposedly rennovated (hah, maybe 10 years ago) 1960s ranch house in Tempe that was going for $450-grand! Are there any areas of the state left where the home values to income ratios are still normal?

Old 03-24-2007, 12:09 AM

18 posts, read 195,471 times
No. There is as much sunshine here as there was inn Flagstaff. This is the sunny side of the state. Only 17 inches of rain per year. About what Flagstaff used to get. Now Flagstaff is literally drying up. Mark my words, water is going to be a huge issue in Arizona in the near future! But hey, if your super wealthy, move to Flagstaff but you'll still going run out of water eventually. In Spokane there is a good variety of weather with four beautiful, distinct seasons and you don't have to pay a fortune to enjoy it. Just take a comparison look at the realestate prices on realtor.com. You can't even find a house in Flagstaff for under $200,000.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:23 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,099,793 times
I guess the rule of location, location, location does not always apply. If better areas of Arizona are cheaper, I can see prices in Flagstaff dropping by 50% or more

Old 03-26-2007, 09:56 PM

55 posts, read 353,842 times
Default Flagstaff Top 7 for Appreciation

Well I am sure glad I moved to Flagstaff, althought since I invested in real estate back in RI when I was 21 I don't have to work.

I bought a 5700 sq ft house on a golf course for under $92 a sq ft. You do the math. I will realize a 80% gain when I sell this year after 4 years.

Flagstaff is the 7th highest in the whole country for appreciation in Real estate. So if you can afford it it is a great place to own.

I make no apologies for my choices when I first got married that allowed me to retire in my 20's. I decided young to own and skipped fancy cars and trips. A lot about choices in life. And back in 1978 many were paying interest rates in the teens. I sought out one where I paid very little. It can be done.

Mind you it was just a small cottage, but it was in a nice neighborhood as my whole town was a bedroom community.

But Flag is no different than many areas of the country where ppl cannot afford to live where they work.

Good luck to all.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 PM

6 posts, read 92,149 times
Your right about Flaggstaff. High price houseing. High cost of living.
No middle class. You have a caste system town. First there is the rich liberals who are with NAU and their lib students. and then there is the rable, the poor whites and hispanics all hped up on meth working their low paying jobs. The liberal city fathers won't even allow a big box store in or around town. The wacky Flagg libs have been fighting better stores and improving the lifestyles of the poor workers for a very long time.

If you want the Arizona Moutains and all that Flaggstaff can off then try Prescott Arizona.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,794 posts, read 4,164,914 times
Default You're right

By golly, I think you guys have a point. That does it. I'm cancelling my move to Flagstaff.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:04 PM

91 posts, read 423,087 times
Default How Far Is Flagstaff From Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffgal View Post
Well I am sure glad I moved to Flagstaff, althought since I invested in real estate back in RI when I was 21 I don't have to work.

I bought a 5700 sq ft house on a golf course for under $92 a sq ft. You do the math. I will realize a 80% gain when I sell this year after 4 years.

Flagstaff is the 7th highest in the whole country for appreciation in Real estate. So if you can afford it it is a great place to own.

I make no apologies for my choices when I first got married that allowed me to retire in my 20's. I decided young to own and skipped fancy cars and trips. A lot about choices in life. And back in 1978 many were paying interest rates in the teens. I sought out one where I paid very little. It can be done.

Mind you it was just a small cottage, but it was in a nice neighborhood as my whole town was a bedroom community.

But Flag is no different than many areas of the country where ppl cannot afford to live where they work.

Good luck to all.
How far is Flagstaff from Mesa Arizona?

Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM

148 posts, read 848,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanaddict View Post
How far is Flagstaff from Mesa Arizona?
I would say at least 2.5 hours. It is almost exactly 2 hours from Flagstaff (west side) to central phoenix. I went to college up there and at the time my parents were in central phoenix so I had the trip timed pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona