Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 12,334 times

Advertisements

Hey. My husband may get a job in Daytona so I have been researching the area. So much info!! Any thoughts? My family consists of me, my husband, we are in our thirties, and our two children, aged four and two. I am originally from Maui and my husband is from Houston. We are currently living in Houston. We would love to live on Maui forever but the cost of living is ridiculous. I am a beach girl and cannot stand the thought of not living by it. I am also a paranoid person so....... Somewhere that is somewhat safe is a must. My husband is in car sales. How's that business doing out there?

I appreciate all advice and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:23 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Florida is one of the hardest hit states in the US in terms of the recession (or more like depression) so I imagine the auto industry isn't seeing it's best numbers there though some auto makers/dealers are doing better than others. It sounds like the job front isn't an issue for you and the one major hurdle I would worry most about. I'd recommend looking at the Daytona suburb of Port Orange (particularly the Spruce Creek area). It's near the beach, quite safe and has excellent schools.

Port Orange, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spruce_Creek_High_School

Old 10-20-2010, 02:13 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times
I agree. Port Orange, Flagler Beach, Palm Coast... Daytona is pretty crime infested.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I agree. Port Orange, Flagler Beach, Palm Coast... Daytona is pretty crime infested.
I agree with the two posters above - check out these areas and stay out of Daytona itself.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Thanks. I have been looking at the Port Orange/Spruce Creek areas. Most I read about living in Daytona itself is negative. But, just to be close to the beach would work for me.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Definitely consider Ormond Beach as well. Don't get sucked into the black hole that is Palm Coast. Stay away from Palm Coast!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 02:41 PM

What's wrong with Palm Coast?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Definitely consider Ormond Beach as well. Don't get sucked into the black hole that is Palm Coast. Stay away from Palm Coast!!!
I vote for Ormond!
There are some lovely parts of New Smyrna as well.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Babe View Post
What's wrong with Palm Coast?
Hmm, where to begin? A maze of roads with identical and poorly-built ugly stucco houses plopped down with no rhyme or reason. It's full of rude northerners, mostly from New York and New Jersey. It is everything that's bad about sprawling development. Nasty canals going everywhere to drain the water since the town was built on a swamp.

As a proud native Floridian, there are many things I love about my home state. Palm Coast however, exemplifies everything that I DESPISE about Florida.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 PM

231 posts, read 849,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Babe View Post
Hey. My husband may get a job in Daytona so I have been researching the area. So much info!! Any thoughts? My family consists of me, my husband, we are in our thirties, and our two children, aged four and two. I am originally from Maui and my husband is from Houston. We are currently living in Houston. We would love to live on Maui forever but the cost of living is ridiculous. I am a beach girl and cannot stand the thought of not living by it. I am also a paranoid person so....... Somewhere that is somewhat safe is a must. My husband is in car sales. How's that business doing out there?

I appreciate all advice and opinions.
I think I have a good perspective.. Heres my background..

Lived in Daytona for 2 years,
Have been to Houston many, many times,
Currently live in Maui due to job displacement
We are planning on moving back to the Daytona area in the next few years hopefully.. We have a 2 year old and are in our mid-30's!!

I would look into Port Orange also. I've been looking at Spruce Creek (I'm a pilot so it's only natural to live in a fly in community), schools are rated very well. There is alot to do in the Daytona area. Races, bike week, Biketoberfest, spring break activities, nice beaches, good fish restaurants, boating. Unfortunately the associated traffic. But if you live in Ormond/ Port Orange you can avoid the traffic whenevr you want.

I love the overall feel of the Daytona area. There are some crappy areas, but thats the case in all cities. I'd say there are places in Kahului much worse than in Daytona in terms of housing. Plus Daytona is not nearly as expensive! Beaches are differnet than in Maui, but beaches none the less. It's not as windy or dusty in daytona, and it rains a bit more so everything stays greener! Less water bills, cheaper electric, and cheaper housing!!!

Put it this way, I like living in Maui, it'll do for the time being, but I'm already researching homes andkeeping an eye on the housing market in Daytona..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida