Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 AM

329 posts, read 1,276,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman2 View Post
We live in an area with lots of traffic, so I'm sure we can handle whatever we find in Sedona. I would prefer not to live on a busy street, but don't mind traffic in town or on the highways.

Can anyone recommend any specific subdivisions that are particularly nice? A friend recommended a neighborhood called Northern Shadows, but I don't know anything about it other than the name!

Thanks again for all of your help, everyone -- I really appreciate it!

Cat
Northern Shadows is a beautiful area. It really depends on what price range you are looking in. There are a lot of reasonably good deals in Sedona right now. In addition to Northern Shadows, I would check out Foothills North and South, Mystic Hills, North Slopes, the Estates of North Slopes, Le Springs, Sky Ranch, Back O Beyond, Back O Beyond Ranch, Bristlecone Pine (it's a street). Casa Contenta is lovely but the lots are small. Oh, there are so many wonderful areas it's hard to list them all.

How many times have you been to Sedona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
Sedona gets over 3 million tourists through it each year. Now if you divided that number by 365 days, ....thats STILL a LOT of traffic. Don't white-wash it. It's busy, the real estate is pricey for anyone from arizona who really works but for people coming in from the east and california, price doesn't seem to be an issue.

Lovely views, a few very nice restaurants, too many woo woo new agey and business sharks for my taste. Closest hospitals that deal with trauma...Scottsdale and Phoenix....about a 3.5 hour drive.
Oh....and drinking water fron the tap is not a given. Big question mark about water.
I live in Sedona and travel to Phoenix often. It is a 2 hour drive.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 AM

13,218 posts, read 21,842,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post
I live in Sedona and travel to Phoenix often. It is a 2 hour drive.
Google maps lists it as 2 hours and 1 minute. Usually, their estimates are pretty conservative and can be significantly beaten if you have a heavy foot, which evidently you don't.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:55 AM

172 posts, read 422,851 times
adventuregurl:

"I'm not keen on the restaurants here at all, in my opinion many should be better than they are, and the best ones are very pricey. An average priced meal here is very average or often below average in my standards.."

bongofury:

Agree. Sedona's so-called "best restaurants" (and I've been to 'em all) wouldn't be in business too long in most of the places I've lived where creativity and an educated palate coexist. So many wonderful eateries in the small towns in NYS, Central Coast of California, areas outside of Atlanta, Philadelphia, Miami, Houston, Portland - much, much better, no comparison. Popular Sedona places like "Elote" and "Dahl & DiLuca" are but ho-hum - but what can you do? Locals and tourists dig Picazzo's, and I find this odd, as their food is very average (the salads are a disappointment and the pizzas are the same old ubiquitous restaurant chain "they call gourmet" pizza's you see coast to coast in all the other average hangouts. Heartline Cafe was OK, but for every meal that was good, I'd have another that wasn't (and I hate inconsistency in restaurants). Once in a while I go with a friend to Garland's in OCC for a meal, but usually if I'm in Sedona for lunch I just grab a soup and half sandwich at "Wildflower" (a chain that's pretty OK as far as chain restaurants go) - otherwise it's cook at home or brown bag it. I always tell foodies who arrive here - "you're not t-h-a-t far from Santa Fe, New Mexico or California (c:

Last edited by bongofury; 11-14-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 01:26 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times
gee, I hope restaurant quality isn't the deciding factor for whether or not Cat moves to Sedona!!....yes, the restaurants in Sedona don't have to try very hard...the tourists will eat at that trendy new place they heard about in Sedona, then go home, never to return....the locals will find the few places they click with and return....

nobody visits Sedona or lives in Sedona because of the restaurants!!

Cat: the town, unfortunately, is tourist-driven...has been for decades....it started as a small ranch town about 80 - 100 years ago, became popular as artists discovered it, and there you go....you will find great housing choices, but be aware of the practical aspects: a couple snow events each winter, cold at night in the winter, warm to hot in the summer, mostly pricey everything, tourist traffic in the summer and somewhat in the winter as Phx snowbirds drive up to see the place, few jobs (if needed), will have to drive for almost anything, especially if you need a big lot.....

as others say, you'll need to get out here and spend a few days getting a feel for the place....walk around, drive around, see where the stores are that you'll need, where to get some milk and bread, are the people ok?, is the relative isolation going to be ok for long?..........

hook up with a realtor who knows the area well

Old 11-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Google maps lists it as 2 hours and 1 minute. Usually, their estimates are pretty conservative and can be significantly beaten if you have a heavy foot, which evidently you don't.
Nope, I have to go 12 more months without a speeding ticket.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:37 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,443,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
Locals and tourists dig Picazzo's, and I find this odd,
I can answer for tourists.

When you're on vacation, food always tastes good

Old 11-14-2009, 01:39 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,235,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
kdog, there are at least 5 speed cameras between here and Scottsdale on any given day, I've counted the last few trips so having a heavy foot can be very costly .

Old 11-14-2009, 01:44 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,235,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
adventuregurl:

"I'm not keen on the restaurants here at all, in my opinion many should be better than they are, and the best ones are very pricey. An average priced meal here is very average or often below average in my standards.."

bongofury:

Agree. Sedona's so-called "best restaurants" (and I've been to 'em all) wouldn't be in business too long in most of the places I've lived where creativity and an educated palate coexist. So many wonderful eateries in the small towns in NYS, Central Coast of California, areas outside of Atlanta, Philadelphia, Miami, Houston, Portland - much, much better, no comparison. Popular Sedona places like "Elote" and "Dahl & DiLuca" are but ho-hum - but what can you do? Locals and tourists dig Picazzo's, and I find this odd, as their food is very average (the salads are a disappointment and the pizzas are the same old ubiquitous restaurant chain "they call gourmet" pizza's you see coast to coast in all the other average hangouts. Heartline Cafe was OK, but for every meal that was good, I'd have another that wasn't (and I hate inconsistency in restaurants). Once in a while I go with a friend to Garland's in OCC for a meal, but usually if I'm in Sedona for lunch I just grab a soup and half sandwich at "Wildflower" (a chain that's pretty OK as far as chain restaurants go) - otherwise it's cook at home or brown bag it. I always tell foodies who arrive here - "you're not t-h-a-t far from Santa Fe, New Mexico or California (c:
I hear ya Bongofury! People like Picassos because there is barely anything else that's good so they take the average, and pay good money for it. Heartline was one of my favs but since the fire I haven't been back. I've never been to Garlands as they have very limited hours, set menus etc. from what I hear but I have wanted to try it. Wildflower is out for me as I'm gluten intolerant...in that place I think it seeps in through the pores :-). It's even in the salads...tomoato and bread salad, who would have known !

Old 11-14-2009, 02:04 PM

13,218 posts, read 21,842,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
kdog, there are at least 5 speed cameras between here and Scottsdale on any given day, I've counted the last few trips so having a heavy foot can be very costly .
Cruise control is your friend. Set it 8 MPH over the speed limit, and you're good to go.

Last edited by kdog; 11-14-2009 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona