Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM

129 posts, read 428,855 times

Advertisements

I'll be making my way down the Coastline to Key West for an extended stay.

Any do's or don'ts that you all recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:42 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
The only thing I can think of in terms of "don't" is, don't speed, especially in the Lower Keys!

DO:

Visit Bahia Honda
Simply walk the streets of Old Town
Visit Ft. Zach
See the sunset at Mallory Square
Visit the Key West Botanical Gardens
Check out Drag Queen charity bingo on Sundays
Stop in the East and West Martellos
Go to the top of the lighthouse
Visit Hemingway's House
Visit the Little White House
Take a stroll along the Bight
Take the trip out to the Dry Tortugas
Snorkel at a reef
Relax in a hammock and watch the world go by
Take a picture by MM 0 and the Southernmost Point
Stroll through the cemetery
Kayak the small islands throughout the Lower Keys

The list goes on and on!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:35 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
More "do's":

* Have breakfast at Pepe's
* Visit the Butterfly Conservatory
* Take a sunset cruise
* Eat oysters at the Hog's Breath raw bar
* Have a glass of wine or a beer at The Porch wine bar (corner of Caroline and Duvall - upstairs in the Porter Mansion)
* Have a beer at Captain Tony's on Green St.
* Check out the music at the Green Parrot
* Visit the Mel Fisher shipwreck museum
* Do a ghost tour
* Catch an NFL game at Jack Flats on Duval
* Take a leisurely walk through the Truman Annex
* Rent a bike and tour the whole island

Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 15,502 times
Could you also recomend some marinas?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:52 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Even more DOs:

-Eat at El Siboney (best cuban restaurant in Key West; very good place)
-Ride the Conch Train
-Visit the aquarium
-Go to Fort Zach Taylor Beach
-Go to the Fort Zach Taylor Fort
-visit St. Mary's Catholic Church
-eat at Matthessen 4th of July; I recommend getting the hot dogs, the milkshakes and a chocolate chip cookie

DON'Ts

-stay at a very expensive hotel
-go down Duval Street in the evening and night (very crowded during those hours), morning hours are best; less crowded
-go to Smather's Beach
-go to the drag queen places
-dress like a tourist, it looks tacky

Old 11-07-2010, 03:08 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Check out Courtney's Place. It is a B&B. Off of the beaten track but just a short walk to Duvall street.

We also use to walk along the residental areas and check out the homes. That is a personal thing though.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
I must ask, the "See the sunset at Mallory Square", is that where you watch the sunset over an outer island.
I remember the first time I went to the keys and everyone cheered when the sun set over another island. I couldn't understand because I saw better sunsets in Clearwater.

I think the Keys are great but for sunsets can be overrated.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:58 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I must ask, the "See the sunset at Mallory Square", is that where you watch the sunset over an outer island.
I remember the first time I went to the keys and everyone cheered when the sun set over another island. I couldn't understand because I saw better sunsets in Clearwater.

I think the Keys are great but for sunsets can be overrated.
There is a tiny island just off the coast of KW called Sunset Key, but the sun doesn't appear to set on the island itself. It sets in the gulf and it is very pretty. But the sunset party at the square is really just an excuse to celebrate and have fun. There are lots of musicians, magicians, illusionists, and other entertainers that perform in the square, along with craftsman and vendors selling their wares, from a couple of hours before sunset until soon after. Since the sun sets every night, I think the whole idea is that in KW you don't need to have a reason to have a party.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
There is a tiny island just off the coast of KW called Sunset Key, but the sun doesn't appear to set on the island itself. It sets in the gulf and it is very pretty. But the sunset party at the square is really just an excuse to celebrate and have fun. There are lots of musicians, magicians, illusionists, and other entertainers that perform in the square, along with craftsman and vendors selling their wares, from a couple of hours before sunset until soon after. Since the sun sets every night, I think the whole idea is that in KW you don't need to have a reason to have a party.
Guess when I was there it was setting right over the island.
After being in Fl for 20 years i just could never understand the thrill and we used to just laugh when everyone cheered.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Exactly.

If you're feeling like an early bird, the sunrise over the Atlantic is also nice

And a "second that" on eating at El Siboney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida