Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:13 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britifftay View Post
Hello! I am also very new at this..... My wife and I live in New Albany, OH as well and are planning a move to Florida in the next few months hopefully. We are 24/26 years old and are both Registered Nurses. We are going down to look at areas and homes at the end of this month for the third time. We are also looking for a similar community like New Albany, although I think it may be tough....New Albany is very nice! We are also looking in the Tampa area about 25 miles inland in the Land O Lakes, Zephyrhills area. Have you been down to look at areas of have you gotten any other good advice??
Neither Land o Lakes or Zephyrhills compare to New Albany.

I am from Columbus and know all three areas well enough to tell you that neither of them compare.

If you have to go with either of those two then LoL would be closer to New Albany then Zephyrhills.

Also you have to account for your needing jobs and close to hospitals or doctors offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
if you're looking at LoL or Zepherhills..

Try Lutz. I've heard it's a very nice up and coming community.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Your biggest surprise might be WDW. It won't be a deal breaker for you, I'm sure, but know that the pay is low, and it's difficult to get a full-time job. Lots of people come with the admirable goal of working for WDW and making families happy. But the truth is it is not the best company to work for. If you are an engineer or part of the talent you will fare better, by far.

Waitress jobs at Disney are tough to get, and it takes years on a waiting list to get a full-time wait position. Most folks tend to prefer to take a small part-time job and get the discounts but also find a better job that really supports them. I have a cousin that has worked a few hours a month for them, for years and years to get the discount. It use to be you could get the family in for free and it was so worth that, but I think they have severely cut back on that, and it is now a discount. Don't quote me on that, though.

Like I said, not a deal killer but something you are probably going to want to know up front. Otherwise a local will fill you in when you get there.

I've had friends get a better shot at Universal, though, and there are all sorts of hospitality jobs throughout the area so you can spread your own brand of magic on happy families and couples and make their dreams come true.

I use to live in swFlorida (Fort Myers) for quite awhile and there are a lot of Midwesterners there, but mostly of the cranky retiree type. You probably want to escape that sort of thing, so I would suggest central Florida. I lived there for awhile and liked it so, so much more! Younger folks! More jobs! Happier people!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 16,762 times
Default moving to florida

you need to check out the Lakewood Ranch area just outside of Bradenton-Sarasota.google Lakewood Ranch and clik on Central Park.Great area,near everything,even a new Walmart---2 miles east of I75---easy to get around---getting ready to sell our place in NEO and move here full time

Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,290 times
Smile So did you move?

I was actually looking for a group that lives in Florida now that moved from Ohio. I grew up in Mansfield, Ohio and raised our daughter in Columbus Ohio. I have lived in Florida since 2002.

I started this search with the thought of finding a group from Ohio that we could share in the travel costs of going home...plus it would be a great social network too.

All of my family still live in Ohio and with some advanced notice and a little planning, more regular trips home to see family would be awesome.

I came across your string and joined this group to see if there was such a group here and to respond to your posts. I hope all has worked out for you.

John

Old 06-15-2014, 08:59 AM

94 posts, read 289,704 times
I know this is old, but I'll respond anyway. I'm originally from Athens, OH. There is more to do here where I live in St. Pete, the weather is alot better, and I'm happier here. The downside is the job market for me hasn't been kind, and this doesn't just affect my daily life, but also, it's next to impossible for me to ever travel back home. Major downside, which all I can hope for is that it improves.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:54 PM

36 posts, read 62,388 times
To me, it all depends what part of Ohio you're moving from and where in Florida you're moving to.

When I was 8 we moved from Dayton to the Destin area. I'm still living in this area, and so glad I got to grow up here instead of Dayton. We still have family in different parts of Ohio, and to me Dayton is on a major decline. I'm currently 26 and looking to get a career going still. The only part of Ohio I'd be willing to move to is Columbus. I went to Ohio St for a year and loved living in Columbus, and that city is on it's way up (unlike most of the state).

Even though I do enjoy living here, I cant stand the humidity in the summer, and I absolutly have had it with tourists (no offense to anyone on here).

Old 12-25-2014, 06:18 PM

19 posts, read 41,791 times
Why do people always use abbreviations when offering advice to people who for the most part looking for information. How is someone going to know what CDC, WDW or any other ABC mean? There acronyms for almost anything but when used as a teaching or learning tool they are useless and more often confusing

Old 12-26-2014, 11:10 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,797 times
Tagging myself in this to refer back to later. I've lived in Columbus for 10 years, and will be relocating to the Clearwater/Largo area in the next 2 years, as soon as I can sell my house. I'd love to make some Ohio friends when I get there!

Old 02-10-2015, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times
Facebook page for the same type of communication and sharing! Go Buckeyes!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flori...?ref=bookmarks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida