Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM

442 posts, read 1,579,290 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling this is going to be a strong and very active hurricane season, might be especially for the Tampa Bay Area. What's your plans to get out of dodge if a big one come this way?
I have no reservations about packing up and getting out of state if needs be, but am somewhat unsure what would be the best bet. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 04:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
It would kinda depend on which way a hurricane is tracking.
If a strongly worded order to evacuate is issued and i was in that area we're going for a drive,probably north.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 AM

443 posts, read 559,145 times
Considering the only way to evacuate the state by car is to drive north.... I'll go with north.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Head up I-75 into southern Georgia. There are umpteen towns south of Macon with places to stay and wait it out should a Category 4 or higher hit. Historically storm tracks don't head that direction and at worst rain would be the worst offender.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Considering the only way to evacuate the state by car is to drive north.... I'll go with north.
Actually if the hurricane stays out in the water and heads in in Central Florida you sometimes can head South to avoid the worst of it and it makes it easier to get back home after the storm passes.
In 2004 we headed to a family reunion in TN that we didn't plan to go to, but when we saw Cantori on US1 just a mile from our house and the damage it was worse than being here. Then they kept saying the storm would cause flooding in North Carolina and TN. so we left and came back when the storm was still in West Florida and forgot all about the possible tornadoes still we heard warnings on the radio. Also coming back in there was nothing open....they had big signs starting in South Carolina saying get gas before you got to Florida,
The worst part...with everything closed there was no where to stop if you needed a restroom. We did find 1 gas station/convenience store way off I-95 in Jacksonville-probably 100 cars there to use the restroom and tap the gas.

Forgot to mention that on the day of mass exit from Florida, it was taking 12-15 hours to get out of Florida on I-95. My son and I both worked at a place to buy supplies so we worked till 8 that night before we took off. I-95 was still at a standstill so we took US1 North and made it out of Florida in about 3 hours.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
If an evacuation was needed i think i'd get out via back roads rather than interstates, perhaps 19, or 41 or 301.. i've seen too many weather disasters where exit on the interstate became just a stuck in one giant traffic jam scenario.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,639 times
Nowhere. I don't and have never evacuated. Most of the hurricanes we've gotten have been brush bys from category 1s or 2s and have caused minimal damage. Only hurricane I would evacuate for would be a strong Category 4 or 5.

I also have no patience to wait in long lines of traffic. Back in 2005, a friend of mine's mother had to wait 15 hours in traffic to get out of the Florida Keys because Hurricane Dennis was predicted to directly hit Key West as a category 5. The storm changed its mind and went to the west of us and weakened to a category 1.

Last edited by CountryFisher; 06-05-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 01:45 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I-95 was still at a standstill so we took US1 North and made it out of Florida in about 3 hours.
Excellent advice, along with the prior mention of US301 or US19. US441 is another good choice too.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
I evactuated south for a hurricane and avoided the storm. Would do it again if needed.

Where you go depends on where the hurricane is coming from and where it is heading. Each storm is different. You should have multiple plans for evacuation.

Keep lists of 800#s for major hotel chains, so you can call to make a reservation at the town you are heading to.

f you evacuate with pets, have lists of chains that take pets and get your reservation a few days in advance if needed. Then cancel the reservation before 6pm on the day of arrival if you dont need to evacuate. Hotels that allow pets book the fastest.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,965,807 times
Unless its a high Cat 4-5 nowhere. I am coastal but ill just stay within Collier and go a tad inland. They make it a huge hassle to get back in if you evacuate, even with the sticker and I don't deal welll with people telling me I can't get to my belongings. I've not evacuated in the past 30 years, including for Wilma who was a direct hit for me and I more than likely dont plan on it this year . My husband works a Cat 5 certified building with the Emergency Operations Center so depending on what they allow this year I'd just stay there a night or so.if I didn't want to stay in my home through my husbands job I can stay in certain hotels with my pets for free if I'm within the evacuation zone, which I'd maybe consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida